Feeling Whale-like!!

Go here if you need cheering up, or if you feel the urge to cheer someone else up!
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Feeling Whale-like!!

Postby RagDoll » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:07 am

I went to a friends house last night and we ended up looking at some old photos from nights out, birthdays etc. etc. which was a giggle but also sooo depressing - I looked so much slimmer in those photos compared to how I look now :(

I really want to lose some weight, but I find it very difficult to keep motivated. A couple of years ago I lost about a stone, found it relatively easy and felt great. I don't know where my will-power has disappeared to, because I just can't seem to stick to a diet/healthy eating plan at the moment. I did lose a bit of weight before I went to Budapest (in March!) but I couldn't see the difference in the way I looked/the way my clothes felt etc., so I got down about it and stopped trying.

I know I just need to bite the bullet and diet, but it's easier said than done. I find that I can be good during the day, but when I get back from work/at the weekends I get so tempted to eat rubbish. It doesn't help that my boyfriend is a little stick insect who doesn't put on weight despite what he eats (I am just jealous lol) so he can just sit there munching on pizza, chocolate and whatever else he fancies.

I know this isn't a serious problem really but please can someone cheer me up/give me some words of encouragement/advice? Thanks :)
We don’t see things the way they are; we see things the way we are
RagDoll
Taken Root
Taken Root

Re: Feeling Whale-like!!

Postby rufio89 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:10 am

How much weight are you trying to lose? Or are you aiming for for clothes sizes? It depends really how much you're trying to lose.

I've lost almost a stone since Christmas, just by not being greedy! Like if I'm eating and theres still food on my plate, but I'm full, just leave it, and basically just by being more aware of what im eating.

Alcohol is also a killer for weight gain.
rufio89
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:14 am

If you did want to try a diet, you can do the sacred heart diet (everyone at work is doing it - you can search on google for it) you are guaranteed to loose between 10 and 17 pounds a week. You are supposed to do it and then lay off it for a while and then do it again. The soup for it smells lovely. I think the diet is a bit crappy but it's only a week at a time. I fancied trying it just for a week before I go on holidays but my mam winges "you aren't fat" - yet I tried a dress on last night and she said "it doesn't help the way you are standing with your fat belly sticking out" - I did point out that I couldn't exactly just move my fat belly. My dad has also for years said I need to put on weight, now I have he keeps dropping hints I should join a gym or laughing at my belly :(.
A hug is a great gift, one size fits all.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:16 am

Also if you eat a lot of cake/crisps/chocolate try and cut them out. I lost about a stone a few years ago by not eating crisps for about a year. Cut them out and say have a treat on saturday with them?
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby RagDoll » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:23 am

I'm not really too bothered about how much weight I lose per se, I've crept up to a size 12-14 and I used to be a 10-12 and I want to get back to that size (if not a bit slimmer really). My Mum said you need to lose about a stone to drop a clothes size, which is what I did before.

Alcohol isn't really a problem for me - I don't go out or drink that often anymore. My problem is boredom/comforting eating. If I've had a rubbish day I want to eat something fattening to cheer myself up. It's the same if I'm really bored.

Dipsy - I will look into the Sacred Heart Diet, it doesn't sound healthy losing that amount of weight so quickly though. I want to lose it and keep it off (like I did before, until it all caught up with me about 9 months ago :( ). Having said that, I think losing quite a bit of weight quite quickly would keep me motivated. It's when I can't see/feel the results that I give up.

My main downfall is chocolate/biscuits. I know I need to cut them out, but I find it really difficult.
RagDoll
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:18 am

The diet is meant for people undergoing a heart operation. I think the diet will work so long as you don't do it every week. One man at work is doing the diet for a week, eating normal for a week, doing the diet - if he looses too much weight he'll stop doing it for two weeks.

My bf's weakness is also biscuits; he'll say I don't eat unhealthy yet a pizza and a WHOLE packet of biscuits isn't unhealthy - it's more the fact he shoves the biscuit in whole - one bite (it's disgusting); where if he ate it in a few bites I think he'd enjoy it more and need to eat less.

When you go shopping ragdoll don't buy chocolate or buscuits; if you buy dinner at work just take enough for dinner so you can't buy other things as well.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby RagDoll » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:20 am

Just googled that diet and read a few nasty things about it. Apparently it isn't recommended by medical professionals at all, despite the claimed link to people undergoing heart operations.

Haha I'm not THAT bad with biscuits, I don't ever eat the whole packet in one go or shove the whole thing in my mouth, haha (that's such a boy thing to do).

I bring lunch to work with me and I don't buy rubbish when we do our main food shop. The problem is we have 100s of take-aways and shops near us, so it's very tempting to nip out and get something rubbishy!

I just need to find some will-power from somewhere.

I thought Bel Bels suggestion in the physical forum of sticking photos of yourself when you think you look ok around the house would help. Might look a bit narcissistic when people visit though, haha.
RagDoll
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:32 am

Or do you have an outfit that doesn't fit anymore that you'd love to get back in to? you could always hang it somewhere you could see and it could be your aim.

RagDoll wrote:or shove the whole thing in my mouth, haha (that's such a boy thing to do).

My bf is disgusting with food, if he's not shovelling food into his mouth, then he's shovelling it onto the fork. I made him tea last week; I'd had mine as I'm a slow eater, it took him less than 5 minutes to finish and have a clean plate. It's so bad because I'm so slow and he's so fast so I generally give up half way through eating becasue he's been sat there so long.

If we go to a buffet, then I go first, then him and he's finished and waiting before i've finished. He doesn't like to keep rushing up for food; he's rather eat "slowly" like me although he still cleans his plate in 2 seconds. Seriously you'd think someone said you are going to be blown up if you don't have a clean plate in 2 minutes.

First time I went on holiday with his whole family my bf had finished 2 huge steaks of some meat and I'm still eating my first. Personally I think he'd just greedy and he "needs" to eat it all so quick otherwise someone else might swipe it. Although he will share any bit of food he has with me, although last week at the Christening he got a plate of food, and I took it off him and he honestly looked really angry. I was pointing out he should let the guests eat before the family get up and eat everything - but no, it's him and his belly first.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby RagDoll » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:50 am

Haha, your last paragraph reminded me of Joey from Friends.

My boyfriend can be a bit of a pig too. He doesn't eat a huge amount, but what he does eat isn't good for him. He loves anything chocolate related! He's quite fussy with his food and you can totally tell when he's eating something he's not enjoying as it will take him an AGE to eat it. Whereas if he's got chocolate cake or something in front of him, it will be gone in seconds! I tell him off for shoving too much in his mouth at once - he gets hamster cheeks from it, haha.

Yeh, I have a few pairs of jeans that I can't fit into anymore which I'd love to get back into. I've kept them in the vain hope they'll fit me again one day!
RagDoll
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:03 pm

RagDoll wrote:Haha, your last paragraph reminded me of Joey from Friends.

I've never seen friends :oops:

RagDoll wrote:Yeh, I have a few pairs of jeans that I can't fit into anymore which I'd love to get back into. I've kept them in the vain hope they'll fit me again one day!

Make those your aim, hang them so you can see them and it will motivate you.

serendipity wrote:If you feel the photos would be a bit wierd, how bout putting them on the INSIDE of the fridge cupboard doors ect. so that only you see them usually.

unless your friends go rooting through your fridge and cupboards?? lol

Thats why I suggested clothes :)
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby RagDoll » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:08 pm

My jeans were my aim when I shifted a bit of weight after xmas and before my trip to Budapest, but I had really been trying to lose weight and although I did lose some, my jeans felt as tight and horrible as ever, which was a big de-motivator!

Photos inside of the cupboards etc. might work, hehe. Although I might need them more 'in my face' so to speak in order to make me realise how much of a fatty I am right now and how much better I looked then! *sigh*
RagDoll
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:10 pm

RagDoll wrote:My jeans were my aim when I shifted a bit of weight after xmas and before my trip to Budapest, but I had really been trying to lose weight and although I did lose some, my jeans felt as tight and horrible as ever, which was a big de-motivator!

Can you not try for example a smaller step? Like buying a top or something which is just slightly too tight (even a nice one from Primark so you aren't wasting a load of money) and aiming for that, rather than the bigger step of fitting into your jeans?
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby rufio89 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:17 pm

dipsydoodlenoodle wrote:
RagDoll wrote:Haha, your last paragraph reminded me of Joey from Friends.

I've never seen friends :oops:

:o
rufio89
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby RagDoll » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:25 pm

Yeh, I guess I could do that. I think I'm just disappointed the weight didn't come off as quickly as last time and feel that a stone or so isn't a huge goal anyway.

Re: Ruth's response - I can't believe you've never seen Friends! It's on all the time!
RagDoll
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby RagDoll » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:27 pm

Haha to Serendipity about the birthday suit comment (sorry, can't do the quote thing today for some reason - there's an error on the page).

It's the thought of the possibility of going on holiday later in the year and being in a bikini that scares me!!
RagDoll
Taken Root
Taken Root

Next

Return to Cheer me up!