Confidence

For any worries about education in general.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Confidence

Postby pink stripes » Tue Dec 20, 2005 6:22 pm

Hi

I would appriciate some help on this,

Basically, a few weeks ago year 11 had a parents evening, and most of my teachers said the same sort of thing, which was: 'you doing very well and I am pleased with your progress... but you are lacking a bit in confidence'.

Im not a very confident person and obviously this shows in my work. Does anyone know how I can riase my confidence. I nkow this is a stupid question but I do need some help.

I was also wondering if anyone has had this problem and if so, how did you tackle it?

Any help would be appriciated, I know this topic is silly and confusing lol xxx thanks
pink stripes
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby Liquidius » Tue Dec 20, 2005 6:43 pm

I had the same problem, and the way to tackle it is to take small steps and start doing things that make you feel uncomfortable and shy. Like talking in front of groups of people...etc. Don't ever be afraid to express an opinion, but you're equal to everyone else, and you're opinion is just as important.

Thats how I managed it anyway....slowly, but surely.
Liquidius
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby pink stripes » Tue Dec 20, 2005 6:56 pm

thankyou so much Liquidius, I will give it a go xx thank u xx
pink stripes
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby Bexical » Wed Dec 28, 2005 11:00 pm

Firstly i would try to find where there is a problem or where there was a problem that as made your confidence go down, i had this problem when i was at school and as soon as i left my confidence went through the roof cos i met new people and they took me for who i was ( my confidence went down cos i was bullied) I definately agree that you should try public speaking or group speaking and if there is a problem that makes you feel less confident then try to tackle it first !
Bexical
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby all_apologies » Wed Dec 28, 2005 11:11 pm

It helps to take the perspective of those around you. For instance, when I was in early secondary school, I always got really nervous before giving talks or presentations (as most young people do).

However, I realised that people around me wouldn't care if I was to mess up a little bit. Think about it - when someone else is the one in the spotlight, you don't really give it much thought if they aren't absolutely perfect. People around you aren't criticising every move you make, just as you aren't criticising them when the roles are reversed.

This doesn't just apply to formal talks and school work. Any time you feel that you lack confidence, it heps to take a step back and realise that the people you're with are most likely interested in what you have to say and aren't even paying attention to the little flaws you may think you have.
all_apologies
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pink stripes » Thu Dec 29, 2005 8:23 pm

thanks 4 all of ur help pplz!! x
pink stripes
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby Pwif » Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:52 pm

It's very easy to think that others are more confident than we are. They're just better at covering it up! If you're having a conversation with someone, concentrate on what they are saying, instead of trying to think of something clever to say in return. Very few people are good listeners, so if you actively concentrate on listening to the other person, you will become very popular. Turn your attention to what's going on around you, rather than worrying about what you're saying or what people think of you. If you are genuinely considerate of other people, they will like you for who you are; not for what you say. Don't compare yourself to anyone else or worry about how you come across; you're your own special person. Your confidence will soar.
Live life to the full
Pwif
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby Bexical » Thu Jan 05, 2006 7:58 pm

I agree its easy for us all pretend we are more confident than we are. and pwyfwb is right with what they say!
Bexical
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby JennaXXX » Fri Jan 06, 2006 12:40 pm

I can totally relate to you. All my teachers at school and college used to say how quiet I was and it used to get me down but dont feel inferior to the more confident people in your class. You are just as good as them and have your own special qualities. Remember that.
JennaXXX
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby pink stripes » Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:19 pm

thanks guys. iv read all of your advice and it's really helped me out. My confidence has never been really high, but now that iv read your advice, I think my confidence has had boost xx thx xx :)
pink stripes
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Re: Confidence

Postby Daftness2k3 » Sun Apr 30, 2006 11:44 am

pink stripes wrote:Hi

I would appriciate some help on this,

Basically, a few weeks ago year 11 had a parents evening, and most of my teachers said the same sort of thing, which was: 'you doing very well and I am pleased with your progress... but you are lacking a bit in confidence'.

Im not a very confident person and obviously this shows in my work. Does anyone know how I can riase my confidence. I nkow this is a stupid question but I do need some help.

I was also wondering if anyone has had this problem and if so, how did you tackle it?

Any help would be appriciated, I know this topic is silly and confusing lol xxx thanks

I'm a teacher and when I was at school I had the issue of speaking up and confidence, in some respects I guess I still do. Trick is (and I got this at college) so what if I'm wrong? What's the worst that can happen?:)

I always tell my kids if you get an answer wrong and it's daft at least we'll get a chuckle and move on and everyone loves a chuckle. In 3 years I don't think I've ever seen anyone get tortured for being way off mark, the vast majority just accept it. Facts are also when you speak and debate, you're more likely to learn.

In work, just remember if you're wrong, you're wrong, but at least you had a go and went for it. Good luck for the remainder of Year 11.
Daftness2k3
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Return to School, College & University