Question about college subjects

For any worries about education in general.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Question about college subjects

Postby splodge » Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:02 pm

I have just done my first year. I originally studied Biology, Chemistry, Psychology and Sociology. Chemistry was too hard so I had to drop it and was told it was too late to pick up another subject. I recently got my AS results and I did well in Psychology and Sociology but I failed Biology miserably.

I was just wondering, should I just drop it and pick something else up or try really hard and retake the whole year?

I'm really worrying because I have no clue what to do. I have to go in on the 5th the enrol onto my second year but I don't know what's going to happen. I don't even know if I'll have the opportunity to talk things over with my Tutor or if I'll just be expected to enrol, knowing what I want to do.

And, if I should just drop Biology I have no clue what else to pick up. I won't be able to get into uni without at least 3 C's and I'll already be at a disadvantage because most other people will have 4 A levels or 3 A levels and an AS. Does anyone know any subjects that are similar to or tie in with Psych and Sociology?

If anyone knows please reply because I'm really freaking out :(
Slander against cats, write that down.
splodge
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby lilessexgal » Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:26 pm

look hun relax and just think carefully about what you would like to do.

would you like to carry on with biology because if you do i think you can retake the exam in december then go on and take the a level in june as normal. well that is what my friend is doing.

if you want to just swap subjects then go for something you think you will enjoy it doesnt have to be something that goes together.

im in my second year of college like you but iv only just started my as's but im taking music, media and pshycology and they are all quite different.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]
lilessexgal
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby luvva » Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:41 pm

It could be different at your college, but at mine, we do get the chance to talk to a teacher and discuss the options. Also, I don't think we're actually allowed to take a subject if we failed it. Personally, I think it would just be too hard to re-take your first year exams, while taking the second year.

You could either take Biology, and just work really hard at it, so you have it as an A level when you leave college. You could just pick up another subject, but then only have 2 A levels and an AS, or stay on for a further year. That would mean that you would have your A levels in Sociology and Psychology and either Biology or whatever you pick up, or both.

I hope that all makes sense!
luvva
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby splodge » Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:48 pm

Ohhhhhhh fudge I'm really screwed.

Argh!!! I have no clue what I'm supposed to do.

I don't even like Biology the only reason I carried on doing it was because I liked the people who were in my class. And I wanted to pick something else up that was similar to Psych or Sociology because that's what I seem to be good at. I've failed every Bio exam I've had so...

I'm so worried, I literally don't know what I'm supposed to do now.
splodge
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby PoisonedWounds » Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:13 am

You sound so like me last year. In my AS year I took psychology, history, biology and chemistry, completely failed biology and chemistry and did fairly badly in the other 2. (D and E). I couldn't continue with biology and chemistry and took biology again at AS. I ended up ith D's and an E in history. I'm going to uni soon to psychology. It is possible to get into uni with only 2 a levels, just pick places which also take general studies as an a level (if you do it) and preferably go for places asking for UCAS points rather than set grades. Plus, if you've done well in sociology and psychology it should be possible for you to get in somewhere :)
PoisonedWounds
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Postby splodge » Tue Sep 12, 2006 5:44 pm

Thanks for the replies guy :)

Well I originally planned to do Law and retake my Bio exams but they wouldn't let me so I'm just retaking my first year of Biology to get an AS and doing Psych and Sociology at A Level.

It's turned out okay, I just hope I pass them :-?

And PoisonedWounds, yeah that sounds like a good idea. The university I'm most likely to go to requires a minimum of 2 A Levels and 300-320 ucas points. So let's hope I get them :)

Thanks again for the replies :D
splodge
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Return to School, College & University