RE: racist comment by accident- I did it

For any worries about education in general.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

RE: racist comment by accident- I did it

Postby piper1692 » Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:26 pm

We were having a culture discussion in Geography and I said something which proved quite offensive to Asians and Africans. Now everyone's calling me a racist- a girl who hates my guts wanted to smash my face in because she has a half cast boyfriend!
I can't even answer my name on the register without someone being horrible. A half cast lad started hitting me today with a ruler and I turned around and told him to stop it and he called me racist!
Am I so horrible that I don't deserve anything good to happen? My mum's out right now and I'm seriously thinking about ending it...
La, la, la. I don't know what to type. Um, well, I like circuit training. But not running! I can't stand running! Not even for the bus, will I run!
piper1692
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Re: RE: racist comment by accident- I did it

Postby amanda11 » Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:45 pm

piper1692 wrote:My mum's out right now and I'm seriously thinking about ending it...

ending it???? you're blowing this way out of proportion, you know what its like at school, things blow over, in a few weeks everybody will have forgotten. Please don't say things like that, life is so preious, you shouldn't think like this, in a few weeks/months this will all be history.

what was it that you said anyway?

if you still feel really desperate you can pm me.
there is a light that never goes out
amanda11
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby PurePurple » Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:31 pm

Do you have full school assemblies?
You could announce to the whole school that you are very sorry.
PurePurple
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby Moose » Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:40 pm

xxPurplexx wrote:Do you have full school assemblies?
You could announce to the whole school that you are very sorry.

Eek! That would be a very brave thing to do, and it would be getting the whole school involved, which doesn't really seem necessary.

I think you should speak to a teacher and make sure they know what's happening. You can then let his/her take control of the situation: maybe one of your teachers could speak to the class as a whole about people having different opinions, and ways to put those opinions across.

If it's getting out of hand, don't try to handle everything yourself. That's what teachers are there for.
Moose
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby bellajennie » Sat Feb 11, 2006 2:20 am

If it was all in the name of Geography - I study Geography for degree - then I reckon its all ok! Sorry no that's not very sensitive is it. Seriously though, if it was a comment or reference made in a discussion situation where the focus was not on anyone in particular then you shouldn't worry.

When you talk about topics like this with other people there are words that can offend, but as the discussion was at school then surely the people you are being bullied by are just being too immature to deal with the ideas.

Furthermore, you should tell your teachers if it continues because it is bullying all the same. Try not to acknowledge what people are saying to you; silly comments are not worth listening to. As it was a genuine mistake then you shouldn't be judged.

Jen x
The World is Your Oyster - If only you could get the damn thing open!
bellajennie
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby JennaXXX » Sat Feb 11, 2006 3:51 pm

You should talk to your teacher. Everyone has the right to have their say but you may have offended some people but this obviously wasnt intentional. Speak to a teacher and I am sure they will be able to put things right.
Dont worry we all say the wrong things at times, dont beat yourself up about it. You are only human after all.
JennaXXX
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby Angela.1 » Sat Feb 11, 2006 7:10 pm

Hi Piper,

Sorry, I'm not being nosy, but if it's not too embarassing, do you think you could tell us what you said, that way we would be able to see if it was as awful as you think or whether it's just this girl's way of causing you grief.

The only thing I can suggest you do, is explain the comment and why it was made, if you were discussing cultures, then it is quite easy to offend as, Muslims have quite a hard time and can be very sensitive, understandably.

I can't really see how you can offend two separate cultures in one sentence, so please, if you can, tell us what you said, we won't be judgemental.

Stop thinking about ending it all, that's just silly, there is nothing you can do or say to make it worth losing your life over, especially, when in a few years, you won't even see these people anymore.
Angela.1
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby piper1692 » Sat Feb 11, 2006 7:18 pm

I said people might have to move to different places if a white person married an Asian person or something. It was from a magazine story months ago.
La, la, la. I don't know what to type. Um, well, I like circuit training. But not running! I can't stand running! Not even for the bus, will I run!
piper1692
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby Angela.1 » Sat Feb 11, 2006 7:32 pm

Sorry honey, can you explain further, which people? where should they move.

So far it doesn't sound so bad.
Angela.1
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby Brown_Eyed_Girl » Sun Feb 12, 2006 7:23 pm

I'd say to try and ignore people if they say things to you.. because it will blow ever, like everything does in school. People at school are always harsh. I'm at college and do Geography.. there comes out comments in discussions that may be seen as racist but nobody takes offence as it is just about Geography (ie Migration)

If it doesn't stop..then talk to a teacher..

Have you still got the magazine article? You could just show them?
*Hope for the best, expect the worse*
Brown_Eyed_Girl
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby Beckyt » Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:02 pm

I'm sorry to hear that you're having a hard time over a comment you made in class. It was obviously an innocent comment that ignorant people have used to their advantage to make your life a misery. We have to remember that racism can work both ways and using it as an excuse to bully others isn't on.

Where was your teacher is all this? Surely he/she should have been there either asking you to elaborate on your answer or to calm things down and try to come up with a solution to eleviate the tension. You're a school pupil and that's what they're their for.

You need to tell a senior teacher about what's been going on. I think you've more than paid for making an innocent comment based on a magazine article and why should you have to put up with this rubbish anymore?
Don't worry be happy!!!
Beckyt
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Postby Mr.L » Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:57 am

Teachers arent bodyguards though. This whole thing could blow over. Im not saying dont tell teachers but its jsut not my advice. Oh its immature etc not to. But it can makes things worse.

Sorry for taking the other route guys. It think you should like tell people your not and you didnt mean to. Its somehting for them to play with thats all, bullies who THINK they have a reason to disliek you. Its summer soon too it'll be gone by next year?

Good luck mate
Mr.L
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby spacegirl » Mon Jun 19, 2006 2:49 pm

i agree with mr. L, you're probably just better letting this one blow over. kids at school can be really cruel, and i reckon if a big deal was made of it, it would make the issue worse.
not if you were the last dandy on earth
spacegirl
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby all_apologies » Mon Jun 19, 2006 2:53 pm

Please note this topic was written back in February and is likely to have blown over by now.
all_apologies
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to School, College & University