help :(

Go here if you need cheering up, or if you feel the urge to cheer someone else up!
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

help :(

Postby pink stripes » Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:21 pm

I've been putting this off for about 4 days now - but I'm need of some advice.

I left 6th form in July - I've never looked back though because at the end of it I hated it. I put in so much and didn't get what I deserved.

I've taken up driving - the majority of it is very good (or so my driving instructor tells me) But sometimes I do aboslutely horendous at it - I mean awful. Just stupid little mistakes but I seriously beat my upself for it and put my self down.

I'm dreading christmas for the first time in my life because of money - or rather the lack of it. I just don't know how I'm going to get presents for everyone that I want to.

I've been searching for jobs since Augst and got no where- I've had one interview in that time and the guy never rang me back. Whats wrong me? Why can't I get a job?

I recently lost a mate - Although now I'm glad of that becuase she caused nothing but hurt and upset. So I'm glad shes out of my life now.

I just need some help pls because I feel so low about everything.

Also its coming up to 3yrs since my nan died of cancer

--x
pink stripes
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby sunshine girl » Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:08 pm

It's always really difficult to adjust when you leave education, I found it difficult after leaving both college and Uni, it's just hard to get used to having to be a grown up and start making decisions about where your life is going. That's all pretty scary so I wouldn't worry if you feel a bit overwhelmed, I think it's a bit wierd not to be and it does settle down given time.

I wouldn't worry about the driving lessons, it's hard to learn to drive and your not going to get it all right the first time, that's why you're a learner! Everyone makes silly mistakes, I've been driving for 8 years now and I still do something silly every now and again, people aren't perfect! If your driving instructor is happy with you then be happy with that, it will all fall into place!

With regard to a job, what sort of things are you applying for? my mum always told me it's reasier to get a job when you've got a job and she's usually right so my advice would be to apply for everything you see! Loads of supermarkets and shops (like M&S) will be taking on seasonal staff for Christmas so maybe you could get something like that? just to tide you over and you can keep looking for something permanant. Will help with the money issues too!
sunshine girl
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Postby dollydiamond » Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:03 am

pink stripes.
dont worry about it maybe you just havent found the right job for you..
somthing will come up eventually.
sorry to hear about it being three years since your nan died, that really cant help the situation.
dont give up.
everything will work oout in the end i promisee.
xx
iloveyou.. xx
dollydiamond
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Postby Bel Bel » Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:13 pm

I agree with Sunshine Girl if you have a job you are more likely to get a job
You can alos do volunteer work part time if you only get a part time job
As an employer it looks really bad if you do nothing at all
Also your CV may not be impressing people. Ask someone to have a look at it for you to see if you can improve on it.
As for present you need to tell people you are on a tight budget and won't be able to afford axtravagent gifts and will be token gifts, thoughtful purchases but not a lot of money
Anyone who loves you can cares about you won't give too hoots that you haven't spent much money just that you have been thoughtful in what you've bought
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby Bel Bel » Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:15 pm

Sorry you could also trying temping which can often lead to a permanent position
They will also tell you if your CV is not up to scratch and help you improve on it

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby captainf » Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:40 pm

What sorts of places have you applied to?

All I can say is keep applying and eventually you'll get something. Just keep at it. :)
Remember how the runway lights looked one night long ago when you were lost and found your way, and how-you still dont know?
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby Bel Bel » Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:53 pm

someone said to me once that people out of work should spend as much time looking for work as they would go to work i.e 7 hours a day minimum
If you put that much effort in just for one day I am sure you would come back with something
Walk in every shop asking if they have jobs going as well as going to job centre, temp agencies and applying for jobs in local paper

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby Raven » Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:58 am

Yeah, a good idea is agencies. I signed up with an agency, had no real experience other than working in a pet shop. I did a short test and they arranged an (informal) interview at a place for me and I pretty much got the job and didn't even have a proper interview!

Re Xmas presents - don't worry. Suggest a secret santa between your family/friends. It's an excellent way to save money as you only end up paying for one present. I am into my student overdraft already so it's going to be tight this year!

good luck xxx
Raven
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby Xpose soph 07 » Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:08 pm

When I left six form I started temping becos I had the same problem as you, everyone I went to sed I didnt have enuf experience, it was rle frustrating cos I thought well Iv jus done me A-levels so course not...

Anywayyy I temped for bout 5 months, I rle enjoyed it actually and I got paid weekly, then after 5 months I applied for permanent jobs and started working as a PA, you can always exagerate how much u were involved with ur temp job (I didnt encourage u haha) and this way they no you have worked in an office enviroment or whatever before and it boosts ur chances if getting a rle good job. Im temping now!!!!

As for xmas presents, its the fort that counts and if anyone thinks otherwise then they can shove it!!!!

Xmas can be strangel rle u feel up and down, im sure ur thinkin of ur nan as xmas is a time for familys etc but jus try n focus on the positives :-)
Xpose soph 07
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby Z3girl » Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:39 pm

Hi Pink Stripes,

I passed my driving text on the 4th attempt - I beat myself up every time I failed but I got there in the end and so will you!! :D

There will be loads of Christmas jobs coming up in the shops - can you work in say tesco or Sainsbury’s to get some extra cash, just for now!

Im sorry to hear about your Nan - its always sad when an anniversary comes up - just try and think of the good times you had....

Hope that helps a bit !!! :)
He who dares, wins!!!!
Z3girl
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby pink stripes » Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:12 pm

hi everyone

Thanks for all of your replies :)

Feeling alot better about stuff now :) For christmas I've narrowed it down and worked out that if I only but for 5/6 ppl I can manage so that's good :)

As for work I'm still trying - but it's like everything is too far away or I have to have experience in that field of work or be qualified

Ah well I shall keep trying :)

thanks again

--x
pink stripes
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Return to Cheer me up!