Quitting Smoking!

Go here if you need cheering up, or if you feel the urge to cheer someone else up!
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Quitting Smoking!

Postby retrochav » Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:02 pm

Hi Guys,

Have read allen Carrs book, bought the patches (to avoid the weak momments) and am about to quit smoking.

I know from experiance i will be all over the place emotionally and wonder if anyone has any advice to help me through the withdrawal i am about to go through.

All hints, tips or words of support would be really appreciated
whatever your problem someone else has been there and bears the scars.
retrochav
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby all_apologies » Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:22 pm

My neighbour quit about a year ago, and while he was going through the process kept a little box of cocktail sticks on him at all times. Even just holding one and/or chewing on it distracted him, and he says it was the most helpful thing he tried when kicking the habit. So you might look daft, but it's definitely worth a try!

Hope you find a way that works for you, and that the patches help to curb your cravings. Good luck :)
all_apologies
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby captainf » Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:39 pm

I dont smoke so I cant comment on how to deal with quitting..

However reiterating in my topic what you said about inspiration, well, what you're doing is very encouraging and inspirational. You're doing something you didnt think you would and you're going to be so much healthier and happier once you succeed.
Remember how the runway lights looked one night long ago when you were lost and found your way, and how-you still dont know?
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby pink stripes » Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:52 pm

hi retrochav

Firstly congrats on atually having the strength and determination to quit! :) You shoud be so proud of yourself

all_apologies neighbour had a good idea with the cocktail sticks - try something that will distract you :)

--x
pink stripes
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby angelsbaby » Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:10 pm

this might seem a bit wiered but when my mam quit she used to keep a few lolly sticks on her (the ten or five pence white ones) and pretend she was smoking through them, she called them her little sress sticks, it really worked
angelsbaby
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Postby brfc » Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:15 pm

angelsbaby wrote:this might seem a bit wiered but when my mam quit she used to keep a few lolly sticks on her (the ten or five pence white ones) and pretend she was smoking through them, she called them her little sress sticks, it really worked

mayb try a whistle lolly pop the noise would take your mind of smoking :D haha
brfc
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby pink stripes » Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:26 pm

brfc wrote:
angelsbaby wrote:this might seem a bit wiered but when my mam quit she used to keep a few lolly sticks on her (the ten or five pence white ones) and pretend she was smoking through them, she called them her little sress sticks, it really worked

mayb try a whistle lolly pop the noise would take your mind of smoking :D haha

You never know.....
:)

--x
pink stripes
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby retrochav » Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:17 pm

Thank you guys, i really appreciate all your comments. I have had a hellish day and reading all the advice and encouragement has really given me strength.

I will certainly try the lollies, and carry some cocktail sticks for times when i cant suck candy. A huge thanks to all those who have replied and i will let you know how i get on,

best wishes
retrochav
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby pink stripes » Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:44 pm

hi retrochav

hope you're feeling a bit better :)

keep us posted :D

good luck - we know u can do itt

--x
pink stripes
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby peecee » Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:15 am

Hi, honey.

I've never smoked, but I do have other vices... :wink: You're doing a fantastic thing, I know it's really hard work. But I know you've got the will-power and the strength of mind to knuckle down to it. If you do feel yourself getting narky, bash a pillow and scream. It works wonders for women all over the world, although I'll probably never get promoted at work :o :D !

In the meantime, maybe some inspirational words will help?

Lots of love
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Pee
Shine your light and let the whole world see.
peecee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Bel Bel » Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:51 pm

Take one day at a time and have a calender that shows month to a page and mark off each day, after a while it becomes so rewarding to see yourself really achieving. If you fall off the wagon don't beat youraself up just get back on
At then end of each week treat yourself to a reward with the money you have saved
Good Luck =D>
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby peecee » Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:03 am

How's your mood today, petal? :)

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
peecee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby retrochav » Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:46 pm

Hi guys,

Well peece, its day three and i am just about getting through....

well in this job (i have three!) i do home visits to do advice work on debt, welfare benefits, housing, employment etc. so you can imagine that many of my clients smoke due to stress and general social exclusion. I had five visits today.

Two clients are well known to me, and bless them they didnt want to smoke around me! I insisted they smoke if they need to because i could feel the anxiousness rising in their faces. Infact it didnt concern me at all!

The third client didnt smoke so that was fine. The fourth client was so distressed i bought her twenty fags (very much against the rules!!) I came so close to lighting up with her - it builds empathy and a "your one of us" type thing, but i resisted.

My last client didnt smoke but i felt really on edge and had to run to the train station to avoid the tobacconist!! I'm now chomping lolly pops which is certainly helping - thanks angelsbaby.

The cocktail sticks are very helpful - i twidle them round my fingers like a cheerleader with a baton!!!!

So heres to another day.
retrochav
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby peecee » Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:06 am

Excellent! So I don't have to post today's "cheer up", then! :D
peecee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Bel Bel » Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:41 am

well done retrochav - stick with it
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Next

Return to Cheer me up!