Going nowhere fast...

Go here if you need cheering up, or if you feel the urge to cheer someone else up!
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Going nowhere fast...

Postby clobo » Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:38 am

Hi all,

Seems a little stupid to post this one here but I just need a little reasurance! I just feel like I'm stuck at a dead end with my life. I graduated from University back in June last year with a degree in Graphic Design and I just can't seem to get a job! I've applied for endless jobs but all with the same response - "we need someone with at least 2 years experience" How can I get the experience if no one will give me a chance!
At the moment I am working for my boyfriend at his mobile phone company, the moneys good but I really wanna do what I spent 6 years of my life training to do!!! I just can't seem to get anywhere! If anyone has any ideas then please let me know! I just feel stuck!!!!!! I feel like Uni and College were a waste of time...
Thanks for listening to my petty rant!
:)clobo:)

clobo
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby captainf » Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:51 am

Unfortunately nothing is easy in life and nothing is a certainty. It seems like you've been working hard for what you want in life but having a degree doesnt mean an instant job. It takes time and persistance to be successful in the work place now. As you build up experience in the job market you'll eventually get the job you want. Until then keep being persistant, it will pay off in time.

The best of luck.
Remember how the runway lights looked one night long ago when you were lost and found your way, and how-you still dont know?
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby clobo » Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:58 am

I know it will take time, but I'm seriously beginning to lose all hope! One of my friends got a job as a website designer 3 weeks after she graduated and my other friend got a job in our local newspaper also soon after. Her boyfriend got a job at the college I used to go to been an art technician. I just feel like everyone is moving on apart from me!

clobo
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby captainf » Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:09 am

Don't worry!!! I'm going for an occupation thats really difficult to get into aswell so I understand your frustrations. All I can suggest is keep being persistant as it will pay off in time.

Have you been to job centres and applied via them? Can your friends not recommend you to the companies they work at?
Remember how the runway lights looked one night long ago when you were lost and found your way, and how-you still dont know?
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby Moose » Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:23 pm

Hi there,
Have you thought about volunteering with a company or asking for work experience? I know you won't get paid, but even if you volunteered for one day a week or did, say, two weeks' work experience, you would have that company's name on your CV, and you would have contacts there should they ever be recruiting in the future.

Or... you say you work at your chap's mobile phone company. Is it HIS company? Who does his graphic design or marketing? Could you do it? Even if you didn't do it full time, you could then have on your CV that you were a graphic designer for his company as well as a sales person or whatever you do there now, and you would have a port folio of stuff to show a potential employer.
Moose
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby clobo » Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:52 pm

It is his company yes and I have already done the logo, letter head and business cards etc, so I have that on my CV. I guess that will help, it's just finding the jobs to go for!! Now doubt one will come along eventually that is right up my street, it's just a case of waiting. I did a week at a graphics company while I was at Uni so I guess that helps too. I'm just going to keep trying! Thanks for all your advice!!!!!

clobo
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby captainf » Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:07 pm

I noticed you said you did a week or so at a graphics company. Are there no positions on offer with that company? Its always worth asking companies even if there are no vacancies on offer because you could always ask them to keep you in mind or to contact you when a placement is on offer.
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby clobo » Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:31 pm

Yeah I know you are right! I just need to set aside some time and get my CV updated, my portfolio sorted etc. I need to just ring around and ask rather than waiting for them to come to me. That's my problem - I'm so lazy! Thank's for the advice! Wish me luck!

clobo
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Return to Cheer me up!