I feel put out

Go here if you need cheering up, or if you feel the urge to cheer someone else up!
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

I feel put out

Postby Scott Summers » Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:10 am

What it is, is that my Bro and Sister in Law have had a baby boy about 4 months ago, and and I have very little time with my nephew. So understandably I snatch every minute I can get with him.

Recently though it seems as though my Sister in Law is purposely keeping me at arms length, not letting me pick up my nephew because he needs a nap even though he's just woke up from one not long ago, or going to their room to breastfeed him because she knows that I'm wary of picking him up just after he's fed for fear of him spitting up, or some other "reason".

Oh and while I remember it's no use talkin to my bro cos he doesn't like to cross his wife (a.k.a. Under the thumb)

But the main question is am I being too sensitive to this or what?
Scott Summers
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Postby lidopig » Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:25 am

Hi there,
I can see why this is a problem for you.I think you have to speak to your sister in law to get the answer.Just calmly ask her if she thinks you're spending too much time with your nephew,and if so why? It may be nothing and just your imagination,on the other hand,there may be a reason you hadn't thought of. Good luck,and I hope things get sorted!
Nigel
lidopig
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby Raven » Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:34 pm

She might just be really overprotective as all mothers are with their young children. have a word with her and see if she has a problem
Raven
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby morris mouse » Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:52 pm

Raven wrote:She might just be really overprotective as all mothers are with their young children.

Hi there,"Scott Summers"

Try and have a friendly word with her.

As "Raven" has said,could be that she is overprotective. I'm sure she'll
not mind you talking to her,and this could well "clear the air" for both
of you.

Who knows,you may well get more of a chance to see your nephew :D
ImageImage
morris mouse
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby LemonJuice87 » Mon May 12, 2008 4:53 pm

I was exactly the same when my daughter was born, for about 6 months I didn't like other people picking her up or holding her for a long time. If they did, i was in their pocket waiting for the tiniest cry or anything for me to say "I'll have her back now"

There were only two people I felt safe holding her. My Mum and Dad.

It's a phaze and your sister in law will get used to people wanting to hold her son, every body wants to hold a baby. They are cute and don't answer you back lol.

I was well over the top over protective, but my Mum had a quiet word with me and said "If you let other people hold her for abit, or look after her for abit. It gives you 10 mins to yourself!" So maybe you could say that to your sister in law. Tell her to grab herself a cup of tea while you have a cuddle off your nephew.
You know you're a mum when the thought of food shopping alone becomes exciting.

When you and your significant other are having an argument, just take all of your clothes off during the spat and stand there. Something is bound to happen!! =]
LemonJuice87
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Tue May 20, 2008 10:11 am

I think Lemonjuices advice is very good. Just say I'll hold him while yuo put yuor feet up for 10 minutes. x
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby Bel Bel » Tue May 20, 2008 10:16 am

Tell her you want to make sure you doing everything the way she wants so can you hold the baby and can she give you any pointers to make sure you are doing it correctly, like supporting the babies head
Alot of new mums are just paranoid about everything
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Return to Cheer me up!