Rehoming my pusscat

Go here if you need cheering up, or if you feel the urge to cheer someone else up!
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Rehoming my pusscat

Postby Neesy » Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:12 am

:(

having to give this serious consideration as one of the dogs managed to get hold of her last night and she had to be prised from him jaws............

Normally take great care to keep them separate, she has her own dog-proof room, but last night was "one of those things" :(
Neesy
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby snail » Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:46 pm

Oh dear, that must have been terrifying for her . . . is she OK?

You might be right about re-homing one or the other, as the cat is probably frightened just knowing the dog is still around - and she must know.

I'm a cat person (I had a beloved companion for nearly 14 years) so I'd obviously say get rid of the dog, but it's your decision! Are training classes for the dog a possibility? Perhaps your vet could give you some advice.
snail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Neesy » Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:03 pm

I think she is okay - she came back this morning but I will be giving her a thorough checking over later.

I've decided to fight my cat's corner and teach those darn dogs (we have 2) that it is her home too!!! =D>
Neesy
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Re: Rehoming my pusscat

Postby Pwif » Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:10 pm

Neesy wrote::(

having to give this serious consideration as one of the dogs managed to get hold of her last night and she had to be prised from him jaws............

Normally take great care to keep them separate, she has her own dog-proof room, but last night was "one of those things" :(

I am definitely a dog person, but used to own lots of cats when we were growing up. If your cat had to be prised from your dog's mouth, you definitely have a problem. You will never be able to be confident about leaving them near each other in future, just in case something more serious were to happen. To be fair to both dog and cat, I would rehome one or the other (you have to decide). I would not be happy if one of my dogs was aggressive to another animal, and I would definitely want the reason checked out. Was the cat antagonising the dog? Have you had a chat with your vet to discuss the situation? Hope you get it sorted.
Live life to the full
Pwif
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby Pepsi » Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:09 pm

If it comes to re homing your cat, I would suggest talking to the RSPCA about them taking your cat. I know it would be painful to give them up but you can be safe in the knowledge that they screen people before re homing animals and do home visits to check the animal is settling in ok.
I would speak to the vet and see it they can give any advice on stopping your dogs going for the cat again. If they can't I personally would put the cat up for adoption cause I would feel so bad if they got to the cat again.
Pepsi
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby Neesy » Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:53 pm

Brody (cat) didn't come home last night but she was back this morning! A little subdued but otherwise okay.

I have spoken to a lot of people on Pet Talk (a brilliant forum for pet lovers) and they have given me lots of tips and advice so the new regime starts today - Brody keeps her home and the dogs start to learn their place! [-X
Neesy
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Return to Cheer me up!