I'm feeling depressed

Go here if you need cheering up, or if you feel the urge to cheer someone else up!
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

I'm feeling depressed

Postby captainf » Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:31 pm

I'm feeling so down lately and I dont really have anyone that I can talk to about it. The reason why is because most of my friends are busy and the one person i'd normally talk to when im down will probably get angry with me.

I applied for a job last week in a collectable model shop. I havent heard a thing from them, not even an interview. I really really wanted the job because i've been collecting models for 13 years and I would have been so happy there. Alternatively i'd like to be a driver for local delivery type services but all require 2yrs experience and I only got my licence in January this year.

Last week me and the girl im in love with talked and after that things seemed alot better between us until saturday night. I said something rather regrettable which made her so angry with me. After that we argued and that spilled over to sunday. We did talk and things calmed down but shes been rather quiet + offish since. I asked her if I possibly stood a chance with her still and she said 'maybe' but since the weekend it feels like I have no chance at all. Every time I think about not even getting a chance, after everything we've been through this year, I could just cry my eyes out.

I'm really down about the flying too. I still have money to hour build with but i'm wondering if I can cope with it. I dont know why I feel like this suddenly. I think its down to a complete loss of confidence in myself over the past few months. I cant seem to really pick myself up and encourage myself at the moment. I havent flown for months. Last night my mums bf (whos my old flying instructor) was talking to me about the flying and he put his arm round me and said 'I know you're trying hard, you'll get to the airlines eventually, dont worry' and I could have burst into tears. It was so hard not to.

I sometimes sit there watching TV, or on the computer, or even when im out walking and I just feel like i'm going to cry. I dont seem to have an answer as to why all the time. Mostly its when something is on my mind, but the past 2 weeks i've managed to just cry without even thinking about anything.

Whats wrong with me? Why am I being like this? :(
Remember how the runway lights looked one night long ago when you were lost and found your way, and how-you still dont know?
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Re: I'm feeling depressed

Postby retrochav » Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:03 pm

Your really up against it Captain Flynn, so if you werent feeling deppressed i would be really worried that a breakdown was comming.

Crying and feeling hopeless is the body's safety valve - and a warning to get some help and comfort.

The job you crave is a two fold issue. Whilst needing two years experiance of driving means most openings will be a longer term aim, there may well be companies that will give you a trial. Right now may not be the time to apply on spec. as you are feeling fragile - but later on its an option you could try.

As for the collectible model job. The reality is that you will be competing with others just like you, and there will be others let down too. For the shop to be a success, there must be a large pool of other collectors nearby. You could write and suggest that you be considered to cover shifts, or kept on file for future vaccancies - this would show you are keen.

Alternatively, cast the job hunt a little further to the next town where there is a model shop.

You have lots of good advice to offer others, and your flight training really inspired me (I'm too scared of heights to take that up - but i joined the GYM through your example). Its true what your mums BF said, its a waiting game to get into certain careers - so maybe ask others how they broke in and see what you could glean.

I wont make suggestions about this girl. You know my thoughts on her, I just hope she proves my suspisons wrong and supports you.

Do talk to your friend, talk to us, and if needed speak with MIND, the Sammaritans, or your GP. You'd never let us guys suffer unhelped, so make sure you recieve the care and support you need too.

Good luck
whatever your problem someone else has been there and bears the scars.
retrochav
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby captainf » Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:33 pm

Hey

Thanks for replying. The crying did help at times.

Yeah thats true. I will have a look around and see if theres any small companies that require drivers and are willing to give me a trial period. My mums friend is supposed to be setting up a company here in MK that will require drivers but theres no set date as to when it will happen so I cant really wait anymore for it to happen (although will apply when its up and running)

Yeah unfortunately I probably was up against like minded people and it looks like someone else probably got the job instead. I go into that shop regularly now (and it only opened recently) so hopefully that will work in my favour. I do know of another model shop in the same shopping centre but the guy tends to work alone. I could ask there though.

Thankyou. I try my best to hand out the right advice and use my past experience to help. I'm just curious though, how did my flight training inspire you? I'm glad it did, but i'm just curious to know. Indeed the flying is just a waiting game, but it costs so much too. I wanna apply for sponsorship with Atlantic Airlines next year, to which if I get it will have me living in Coventry for the next 6yrs or so at the very least - but the competition for it is so high. Most pilots go through my frustration so I know im not the only one.. but some seem to get there so easily because they have rich parents and its very frustrating coming up against these people.

Yesterday I played pool with the girl I like. It was the nicest day. We went with her friends and throughout she would hold my hand, put her arm round me.. even stood behind me and wrapped her arms round me and kissed the back of my neck. It really made me melt and im really hoping this means we're on the right track now? Maybe if I dont put any pressure on her and carry on like this we'll be okay and this could lead to us getting together. It has put me in a much better mood and I do feel more positive at the moment.
Remember how the runway lights looked one night long ago when you were lost and found your way, and how-you still dont know?
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby retrochav » Sat Nov 17, 2007 11:43 am

You inspired me because i am aware that flying is expensive, time consumming and requires 100% concentration for safety reasons. I thought back to all the things i have wished to do in my life, but always thought i wasnt clever enough, rich enough, or focussed enough.

Reading your posts over the months, i realised that those things dont need to be barriers. You've worked hard to fund the things you want, and as you said in your post, sponsership is an option where we cant fund things ourselves.

Despite you leading a full life, with much personal suffering at times, you are able to realise the importance of concentration when you need it.

I felt inspired to at least attempt the things that seemed out of reach. I now find myself doing activities that i didnt think i could afford, succeed at or stick out. I thank you, Captain Flynn for demonstrating that anything is possible if you keep aiming for it - even with real life issues surrounding us all the time.
whatever your problem someone else has been there and bears the scars.
retrochav
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby captainf » Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:14 pm

Im sorry I took so long to reply. My hard drive died last week and I only got a new one yesterday.

I'm really happy that I inspired you. I really like helping people and inspiring them, especially in the right direction. I'm so glad that you now feel as if you can do things you felt you couldnt before. Thats really commendable and inspirational for others too!

I'm feeling quite low tonight. Things seemed to be going so well with the girl I like until I asked a stupid question last night. I asked her if she was close with her ex and she said yes and that she missed him. With her saying that I asked her if she was considering getting back with him to which she replied with 'hmm' I didnt understand what that meant and asked her to clarify it and she got annoyed. I feel rubbish now because shes so offish with me. I honestly am trying to do everything right but whenever she gets annoyed with me I just break into pieces. :(
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Return to Cheer me up!