GCSEs!!!!!!

For any worries about education in general.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

GCSEs!!!!!!

Postby GurlRock » Wed Nov 09, 2005 6:34 pm

I am Year 10 and I have just realised a have a porper exam on Monday!!! It is scaring me that these are the exams that are like the most important throughout the whole of your school life and I'm freaking out now!
I am really worried about my science because I am rubbish at it and want to be a nurse!
Is anyone else doing there GCSEs or can anybody help? :o
POWW
GurlRock
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby vixen1985 » Wed Nov 09, 2005 6:39 pm

hey GurlRock
i did my gcse's 4 years ago, and like you i wanted to be a nurse, and as soon as i heard exam i went into panic. they might have changed but the science ones you do throughout year 10 are multiple choice, well they were 4 me, and as long as u do abit of revision(not too much) you will be fine. im no currently doing my nurse training. if i can get through gcse's u can. keep ur chin up and think positive. you CAN do this.
vixen1985
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Postby Brown_Eyed_Girl » Wed Nov 09, 2005 7:06 pm

Just remember you can only do your best and no more, which is good enough..

I did GCSE's this summer. They're not that bad. The multiple choice ones were okay because, well, they were mutiple choice! Even if you don't know the answer, you can guess by a matter of elimination.

Or..like I did..do the questions you are most confident about..then look at your multiple choice grid. And fill the answers in by looking at your others (for example, if you haven't chose many Bs, choose a B) But beware it's not a good idea to do this..but if all else fails.. :D

Hope it goes okay, good luck! :)
*Hope for the best, expect the worse*
Brown_Eyed_Girl
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby Jess1234 » Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:16 pm

I'm doing two of my multiple choice exams next thursday for chemistry. I'm in year 10 aswell so i know how hard it is. At the moment i have 4 pieces of coursework in for friday and I've barley started three of them! I want to become a midwife so like you i have to be good at science! Just try your best and believe that you can do it! I'm sure you will do really well! Let us know how you get on!
Jess xxxx
~ Vision is knowing who you are, where you are going, and what will guide your journey ~
Jess1234
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby lilessexgal » Thu Nov 10, 2005 12:35 pm

yeah the best thing you can do is not panic and just revise.

i take it you are about to do the mulitiple chose tests in science.

i was always rubbish at science and got Es and stuff on them but i managed to get to Bs on them aswell through simply guessing.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]
lilessexgal
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby GurlRock » Thu Nov 10, 2005 1:38 pm

Thanks but I am the worst person at revision!

I easily get bored :roll:
POWW
GurlRock
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby danielle » Thu Nov 10, 2005 3:32 pm

i never studied once for my gcse's because i thought you already know everythink you need to know and if you dont then its to late.

i got D's and C's so that just shows if i had done some studing i probably would of got better grades. as my predicted grades where alot higher
ALL FOR FUN AND FUN FOR ALL
danielle
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby Seaside Belle » Thu Nov 10, 2005 4:37 pm

Hi - I did my GCSE's over ten years ago :o (where does the time go!)
and I just wanted to say I don't even remember what I got now. I got a few A* and I passed all at A-C and I DID study. I can remember being really happy with my grades and proud of myself.

Sooo, what I am trying to say is that although I did well, I've not really needed GCSE's since i did them. I got my A'levels and my degree but they were the only things I needed my GCSE's for. By the time you hit 20 GCSE's don't matter - they are important - but not everything!

From where you are GCSE's look like some huge scary mountain but they are not - they are important for now - but not forever. Try your best on them but don't lose perspective of the bigger picture. Worrying will damage your chances probably more then not studying!
Seaside Belle
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby lilessexgal » Thu Nov 10, 2005 5:09 pm

if you dont like studying make it fun instead of just reading a book. i found those bitseize websites on bbc quite helpful because they gave you miny tests.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]
lilessexgal
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby all_apologies » Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:02 pm

I agree with lilessexgal. When I was doing my Standard Grades (equivalent to GCSEs), I used the bitesize site a lot. Each subject (e.g. physics) is split into tests on is individual topics (e.g. waves; momentum; equations of motion etc). I'd do each individual test and note which ones I did worst on, then go and study those sections in my notes and textbook, and also answer pastpaper questions specifically on those topics.

Revision is always going to be boring, but this way you get a bit of a change of scenery from reading books all day. I wouldn't say bitesize is enough to get you through the course, but it'll certainly give you a basic grounding which you can then add to with your textbook studies.
all_apologies
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby captainf » Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:18 pm

Whats this about multiple choice questions? In my day we didn't have multiple choice exams in school and college. :-?
Remember how the runway lights looked one night long ago when you were lost and found your way, and how-you still dont know?
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby Moose » Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:24 pm

When did you do yours, C_F? I did mine in '99 and we had some multiple choice in the Science exams. I did the same as lilessexgal: guessed! And I passed... :)
Moose
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby kitten » Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:26 pm

I know captain neither did we! I got B's - D's.

A-Levels were really hard especially since I'd missed several months of the course. Apparently they are alot easier now.

I found making notes and sticking them on my wall helped me, I have never been very academic and I hated studying but it pays off. Just remember it's only a small part of your life in the grand scheme of things.
kitten
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby sparkly_star » Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:29 pm

kitten wrote:A-Levels were really hard especially since I'd missed several months of the course. Apparently they are alot easier now.

I did mine 3 years ago and I found them hard :o
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can and the wisdom to know the difference.
sparkly_star
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby kitten » Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:34 pm

I did my a-levels 6 years ago
kitten
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Next

Return to School, College & University