college courses

For any worries about education in general.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

college courses

Postby mattsglobe » Sat Oct 22, 2005 5:01 pm

im really stressed about my college courses, my first quarter term of year 11 has just ended and i'm really torn to as which a levels to apply for.

the most i can take is 5 and that requires alot of dedication,
i want to take
art and design
performance studies
advanced mathematics
english
biology
chemistry
law
so what should i take?
the art and design represents two a levels

i am naturally talnted at performance studies, art and math. i don't know what job i want, but i know it needs to pay enough to get me away from my home town. i also want to go to university!
any advice?
nobody's perfect
so lets all be a nobody
mattsglobe
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Postby luvva » Sat Oct 22, 2005 6:46 pm

I think to decide you should probably find out some information about what you'll actually being doing in the course and what appeals to you most. Lots of people want to do a course until they actually go through a few classes and realise that it isn't right for them.

You should make sure you go to all the college open days and evenings too, then you could talk to the teachers about the courses.

We didn't have to make our final decisions until about a week before we started, and we still had about 3 weeks to change our courses, so you do have quite a bit of time.

Also, you should go to any taster days that are offered for any subjects.
luvva
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby mattsglobe » Mon Oct 24, 2005 1:27 pm

thanx.
nobody's perfect
so lets all be a nobody
mattsglobe
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Postby smile » Mon Oct 24, 2005 9:35 pm

I think it's important to choose subjects that you will enjoy as you're going to get fed up of them if you're stuck with the wrong subject for two years. Also think of the amount of work, don't do too much as 5 A levels is a hell of a lot of work! A levels are very very different to GCSEs and require a lot more dedication.
When you reach for the stars, you may not quite get them, but you won't come up with a handful of mud either.

Just remember to keep smiling!
smile
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Brown_Eyed_Girl » Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:56 pm

Hey, don't worry yourself too much yet!

I was unsure about what subjects to take up until the day of enrolment for college! Your GCSE results may also influence your decision? (I loved a couple subjects but wasn't sure if I'd acheive much) In the end, I chose what I was good at and liked best. I do English Language and English Literature as seperate courses, although they are so different from each other, though some places do a combined course which may be worth looking into if you like them both but want more options. Also, I do A level art and by the sounds of it it will be great for you. It's not at all like GCSE..no artists studys, no work based on other artists, just some research for ideas and all your own ideas and work - especially good as your talanted at it.

If you don't enjoy the subject, you will find the courses hard. It's great when you do what you like though, not one single 'bad day' or things you don't want to do!

I agree with smile, 5 will be a hell of a lot of work. I do 4 and I've always got so much work to do..You can start with 5 and if you find this is too much, you can drop one (as a couple of my friends did) or swap. Remember, do what you want to do and don't worry if you do less than you wanted because Universities only ask for 3 A levels.

And like luvva said, you have plenty of time to change subjects if you don't like them, and you get a taste of your subjects at 'taster days', although I found these are more 'what we do' based and you don't get a real flavour for the subject until the first few lessons.

Don't worry about university yet either, they deal with that at college with lessons, drop in sessions etc. They even have sessions where you can discuss having a gap year.

Enjoy your final year, it goes so quick! (Especially enjoy the feeling of knowing you will be rid of those horrid school dinners soon enough)
*Hope for the best, expect the worse*
Brown_Eyed_Girl
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby mattsglobe » Fri Oct 28, 2005 11:30 am

Thankyou everyone, i think i'll be ok now, i'll jus' relax.
nobody's perfect
so lets all be a nobody
mattsglobe
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Return to School, College & University