Homesick

Go here if you need cheering up, or if you feel the urge to cheer someone else up!
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Homesick

Postby sarahmienwok » Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:14 am

Hey all, Im new to this so hello there! Nice to meet you all!

I'm feeling down at the moment, in truth I have been for a few days. I'm living away from home, and I'm missing my friends and family a lot. I've made new friends here, and they're lovely, but I dont know them well enough yet, and we dont get to see each other till the weekend, and even then it's not every weekend.

I dont know if it's me missing home or whatever, but everything seems to be annoying me at the moment. I feel like everyone is out to get me, and it's getting me really down.

Sorry, I just needed to get it off my chest. Anyone have any tips on dealing with homesickness?

Thanks x
sarahmienwok
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby Liquidius » Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:57 pm

Hello, and welcome to PP. :)

When I moved away to Uni I felt homesick for a while. The best way that I found to deal with it was to distract myself by doing different things, and getting to know people.

It sounds like you're already making an effort to do that, but why can you only see your friends at weekends? Maybe you could have a night in at your new place?
Liquidius
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby sarahmienwok » Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:44 pm

We all live too far away from each other to see each other in the week. There are a lot of us and it's sometimes difficult not to feel left out of things that are going on. At home, I have a smaller group of friends, so that never happens. Although back home, that sort of thing wouldnt bother me. But now I'm in a completely different country, and dont speak a word of the language, so what seems like a silly thing really gets me down.

You're right though, I should get off my bum and do something, and not wait for someone else to organise something. Thanks :)
sarahmienwok
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby reckoner » Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:15 pm

Hi sarahmienwok,

What you're doing sounds awesome - and scary. A lot of people wouldn't be prepared to go alone to a foreign country where they don't speak the language. Personally, I'm incredibly jealous, and I admire and envy your courage, but no wonder you're homesick.

Just remember that, gradually, it will change. You'll become more familiar with the place and you'll get a real kick out of getting better at the language and, eventually, you'll be proud of having turned a new strange place into a second home.

It may be hard for you right now, but what you'll learn will be stuff that will be invaluable to you throughout life. And the worse you feel now, the more you'll appreciate it when things start to turn around.

Hang in there, I'm sure it will be worth it - and then some.

Good luck and all the best.
reckoner
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby sarahmienwok » Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:50 am

Thank you for your reply, reckoner, I really appreciate it.

Deep down I am the happiest I've been in a long time, and it's because I'm here in another country, doing a job that's worthwile. I can just be a moron sometimes, and push people away by the way I act, which ends up making me ten times more miserable. It's my own fault.

I've decided I'm going to be happier from now on, and even if I dont feel it inside, I wont let it show. I'm sure it will pass, I've only been here for 3 months. I've actually decided to stay here for another year so I hope I do get over it! :) xx
sarahmienwok
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby reckoner » Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:15 am

Hi sarahmienwok,

We all have days like that and I honestly believe that those days of feeling down contribute directly to the days when you feel good. Two sides of the same coin, you can't have one without the other. So you're right - fake smile through it!

I have a little trick I use to keep myself cheerful when I'm not otherwise in the mood. Don't laugh. I think "What would Phoebe [from the show 'Friends'] do?"

In case you find her to be the annoying one, you can pick any character that you like from a book or film or whatever, someone who feels the way you want to, and just kind of pretend you're them.

It will either make you feel better - or make you think I'm crazy... :)

Good luck, I really respect what you're doing xx
reckoner
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby sarahmienwok » Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:39 am

Haha, what fantastic advice. I'll definately remember that! Thanks! :D
sarahmienwok
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby reckoner » Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:34 pm

If you do it, don't forget to tell me who you pick! xx
reckoner
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby Bel Bel » Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:45 pm

I'd pick phoebe everytim she is so laid back, funny and doesn't care if everyone thinks she is mad - you got to love her :D
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby reckoner » Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:53 pm

My other half thought this plan was crazy, until I suggested his alter ego: The Artist Formerly Known As The Artist Formerly Known As Prince (aka Prince)
reckoner
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby reckoner » Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:56 pm

Now, whenever he's feeling down, he grabs his crotch and sings falsetto. Works every time :)
reckoner
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby Bel Bel » Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:04 pm

:rofl: not surprised, you can't take yourself seriously when your doing that
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Return to Cheer me up!