My cat's gone missing

Go here if you need cheering up, or if you feel the urge to cheer someone else up!
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

My cat's gone missing

Postby Moose » Sun May 27, 2007 1:45 pm

Hi,
I'm feeling really down because my cat has been missing since Friday lunchtime. We've looked all over for him, and I'm making some posters today to post through letterboxes and put up around the streets, but I feel like I won't get him back. He won't have had any proper food since Friday lunchtime, and it's really raining here. He'll be really hungry and wet.

I would love to hear from other people who have lost their cats but got them back - how long was it before they came back? What did you do to find them?

Thanks.
Moose
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby kitten » Sun May 27, 2007 2:18 pm

Thinking of you and the cat.

I worry about mine constantly when hes not in as usual so I know what you must be going through.

Hope he turns up soon. He's probably up to mischeif somewhere if I know cats.
kitten
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby Pwif » Sun May 27, 2007 8:43 pm

Any news yet??

Cats are normally home-loving, but changes to their normal day-to-day lifestyle can change things (ie upsetting their owners can lead to them going off for a few days).

Display your posters, but be positive. Why would Humps go off with someone else when he's got such a wonderful mistress at home??

Lots of love, xxxxx
Live life to the full
Pwif
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby peecee » Sun May 27, 2007 9:42 pm

Have you asked your neighbours to check their garden sheds, in case he's shut in one?

The first time my cat went walkabout, I was outside shouting for her for days; the neighbours eventually bound and gagged me, & threw me in the stream.

She came back eventually. Then she started doing it regularly - eventually, someone told me she'd started spending time with a little old lady down the road; the old dear was feeding her all the stuff she never got at home, and could look after her while I was out earning a pittance to keep her in cat food.

Do you think any of your neighbours are feeding your cat? If they are, you might have to get used to it, or staple his mouth shut.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Shine your light and let the whole world see.
peecee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Pwif » Thu May 31, 2007 1:14 pm

Moose,

Any news on Humps yet?

xxxxxx
Live life to the full
Pwif
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby Moose » Thu May 31, 2007 4:56 pm

Thanks for everyone's replies. He is still missing. We've delivered 200 leaflets, got posters in our cars, put posters round the streets, looked all over, phoned all the vets in the area, but nothing. A few people have phoned with "sightings" but none of them have been him. It's really horrible not knowing where he is. We're still out calling for him every night and checking the roads and gutters etc.

On the plus side, it is half term this week, and it's possible he's been locked in a shed or garage while people have been away. If that's the case, hopefully he'll be home tomorrow (when it will have been a week) or Saturday.

I suppose it's possible someone might have been feeding him, but I really don't think so because he is really shy and just runs away from people he doesn't know. And I'm sure he would have at least popped back to say hi, even if he had got a new person feeding him. No one seems to have seen even a whisker since Friday last week.
Moose
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Pwif » Thu May 31, 2007 6:14 pm

Really sorry to hear that, Moose. It's absolutely dreadful when your pet goes missing, and you don't know what's happened to them. Humps looks an adorable cat, and we're all hoping that he comes home safely to his mum soon. xxx (Are you listening Humps???? Your mum has promised that she won't cook you any more manky meals. You're safe to come home now.)
Live life to the full
Pwif
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby peecee » Thu May 31, 2007 7:35 pm

Damn. I'm a cat person, so I really feel for you. Pwif's a doggy mod, but her doggies used to run away regularly (somebody ask her about the police station... :P )

It has to be that Humps is a bit confused about the change of address, hun, nothing worse than that. I've been afraid to ask if you live near a road, but even if it came to the worst, somebody would have noticed, and nobody has. So he's kicking around somewhere, the little git. Cats DO do that, hun, honestly.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
p.s. when he left my flat last night, he said he really prefers the Tesco's SuperSaver Mankymix dented tins I feed him, to the Harrods Finest Mega-expensive Organic-ultra-fresh stuff you dish up... :o
peecee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby kitten » Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:08 am

peecee has mentioned a change of address, have you tried looking where you used to live, some cats have a funny way of returning to where they know?

Thinking of you.
kitten
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby luvva » Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:37 pm

My cat used to disappear for a couple of days at a time, never really sure why! She's calmed down now though. Cats do like familiar environments; my cat gets confused if we even get a new piece of furniture. Hopefully you'll hear something soon x
luvva
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby Moose » Sun Jun 03, 2007 2:00 pm

Still no cat. We were really hoping he'd show his face this weekend because if he'd been locked in a shed while someone was on holiday, they should be back by now. So far, nothing. I've checked several times back at the other address and put posters through my old neighbours' letterboxes and in the flat foyer so no one can miss it. We also spent ages yesterday searching in different places.

He already knows his new home as he's been going there since he was 8 weeks old on a regular basis. At one point he was spending more time there than at our flat. People keep telling me stories about cats that have gone missing for weeks or months at a time (someone told me about a cat that went missing for 3 years! :o He'd been away on a boat!) but I kind of have a feeling he is gone now. What, really, are the chances of a cat still being alive after spending over a week in someone's shed with no food or water? I am gutted.
Moose
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby kitten » Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:27 pm

Oh that boat - perhaps he's decided to go off on his summer hols.

I know how horrible it must be for you not knowing, don't give up - no news is sometimes good news.
kitten
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby Moose » Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:14 pm

Sad news today. The paper ran a story about him today, and a chap phoned me up this afternoon as a result. He saw a cat matching my cat's description dead on the main road on the Saturday early morning (we last saw him on the Friday afternoon). There was a picture of him in the paper, and the chap was pretty sure it was him. I think it was too, because of the timing, plus no one has seen him since that Friday. At least I know now. I just hope it was quick and he wasn't lying injured for long. Thanks for everyone's support.
Moose
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby peecee » Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:27 pm

I'm so sorry about your cat, sweet pea, it's devastating. But I really believe he didn't suffer, I hope you can believe that.

Hun, when cats are run over, it is very quick, I've seen it before. If the poor little boy had been badly injured to start off with, he would still have managed to crawl off somewhere to die.

Well, I bet I've just cheered you up no end... :-?

My advice would be to go and have a massive glass of your favourite wine, for medicinal purposes... :grouphug:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
peecee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby yessica » Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:04 pm

Hey

I'm really sorry to hear about your cat. Atleast now you know what happened and so it won't play on your mind. Nevertheless i'm sure that won't stop you from being sad.

Hope you're ok. Think of the happy times.

xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxox
:D Smile and the world smiles with you. Laugh and they all think you're on drugs :lol:
xoxoxox
yessica
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Next

Return to Cheer me up!