A bad weekend.....

Go here if you need cheering up, or if you feel the urge to cheer someone else up!
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

A bad weekend.....

Postby usually_lost_girl » Sun Nov 11, 2007 3:11 pm

I'm having a mega mega awful weekend because:

1. My hard drive has bust and i've lost 50gig of stuff forever and can't even afford a new one
2. The company i work for can't afford to give me a payrise - they won't pay me anywhere near what i deserve, but i love the job.
3. If i want another better payed job i'll have to move out of town and i'm not sure i could handle that
4. I'm not sure if i'm even worth being payed more anymore
5. My mum isn't speaking to me cos i snapped at her this morning
6. My telly has broken and i can't afford a new one while my bosses are all buying big posh ones - even for their bedrooms (hmm, is point two so true?)
7. Tesco customer services are still fobbing me off even after 5 phone calls
8. I love christmas and want to decorate my house real nice but can't afford any of it - not sure i can even afford many presents
9. I'm lonely. Really really really lonely with nothing to do and no-one to do it with
10. The new tax rates for april are going to penalise the low earning singletons like me. How is that fair?

I'm having a bad weekend and need cheering up badly :'-(
usually_lost_girl
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Re: A bad weekend.....

Postby brfc » Sun Nov 11, 2007 5:19 pm

usually_lost_girl wrote:I'm having a mega mega awful weekend because:

1. My hard drive has bust and i've lost 50gig of stuff forever and can't even afford a new one

best bet is too look in the ad papers for low cost computer bits thats were i go

2. The company i work for can't afford to give me a payrise - they won't pay me anywhere near what i deserve, but i love the job.

if they can afford brand new tv,s im sure they can afford too give ou a payrise!

3. If i want another better payed job i'll have to move out of town and i'm not sure i could handle that

i know it,d be hard but mayb there would be a job which you could commute too closer by. save moving then

if you feel your an asset to the company then your defenitly worth being payed more for

try explaining to your mum how stressed you are with work. im sure she will understand

6. My telly has broken and i can't afford a new one while my bosses are all buying big posh ones - even for their bedrooms (hmm, is point two so true?)

as above if thats true that they cant afford too give you a payrise why can they afford new tv,s?

tell them you will change your net people unless they help you sort out your problems

8. I love christmas and want to decorate my house real nice but can't afford any of it - not sure i can even afford many presents

we havnt got much money for xmas this year so just bought little things for people. nothing to expensive. at the end of the day its the thought that counts not the cost!

9. I'm lonely. Really really really lonely with nothing to do and no-one to do it with

why not try joining a club? ive just joined a slimming club! dont laugh :D but its great too meet new people who have the same interest.

10. The new tax rates for april are going to penalise the low earning singletons like me. How is that fair?

welcome to britain were the rich get richer and the poor get poorer. its not fair and im going too express that in the ballot box soon.
brfc
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Re: A bad weekend.....

Postby retrochav » Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:31 pm

Weekend from hell it seems!

BRFC has come up with some useful ideas,

Here are some others:

If your salary is below about £11,700 or was last year, apply for working tax credit. Any single person earning this or less this year or last year, and is over 25 and working 30hours or more can claim.

If you work less than this, then consider other sources of income. Internet surveys provide small easy income, and websites such as freecycle offer items that can be collected/delivered for free or low cost. Internet auctions can bring in some cash if you have items you dont need any longer.

Foccussing on pounds can be dispiriting - catching the pennies is easier and mounts up quickly. Like you, i used to feel frustrated at low wages. By bringing in a few pounds extra a month, i could save for luxury without the debts my mates accrued.

An evening class could bring in new friends, cost little and qualify you for better paid jobs. Learn Direct can advise whats on offer locally to you.

If you would like more information please PM me.
whatever your problem someone else has been there and bears the scars.
retrochav
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby usually_lost_girl » Thu Nov 15, 2007 12:17 pm

An update on how i feel 4 days later:

I've come to terms with it now - i do have some of it backed up elsewhere, even if it will be difficult getting it all back again. And there is still hope i can get a new one on the warranty. Even if not - it's all just stuff. There's more important things to worry about.

At least I'm happy in the job which is more then some people ever get. And it might improve one day if i keep pushing. and to answer retrochav I earn 15k so am in that horrible place between qualifying for benefits and being "well off". 15k might seem a lot but i live alone and have a few debts. I'm willing to bet if i got myself up the duff i'd be better off. Not wanting to sound bitter about the system or anything. Still - i'm plodding along really so at least i'm not going downhill financially - I'm staying stable but living modestly. I just feel i deserve more then "modest" given that i work so hard and have fantastic qulifications and experience compared to other people who seem to be nowhere near as good as me employee wise yet have loadsa dosh.

I've decided i just ain't gonna move so i'll deal with that and move on.

I know deep down i am - and i could be payed more if i moved away but i've made the decision not to so it's my own fault.

We made up - think it's ok now

Well i decided to say sod it and let myself have a treat this time instead of going without and went out and bought a big posh telly. I got an amazing deal and planned my finances well so i know i'll be able to pay off the debt (which i got interest free)

I called them up and gave them what for! Even if i don't get what they promised i feel better about it for having told them what idiots they are.

Seeing as i just bought myslef a big telly can i really say i can't afford presents? I'll find a way to, and anyway, I've decided i don't love christmas anymore, see next point........

I've just realised how awful this christmas will really be. I've got very few friends to do anything with - even my family don't like to see too much of eachother. Everyone i know (friends and family) are coupled off so even when i am with them i feel left out and lonely. I'm going to be miserable the whole time. In fact i can't remember the last time i really enjoyed christmas day. I get all excited before hand but on the day i suddenly realise how alone i am and how i don't really even enjoy the company of my family that much. Partly because i'm jealous of them having things i don't - like a husband or b/f to share it all with. And partly because they aren't much fun and never want to do things I enjoy!

Happy to say i looked further into this and it turns out it won't make too much difference to me. Few.
usually_lost_girl
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby retrochav » Sat Nov 17, 2007 12:02 pm

Hi usually_lost_girl,

It seems that writting down issues and looking at ways to resolve them is a powerful tool to problem solving. I will certainly give this method a go more often so thanks for that.

I am putting this message out for anyone else who feels the system is up against them - so please dont take this bit personally:

Being a lone parent on benefits is not the easy life the press would have you believe. I work with a lot of lone parents and although £123.03 per week (based on income support, child tax credit and child benefit for parent and one child) seems generous - try feeding, clothing, paying bills, transport costs and having any sort of social life on it! Yes rent gets paid, but not water rates or any service charges, Council Tax gets paid but the slightest error can cause "overpayments" and more debts. It really is like living on a tightrope. And this is all it will be whilst you are on benefits. They only rise with inflation - where as bills rise far faster. Gas and Electric were rising 18% last year at least, benefit rose 3% - so 15% more for bills has to be found from only 3% more money.

The benefits system is tough, its designed to discourage anyone from turning to it. Once on it, confidence is lost, poverty sets in and many become trapped in it unable to earn the sort of money to be truely free of its rules and regulations.

Whilst the system has to be only a safety net (else it would be an attractive option) its worth keeping informed that in reality its a very patchy safety net indeed, and considering getting pregnant to have a home and guarenteed money should be fully looked into first as its tougher than it looks!
whatever your problem someone else has been there and bears the scars.
retrochav
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Return to Cheer me up!