I hate sports!

Go here if you need cheering up, or if you feel the urge to cheer someone else up!
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

I hate sports!

Postby rufio89 » Tue May 25, 2010 2:44 pm

Argh! I hate sports so much!

I just need to let off a bit of steam, but I HATE, having a boyfriend who likes sports! I dont mind him going to watch the football at the weekend or watching the odd game in the week, it's the fact that he thinks about it ALL the time, he's constantly checking the sports scores on his phone when we're together, he stops listening to me when we walk past TVs with sports on.

I dont get it! And what makes it worse is that I know it's not going to get better! and I know I cant ask him to not like sports, but I dont know how to just 'put up with it'. I dont know what compromise we can come to, but it just winds me up so much, and we are SO so happy together, but I just cant imagine my future fitting around sports! when I see couples where the husband is a sports fan and the wife isnt, and I just feel so sorry for her that she's had to fit her life around that!

Can anyone suggest anything? A comprimise we can come up with? My idea was that when it's just the two of us, he doesnt check on the sports scores on his phone, he waits until we're not together, and that instead of going to the football every weekend when it's on, maybe every couple of weeks? I dont knoww

:(
rufio89
Taken Root
Taken Root

Re: I hate sports!

Postby RagDoll » Tue May 25, 2010 4:00 pm

I know it's annoying, but unfortunately I think this is just one of those things.

I think it's reasonable to ask him not to check the scores on his phone all the time when he's with you, perhaps he could compromise by only looking when he knows he'll be checking on the final score as opposed to the game's progress?

I don't think you can expect him to not go to the match on a weekend if that's what he's into. Sorry, but lots of people enjoy going to the match and I don't think that's particularly unreasonable of him.
We don’t see things the way they are; we see things the way we are
RagDoll
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Bel Bel » Tue May 25, 2010 4:14 pm

I agree wiht raqgdoll and would add find your own hobbies to enjoy. I love it when my hubby goes to the pub to watch footie, I can catch up on taped programmes such as desperate housewives etc :P
Football season is not all year, this year is not so good as it's the world cup but normally you get a few months break, plan things during off season that you can do together
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby lohang » Thu May 27, 2010 12:07 pm

Hi Rufio

One way to get over it and perhaps drop some kind hint that his obsessiveness with all things sport all of the time is to take a keen interest in what he's looking at for say a week and see if he picks up on it. So he logs on to his mobile just pinch it and look comment on what he's looking at.

He might not like you patronising in this way but once he says something to you at that point you could just say something like well if you cant beat em join em to him or something like I want to find out why your so obsessed with your phone during other games that have no relevance to your team/country (as in the case of the world cup).

It might start a bit of a disagreement but this way he might actually make him think of not been rude and sticking the wap on when your talking to him or doing something together.

Personally when I'm speaking to someone and they needlessly get the blacberry out to check e-mail or browse the web it really annoys me especially when they disconnect and then look up and say "what did you say?" that really infuriates me but unfortunately we are the mobile generation where most people are obsessed with their gadgets.

Why not come back to us next week and tell us how you went on, there's tennis, golf and some other sports on this week.

Good luck hope it works
lohang
Just Landed
Just Landed

Postby captainf » Mon May 31, 2010 12:01 am

As others have suggested, maybe try finding your own hobbies and enjoy them when hes watching sports.
Also, its not unreasonable to ask him not to check the score while hes out with you. However, to even things up abit maybe take abit of an interest. That way he wont feel like you're pushing him away and dictating that he cant do something thats obviously a big part of him.
Remember how the runway lights looked one night long ago when you were lost and found your way, and how-you still dont know?
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Return to Cheer me up!