Just when you thought life was getting better.

Go here if you need cheering up, or if you feel the urge to cheer someone else up!
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Just when you thought life was getting better.

Postby kitten » Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:55 am

I've had my Mum on the phone in tears this morning as my Sister who is in her final year of nursing (in fact a few lectures and one placement away from qualifying) has failed a written assignment for the third time, despite being told each time by her mentor that what she had written was fine.

So now its quite possible she won't be able to finish.

Also had her on the phone in tears, as she feels her life is over, she won't be able to do her career etc.

I have tried consoling her she must have options and she needs to speak to the uni. Which is easier said than done as they keep saying oh speak to so and so and she can't get hold of anyone.

But I don't really know what to say to make her feel better, because it is possible the uni won't let her continue.

She has been top of her class in everthing else and passed all practicals with 100% so she is incredibly frustrated.
kitten
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby Liquidius » Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:58 am

The uni should recognise the fact that she's passed so highly on other things and not kick her out at all. She needs to go and demand from them who she needs to talk to - she's paid for the course and is entitled to all the help she can get. There isn't much you can do from the other end of the phone except tell her to get annoyed about the whole thing and go and demand help right now.

Maybe she can get hold of the specifications from the examining board so she can see what she has to do to pass.
Liquidius
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby umistgirl » Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:43 am

Hi Kitten

Try to calm down, uni's very rarely kick people out (even when they've been skiving!, which your sis hasn't). Unis dont lke kicking people out because a) they provide fees, b) it ruins their stats and makes them look bad- esp if they kick the clever ones out- the ones that were going to BOOST their stats!

Has your sister got a personal tutor/ mentor that she could speak to? I know that getting through to people is a nightmare sometimes but you have to keep persisting. KEEP pestering people until the situation gets sorted. Perhaps she could find out who marked it, and get some feedback as to where she's going wrong- and how she can improve it. If they've let her have a go at it 3 times now they must be pretty keen on her doing well, they seem pretty flexible so they may be willing to give her another go.

Also, please try to stay calm about it. As much as it seems like it at the time, it is not the end of the world, think postive- she WONT fail- it WILL get sorted. She will be at a heightened state of stress with her almost being at the end of her studies, so anything going wrong will seem like a bigger issue than it is. The best approach is to try and stay calm and get things sorted. Nothing will be solved by panicing- and you (and your Mum) need to stay strong for her and not instill more worry into her by panicing yourself.

Hope everything gets sorted soon.
Always and never are two words you should always remember never to use.
umistgirl
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby vixen1985 » Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:59 am

as a student nurse myself, its not the uni who wish to kick student nurses off the course, its the NMC-nursing and midwifery council. a few of my fellow students have recently been told to leave the course because of failing assignments. but there is options, your sister is entitled to appeal, this way she may have 2 re do her last couple of months of her final year, but surely this would be better than being chucked off altogether.
vixen1985
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Postby kitten » Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:12 pm

She's appealed once before as there are a lot of personal circumstances effecting her too.

Her mentor has been pretty much useless. I have told her I am sure there is some way around it. I am just frustrated for her too.

People on her course have skived and cheated and are still doing it and she is putting in her best. She's not very acamedic and struggles with spelling and grammar and putting paragraphs together.

I am also concerned as my cousin went through a similar experience with the Marines he had a promising future but due to hip problems he couldn't complete the training, they said he could do the highest position in the army but he wanted to be a marine.

He went of the rails and was since caugth speeing over the drink/drive limit and in possession of a class A drug. He was banned from driving and is still not working.
kitten
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby umistgirl » Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:12 pm

:o :o :o Blimey
Always and never are two words you should always remember never to use.
umistgirl
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby vixen1985 » Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:58 pm

if her mentor has said the work is to the correct standard, she still has grounds to appeal. special circumstances are taken into account too. she has to fight, otherwise you won't get anywhere, tell her to go straight to the programme leader or personal tutor.
vixen1985
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Postby Liquidius » Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:03 pm

vixen1985 is right - she needs to fight for her place. She has good grounds for an appeal.
Liquidius
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby kitten » Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:06 pm

I have got very supportive parents, and they are hoping to take her up to the university and discuss things, I couldn't bear her to fall apart like my cousin. We are really close and very similar people really but she has also been stronger than me.

She is at home at the moment with her boyfriend and I am hoping he is telling her the positives.

I am going to phone home tonight see how things are going and I will probably try and get to see her over the weekend.
kitten
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby vixen1985 » Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:16 pm

my sister who is now a nurse, had the exact same problem, she failed her very last assignment, n her tutor said her final essay would pass, and then she failed it. she won the appeal and had to do 4 months of her training again-but it wasn't the end of the world.
vixen1985
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Postby kitten » Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:29 pm

I am hoping this will be the case for her. I think she is just so frustrated at the moment, feels she has been given no help etc.
kitten
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby kitten » Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:31 pm

Blimey

I know! I think he's getting himself sorted now, just felt so lost.

Being a marine was all he ever wanted, and its hard when someone takes your dreams away.
kitten
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby vixen1985 » Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:46 pm

its scary to know you can work so hard towards your dream, and it takes a split second for someone to take it away from you.
vixen1985
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Postby dark_talon » Fri Feb 24, 2006 3:02 pm

Just shows how rubbish the education system is really, doesn't it?

I hope your sister manages to sort things out. I am sure once she has a chat to the Uni with your parents things will become clearer.
Image Image
dark_talon
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby loopylou » Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:24 pm

Its such a crappy world where you can be kicked off a course for failing an essay a few times yet she could have the best nursing skills.

If shes got special circumstances they have to be taken into consideration and she will have grounds for appeal.
With you and her boyfriends and your parents support behind her im sure she'll get through it.

Has she got anyone else other lecturers or tutors (not necessarily her own) that she could talk to.

My tutor was great when i was at uni and i could talk to her about anything and have her support but my friend had a rubbish one and she never talked to her she always talked to my tutor instead whenever she had a problem. and it would be great if your sister could find a lecturer or someone like that that she could talk to about things..

I used to be a student nurse and i did 3 years, but left 7 months before the end its not the best thing in the world but its definatly not the end of the world.

I remember when i was at uni and there was a girl who lived opposite me and she got thrown off the course for failing some stuff a few times, she appealed but lost but she was then taken onto a nursing diploma course in same city.

So maybe if your sister does unfortunatly get thrown off the course maybe she could look into other universitys and other nursing courses that would let her start further into the course rather than the beginning they'd prob make her sit her last year again but its worth looking into if things get that far.
Dont forget to keep smiling :)
loopylou
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Next

Return to Cheer me up!