money... lack of!!!

Go here if you need cheering up, or if you feel the urge to cheer someone else up!
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Postby kitkat » Fri Mar 10, 2006 2:51 pm

Yeah I know what you mean, I'm in the minus already

Edited by lilmissespana
Please do not use text talk
kitkat
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Postby amanda11 » Sat Mar 11, 2006 2:32 pm

wordsofwisdom wrote:how about when your bank account gets to zero you stop spending???, rather than spending the banks own money and then whinging at them when they charge you interest!

1.because i have to eat
2.because i have to pay rent
3.because i can't ask my parents for money because they have next to nothing theirselves

i'm at university and actually trying to make something of my self, i'm not silly with money, i go out maybe once every two weeks. i spend every spare minute i have in the library, because my course is really hard. i'm working class and my parents have other people to support and hardly any money for them selves. i have no spare time to work any more hours. my loan barely covers my rent.

suggest you change your name "words of wisdom" as you clearly don't have any.
there is a light that never goes out
amanda11
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby Liquidius » Sat Mar 11, 2006 2:51 pm

Words of Wisdom may have come across a little harshly, but I'm sure it wasn't meant like that - and this is hardly the place to have an argument about it.

Just be careful what you spend it on. If you prioritise those three things, and then give yourself a weekly limit after that.

Some people work better in weeks! :) As mentioned before, there's not much you can do, maybe you can talk to your university about borrowing some extra money (my uni do that for students that are struggling), but you do have to pay it back...

Apart from that, a part time job is a good idea. You might have to sacrifice some of those hours in the library, even if your course is hard. Try and work out a weekly allowance when your next loan comes through - mine comes through on the 28th april, so I'm pretty sure yours will be around the same time.
Liquidius
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby LME79 » Sat Mar 11, 2006 2:59 pm

lilmissespana wrote:I have to agree with wordsofwisdom. I have been very tempted to ignore my bank balance before, but it is vital that you do check it regularly just so you know how much you do have to spend. A lot of my friends have the attitude of "as long as it's giving me money then it's ok", but it's not.
The banks have to charge you for going over the overdraft for administration charges (someone please correct me if I'm wrong). Please don't take the above the wrong way, it's just the way it is...we really can't afford to muck banks around.

Have you worked out a budget? A part time job (if you haven't already got one) would obviously prove extremely helpful, especially as your loan doesn't come for another 8 weeks. When I was at university I worked in a bookmakers three times a week. The job itself wasn't bad and the pay wasn't bad either...way more than bar work or basic waitress wages. Plus I got double money on a Sunday or at night.

Please work out a budget! I know it sounds very boring and non-studenty but it is so so so important! Work out how your outgoings to the maximum (food, rent, phone bills, utilities, fees etc) and then subtract it from your incoming; the amount left will be your disposable income- do not spend over this as that's when the trouble will start! If you need any help with that, please feel free to PM me.

Hope the above helped.

amanda11, please let me know if the above helped you. A budget is really important at uni!

xx
I want to be..a tree..
LME79

Postby amanda11 » Sat Mar 11, 2006 3:11 pm

i appreciate your advice and i know i'm coming accross a little agressive. The thing is though bills and food and rent really are the only things i do spend money on lately. i do have a weekly budget but its ridiculous (its really not enough to cover even food)! i live in the most dodgy area and have to walk 40 min (there and back) every day because i can't afford to get the bus. i work through the holidays to pay off my overdraft, but my course is very competitive and i don't want to be at a disadvantage by having to work.... just because i don't have rich parents.

its just annoyed me that words of wisdom had assumed that i'm in this situation because i'm irresponsible and frivilous with money. i have friends who spend hundreds of pounds each semester on alcohol and make-up. i do go out occasionnaly, but i have to let off some steam don't i?

i'm going to the welfare office on monday to see about some kind of grant.
amanda11
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby kitten » Sat Mar 11, 2006 4:04 pm

People have different attitudes to money.

It is a shame your course is so competitive what are you doing?

My family are also working class and my sister is struggling to manage on her bursary. I didn't go to uni myself as I didn't need to for what I wanted to do and I knew there was no way my parents could afford to put both of us through it.

When they had to fill in the financial forms their combined salaries where below the lowest box!

Its good that you are going to the welfare office, perhaps before you go list what you have and want you need to spend so they get a clear picture.
kitten
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby amanda11 » Sat Mar 11, 2006 4:11 pm

well basically if i don't get a first i have no chance of being able to study medicine or dentistry in the future.
amanda11
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby LME79 » Sat Mar 11, 2006 6:32 pm

I don't think wordsofwisdom assumed anything, he was just giving his take on it. However, that is irrelevant to the situation.

It's good that you are going to the welfare office, but are you sure you have no time at all to work a part time job...not even once a week? I was fortunate enough to be able to get through university with my parents' support, but I had plenty of friends in similar situations.

If not, then how about this:
You said you are studying medicine/dentistry; is there any way you would be able to tutor a couple of high school pupils one evening a week with, say, science based A-levels? A lot of my friends (myself included) used to tutor music; teaching instruments and offering extra help to GCSE and A-level pupils in the local area. That way it was flexible- we could arrange times around our own schedule and if we needed to cancel then we could. A lot less committment than a 'proper' part time job and we could charge up to £20 per hour (we 'shopped around' with local tutors to see how much they charged and we charged a little less as we hadn't yet graduated).
5 pupils a week, 5 hours a week...£100, £400 for 20 hours- not bad. I only used to have one pupil as I had a part time job too, but others used to have up to 5 a week and they used that money for rent or their 'going out' cash. Just a suggestion, five hours in seven days isn't that much when you think about it!

Another thing...please don't overwork yourself, you don't want to burn out! It very nearly happened to a good friend of mine in our second year...I'm not saying you are, it's just I got the impression when you said you spend every spare moment you have working. It's important to have other things to keep you occupied too.

In the meantime, the very best of luck with the course and, in particular, your situation. Please PM if you need help with anything I've just said.

LME xxx
I want to be..a tree..
LME79

Postby umistgirl » Sat Mar 11, 2006 10:20 pm

Hi there

I gues your on a bio science degree with a view to doing med/dentistry as a post grad? Im at uni too (in final year of science degree too- also competitive, being only 10 places on it) so I know the pressure you feel to study all the time but you should really think about getting a part time job- not just for financial reasons but you appear to be spending all your time in the library- and thats not good. For one, it doesnt make you very employable or socialable! If you feel that you haven't got literally 10 hours a week spare to yourself you need to see your course leaders and explain to them how much work you are doing. Perhaps you are doing too much work?

Uni is not just about getting the degree but demonstrating to future employers that you can multitask and hold down multiple responsibities. Employers really value part time jobs- no matter where it is.

There's a good site called www.moneysavingexpert.com (in the forum for Debt-free wannabes), they have a strategy for people in debt or havin money troubles where you write down a 'statement of affairs'. Basically you type out your income and your outgoings and people try to work out a budget for you- and point out regions where you can save money (not just the obvious 'dont go out'- some of them have money saving tips that are really quite savvy).

Perhaps you can look at getting a part time job AT your uni- they are definitately more sympathetic employers!! Sadly, student loans aren't often enough to cover student living cost so they are either forced to work part time or get help from parents. Also, if you want to go on to do ANOTHER degree you are going to have to find a way to fund yourself- that's the bottom line.

Sounds to me like you are studying too hard.
Always and never are two words you should always remember never to use.
umistgirl
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

kitty broke

Postby kitkat » Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:34 am

well i kno da feelin amanda it is awful feelin knowin ur well into ya overdraft i hav don da same myself. i cant even afford my daily dose of kit kats :cry:
kitkat
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Postby LME79 » Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:28 pm

Please note this topic was started way back in March this year and is more than likely resolved.
I want to be..a tree..
LME79

Re: money... lack of!!!

Postby retrochav » Sat Oct 07, 2006 8:32 am

okay, here is some tips from someone whose favourite colour according to the bank is red!:

* draw up a budget as said before.

* ask the bank to freeze any bank charges and cancel existing ones until circumstances improve.

* If they wont then contact Debtline (number on there website) who can give you a reference number so they are obliged to!

* consider selling items of clothing, old books and other items. Ebay, Amazon or traditional car boot sales are a way of raising cash.

* Approach uni for a hardship grant - these do exist from a hardship fund they have.

* Look for paid surveys on the internet, they dont bring in oodles of cash but every little helps.

* Look out for pyschology research - this involves answering questions or playing with blocks etc. (Avoid medical research like the plague). Nets you £10 - £20 for half hours questionaires.

* Attend council meetings etc in the evening - often have free buffets!

* consider market research jobs, waiting tables etc. Flexible hours even though the money isnt great.

Dont panic! We have all been there!
whatever your problem someone else has been there and bears the scars.
retrochav
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby brfc » Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:34 pm

tell you what? best place too go for say cheap cakes bread etc is supermarkets round about 8pm. they sell off the days cakes and bread for about 10-20p. get some great nibbles in there. :D
brfc
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby LME79 » Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:12 pm

lilmissespana wrote:Please note this topic was started way back in March this year and is more than likely resolved.
I want to be..a tree..
LME79

Postby brfc » Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:09 pm

still a good tip though lilmissespannia :D bet there,ll be a few pp,ers diving into the supermarket after 8 lol. i bag the cream cakes :D
brfc
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

PreviousNext

Return to Cheer me up!