Multiple problems

Go here if you need cheering up, or if you feel the urge to cheer someone else up!
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Multiple problems

Postby captainf » Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:17 pm

Hi

I have multiple problems that interelate into one major problem. A few of you here already know what the problem is, but for those of you who do not I will give as brief as possible description of events..

Me and my family are moving house soon. My gran wanted to be closer to our relatives in London. Over the past few weeks she changed her choice of Milton Keynes to Nottingham for the very reason that we dont know anyone in MK but I know a few people in Nottingham. Also, my gran realised that she would get better value for money in houses on the outskirts of nottingham (Sandiacre) than she would in Milton Keynes and told me that we'll move there instead. So last week my family went to London to visit family and decided to go to Milton Keynes and they ended up putting an offer in on a house and texting me telling me thats what they've done. I'm absolutely gutted. The main reason for this is because I am certain that things would be easier for us in Notts as opposed to MK. We don't know anyone in MK so settling in will be abit harder and we don't even know the area. Notts is the opposite, i've been there enough times to know my way around and having friends there will enable settling in to become abit easier on us all. However, there is much more to this as I will explain..

As most of you know now, I am training to become a pilot. Infact, i've been given a start date for my Airline pilot's licence theoretical training (June 4th) Me and my parents have been in numerous discussions about where we're going to live and considering my flying. In Milton Keynes there is an airfield (Cranfield) but the cost is actually £106 per hour to fly. At East Mids Flying school they charge only £94 per hour, which is one of the cheapest rates i've seen for anywhere in the country. The difference is of course £12 but its the amount it will tally to which is the problem...

As it currently stands I have 45 flying hours and I need to get up to 200hrs for me to be able to do my Commercial licence flying (for air taxi, eye in the sky..etc to gain the right hours for the airlines) The cost of all this is very high!! Once I finish my current licence (PPL, which is almost complete now) i'll have about 50hrs and require 150 more to obtain the right hours to start my commercial flying. At cranfield at £106 per hour it will cost about £15,900.. at East mids it would be £14,100 to achieve the 200hrs mark. But thats just the start.. after that I will start my CPL, IR and MCC courses all required by the airlines and this tallys to an average cost of..

PPL £4000 - £6000

ATPL theory £2450

CPL Flying £15000 - £21000 (can be cheaper)

Instrument Rating £12000

MCC course £2250

ATPL exams £840

Medical £400

It doesn't take a mathematician to figure out that every little bit of money I can save can be a great asset to financing the more important stages in my flying training and where we're going to live is really going to make this a financial nightmare.

I'm also worried because the ATPL is regarded as 10 times harder than a degree - the program manager recommends we dont fly during the 18 month course and dedicate all our time to study. I'm just concerned that i'm going to get caught up in all the figures, maths, physics, biology, technical information..etc because I won't have any form of a break. I won't have a friend round the corner that I can see for 20mins whilst I have a quick break.... and to add to this, Milton keynes isnt anywhere near an airport, that once I have my ATPL, I can fly from as an airline pilot. Again, East mids would have been excellent for employment because bmibaby, ryanair, easyjet..etc all take on low hour pilots. Also training at an airport that has airliners and light planes enables you to make the right friends/contacts to get a foot in.

I just feel that in making this offer on a house in somewhere that we dont know anyone has really made things bad for me in my chosen career. I know I sound utterly selfish, but it appears that my parents havent considered me at all.

Thanks for reading and sorry that this is so long.

:(
Remember how the runway lights looked one night long ago when you were lost and found your way, and how-you still dont know?
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby brfc » Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:54 pm

its always scary moving somewere knew making new friends etc. im sure you will be ok once you get there cf. and im sure your pilot thing will get there too. theres one thing in life and that is if you want something bad enough you will always get it. hope it all goes well m8 take care brfc
brfc
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby Pwif » Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:28 am

Just a brief reply on this, CF.

Have you sat down with your parents and Gran and explained your situation exactly as you have on here. Maybe they're so wound up themselves about moving away from Cornwall and people they know that they're not thinking quite straight. It's a big decision for all of you, and it sounds like you haven't all sat down and discussed where you're coming from. I'm not sure of the reasons for moving to Milton Keynes (maybe because it's close enough to your other relatives and friends in London, but it's a lot cheaper?) Without understanding why your family have now decided to move to Milton Keynes, it's difficult to give advice. I can only say, sit down with them, and calmly explain your concerns.

Good luck.
Live life to the full
Pwif
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby captainf » Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:08 pm

Hey

Yep, we've been discussing it for months and months and months and i've put it to them endless times about the cost.. and they seemed to click and see sense in it until they went away. Indeed MK is closer to London but in all fairness my mum wont drive on motorways so theres no way they'll be making a trip down there unless its by coach, which is what they would have done regardless to where we lived in the country. I feel that they haven't summed up other important things. Indeed, we'll be closer to London (50miles) however, it would be nice to actually know people where we're going - as I said, if the ATPL's giving me a headache I won't have time to drive all the way down to London to see a friend for 20mins and then come back. Which means i'll just be very stressed all the time which will inevitably cause more arguements.

Also, today, nan has revealed that the place she went for is a bungalow. Something I was against. The reason for that is that we're not very close, especially me and my nan and space is quite important for us because she tries to control me - phones me when im out, takes note of what time I go to bed..etc. With a bungalow we're all on the same level and will be around eachother constantly. I will need my own study space and i'm not going to have that in a bungalow.

I think my parents under estimate me, or don't give me credability in this. The reason why I think that is because when mum text me about the house on saturday I just said I didnt want to move there. The following day my nan phoned up and told me that mum thinks im not talking to her and then added that she told mum that I was just having a tantrum and will get over it... I am not a child! I am just aware that this will effectively be the place that nan will die, where me and mum will be expected to live our lives. The sad thing is, is that once the ATPL is done I will have to move nearer to a city, whether it be Notts, Brum or London, for employment with an airline and if nan dies after i've done that i'd feel oblidged to move back to MK with mum to lookafter her as she has no partner and is very very very shy and lonely. So although I sound selfish, overall I don't believe I am.

They get home later today.
Remember how the runway lights looked one night long ago when you were lost and found your way, and how-you still dont know?
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby silver tree » Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:48 pm

I do think that it is worth sitting them down and putting your case forward to them as you did here - maybe give them the list of costs on paper. It might make a difference to them seeing it all in black and white.

However if that doesn't work then you just have to accept their decision as they are the people that are (I presume as you don't state otherwise) financing this move and your flying. Most of your reasons seem based on your ambition and while it's great that you're so ambitious it's not always fair to expect parents/family to make decisions based just on your dreams.

Also, what makes you think you won't make any friends in MK? That's something you can't know at the moment!
Ladies and gentlemen we are floating in space...
silver tree
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby captainf » Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:25 pm

Hey

Yeah, i'm going to put it to them later when they arrive home and see what they say. However my family are good at putting on tremendous guilt trips on me to make me see things their way and always assume i'm having a 'tantrum' when i'm angry that i'm not being considered.

As for the financial situation - it's me thats financing the flying. No-one has helped me with that, at all. The move is basically being funded by the house we're selling which means nan will have extra money in the bank once we've moved - before anyone says it, shes already made it clear that she has no intention of helping me fund the flying.

With regards to the making friends thing, what i'm more cautious about is this interelating with my ATPL study. Its recommended that we don't even take an hour a week out of our time to fly, and I am finding myself thinking that if we're not supposed to take an hour out to fly each week then we're basically expected to study constantly leaving little or no leisure time and this is what worries me with regards to meeting new people.. whereas if I had a friend i'll already have someone that knows me, rather than having to spend time with people trying to get to know them and vice versa.

I do agree that they shouldn't make their decisions purely based on me alone, but at the same time they could have helped a little rather than making it more of a financial struggle than what it already is. If I was a typical pilot I would have been asking mummy and daddy to pay for me to train in South Africa or the USA which would have cost £50,000 - £100,000. I've been very fair in taking the financial struggle on myself.
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby all_apologies » Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:45 pm

I see your concerns, but I think it's maybe stemming from the fact that it's time to break away from the nest and start your adult life as your own man. I'm not sure of your financial situation, but assumedly if you're funding your own training then you've got a stable income. If this is the case, is it not worth looking at leaving home and living wherever suits your needs best?

I sympathise with how things seem to have worked out badly for you with regards to the move, but at the end of the day there's not much you can do if it's not you that's financing it. If you looked into getting your own place, the only person you'd have to take into consideration is yourself in terms of location. Unfortunately, the downside of being dependent on someone else is that ultimately their needs are likely to come first when making big financial investments.
all_apologies
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby silver tree » Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:26 pm

captain_flynn wrote:
If I was a typical pilot I would have been asking mummy and daddy to pay for me to train in South Africa or the USA which would have cost £50,000 - £100,000. I've been very fair in taking the financial struggle on myself.

Please don't take this the wrong way but you have to get rid of this attitude. It will in no way help you in life. I know that it's a safe self defence stance to go to, I've felt like that at certain difficult points as well. These emotions harm you not help you.
Ladies and gentlemen we are floating in space...
silver tree
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby captainf » Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:02 am

Hey

I just want to state that i'm not playing on self defence or self pitty with that comment. :) It's well known that most pilots here in the UK actually trained abroad at a young age (which was paid for by their parents) If anything, its a positive comment I made about myself - Im working hard to make my dream come true and I will value it alot more (my instructor also told me that as he did the same 50yrs ago)

I wish I could but it's simply not possible to move out when i've got over £30,000 worth of training to go through. Thats why the cheapest flying rate possible was imperative. Although moving out would be a great idea, sadly at this current time its not plausible and cost effective.

It looks as if i'm just going to have to accept it.
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby captainf » Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:48 am

Hi everyone

I just thought i'd let you know how the chat went.

I spoke to them and told them the cost..etc and I put it to them nicely, I wasn't patronising or anything. Nan just said 'it's all too confusing for me' and my mum just said I should move out and go and live with my dad in London. After that they just turned their back on me and carried on talking amongst themselves. Theres not much I can say to that so i'll just accept it and see how I get on in MK because my dad would charge me alot to live with him, which will leave me with not enough to fly with and he never seems to understand how much study I have to put in.

Thanks for your input everyone.
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Return to Cheer me up!