Stupid, stupid girl...

Go here if you need cheering up, or if you feel the urge to cheer someone else up!
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Stupid, stupid girl...

Postby Weasley » Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:17 pm

I did something really stupid last night and you will probably laugh but I stabbed myself in the palm of the hand separating frozen burgers (that weren't actually as frozen as I thought they were!) Anyway, I lost the feeling in my little finger and it went all numb so I went to casulty and I now have to go for an operation tomorrow because the knife went so deep it severed the two tendons that make my little finger flex. I guess I'm just a bit worried because I have never had an op before and never been put to sleep. They have got to cut my hand open and if they can sew the tendons back together. The doctor said I may not get the feeling back due to nerve damage. Has any one else ever had a similar op? Just need a little reassurance I guess...
xxx :)
Weasley
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby captainf » Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:20 pm

Ouch!!!!
Remember how the runway lights looked one night long ago when you were lost and found your way, and how-you still dont know?
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby helicopterpilot » Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:16 am

Sheeesh - good luck!!
helicopterpilot
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby Bel Bel » Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:10 pm

Let us know how you get on weasly. Hope it all goes well.
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby HappyGoLucky » Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:04 pm

Oh dear - that's awful.

I don't know anything about these operations but I hope it goes well. Good Luck!
Life is like a box of chocolates... you never know what you're gonna get!
HappyGoLucky
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby Weasley » Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:14 pm

Just to let you all know the op was successful. The staff at Oswestry hospital were really good and made me feel really safe. I was more scared about been put to sleep but I was out for 2 and a half hours and didn't know anything! I now have a huge bandage on and cant use my left hand and my little finger will always be numb but the tendons have been repaired so can bend it again in time. My hand just really hurts now and I havent seen the cut but it's pretty big apparently as the 1 tendon shot down to my wrist! Oh well, I'm sure I'll survive, just a bit miserable, I can't even do my hair! :(
xxx :)
Weasley
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby bellajennie » Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:52 pm

Aw glad it went well!!! Use this as a major excuse for tlc! If you can't do your hair, someone else will simply have to help you :D then you can get some much deserved pampering!!!

And don't worry about the scar or anything it will fade really quickly and your hand will be near normal soon enough x
The World is Your Oyster - If only you could get the damn thing open!
bellajennie
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby peecee » Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:11 pm

Well done, young' un - I'm so glad it's all over. :o

PLEASE follow the hospital's instructions on taking painklllers - don't try to be a hero(ine), it's only short term and there's no need to be in pain if you don't have to be. And it's quite common to feel depressed after an operation, it's not only because you're fed up that you can't pick your nose... :wink:

Bellajennie's right about getting everybody to look after you! :D I'm scared to suggest you get everybody to bring you a different flavour ice cream when they visit, because the mods will ban me :rofl:, but definitely make the most of it, because before you know it you'll be well enough to start work again (maybe steer clear of frozen things, though, hun...? :wink: )

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
pee
Shine your light and let the whole world see.
peecee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby snail » Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:13 pm

Glad to hear it wasn't too bad :D

If your finger will always be numb make sure you are always careful of it - it's very easy to burn it or trap it in a door etc if you can't feel it. I know that probably sounds stupid but it is actually a known problem.

While you wait for the scar to fade you could make up some cool story about how you got it and see if it impresses potential dates . . . something like, you threw yourself in the way of a speeding car to pull a child to safety, or you cut it on a branch pulling a kitten out of a river :wink:

I'm now using what happened to you as a warning to a friend who always insists on separating frozen chicken pieces with a knife . . .
snail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby HappyGoLucky » Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:03 am

Glad it went well! :D

You can get someone else to do your hair for you, among other things like...seperating frozen burgers but make sure they don't use a knife!

snail wrote:If your finger will always be numb make sure you are always careful of it - it's very easy to burn it or trap it in a door etc if you can't feel it. I know that probably sounds stupid but it is actually a known problem.

Hmm...yea. Better keep your little finger out of harm's way now!
HappyGoLucky
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby lidopig » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:57 am

Hi,
About the nerve damage and loss of feeling,severed nerves can repair themselves over time,so don't give up completely.Good luck,and milk that sympathy :wink: !!
lidopig
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby Bel Bel » Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:50 am

Hi Weasley
Glad your ok to a point.
I had my glands removed from my armpits about 12 years ago and I have lost the feeling down the back of my arms.
The worst thing is over the years i get really itchy patches and you can't feel yourself scratching it which is a real weird sensation. The good news is wherever the itchy bit is it tends to get a bit of feeling back once the itching finally stops (can go on a for a few weeks on and off).
12 years on and I still have a large patch i can't feel on both sides but it has improved from how it was initailly
And at least you didn't chop it off completely :o

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby HappyGoLucky » Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:34 am

Bel Bel I don't really get it.
If you can't feel down the back of your arms, how does it feel itchy? #-o
HappyGoLucky
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby Bel Bel » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:20 pm

I know it's a really odd sensation. I can touch them and feel myself touching them but can't feel them being touched.Does that make sense. It almost like I am touching someone else but my brain knoWs differently that's why it feels so weird.
When the itching starts it feels like it's inside, deep under the skin, I guess it might be when the nerves repairing themselves. I feel I have to itch them, it's a natural reaction to an itch but it's totally a waste of time becasue it doesn't relieve the itch. Sometimes I have actually broken the skin scatching so much.
It happened quite a lot in the early years but doesn't happen that much now so I suppose they won't get any better now

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby HappyGoLucky » Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:13 pm

I think that means you feel your fingers touching them?
How annoying must that have been - scratching when it's pointless!
HappyGoLucky
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Next

Return to Cheer me up!