why are so many of us feeling so down?

Go here if you need cheering up, or if you feel the urge to cheer someone else up!
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

why are so many of us feeling so down?

Postby kelgirl » Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:58 pm

I think the title says my main point: why are we feeling down? I've been reading a lot of these messages and most people are exactly the same as me: feeling ugly, unloved, fat and like we're going to be lonely for the rest of our lives or as if nobody understands us? What is it that makes us feel like this?

I feel so down at the moment and i really don't know why. I guess it could be a number of things like new medication affecting my mood, exam stress, stress of preparing for uni, have just left school, am single and always have been, every guy i end up liking always likes someone else instead of me and my mum just invaded my privacy by going through my things a couple of hours ago so that just topped it off.

I hate feeling like this I just want to burst into tears. I don't want to be lonely anymore

xXKelgirlXx
kelgirl
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Postby gatekeeper » Thu Jun 15, 2006 5:33 pm

Maybe it's the season for feeling down lol. I just posted a very very long rant...On the way to winning the longest post award...
gatekeeper
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby PurePurple » Thu Jun 15, 2006 6:29 pm

Don't quite think so gatekeeper.. I've seen longer :P
PurePurple
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby all_apologies » Thu Jun 15, 2006 6:51 pm

Bear in mind that this is a problem page website. People come here with their worries, so there is likely to be a high proportion of people feeling down.

However, we've seen lots of members gradually work their way out of depression (e.g. Kitten, who is making steady progress) with help from supportive friends, family, counsellors, and of course, Problem Pagers. All hope is not lost!
all_apologies
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Liquidius » Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:20 pm

I agree with all_apologies. This site is designed to talk about problems - so it'll probably seem that a lot of people are feeling down.

But I think you mentioned some of the main factors in your post...

I guess it could be a number of things like new medication affecting my mood, exam stress, stress of preparing for uni, have just left school, am single and always have been, every guy i end up liking always likes someone else instead of me and my mum just invaded my privacy by going through my things a couple of hours ago so that just topped it off.
Liquidius
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby gatekeeper » Fri Jun 16, 2006 3:38 am

Oh yea purple? Well, they have to give me some award, maybe most expressive or whatever because I'm crazy and have a gun! :P

I think it's not just here. Just look around you and you'd probably feel someone who's down or depressed. It's just that in real life, no one would tell you about their problems or no one would tell you they're depressed and need help maybe fearing that they'd be judged?
gatekeeper
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby kelgirl » Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:39 pm

I guess you're all right about the fact that this is actually a problem page so of course people are feeling down hehe now I feel slightly dumb for saying that! :roll:

I still think its quite sad really that so many people do actually feel down because when you think about it there are so many more down people out there that don't actually use this website.

Basically I know there's nothing anyone can do about it but it kind of makes me a bit more down thinking about the fact that there are so many people out there who aren't happy including myself. Why can't life just be great for everyone!!?

xXkelgirlXx
kelgirl
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Postby fairy of darkness » Fri Jun 16, 2006 3:36 pm

My teacher said something to me, which really made me think. He went to visit some families in africa, who had virtually no money, and lived on one small meal a day.
He said " When i met those children, they had the biggest smiles i had ever seen, they are the happiest people i've ever met, i think theymust be the happiest people in the world" when he said that, i felt like crying, because we are all so obsessed by material posessions, and get upset if we don't have the latest in technology. And so many of us are unhappy, but people living in such a simple world, where they don't have computers, phones or ipods, seem to be so easily pleased. so just remember to think of those people when your feeling down, because even though they have virtually nothing, they are most probably the happiest people alive....

Yours thoughtfully

F.O.D
XXXX
Constantly moving
fairy of darkness
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby gatekeeper » Sat Jun 17, 2006 8:44 am

fairy of darkness, I agree with you. You're not rich because you have everything but because you don't need anything. So I guess we can be happy if we want to, after all we have everything we need to survive. Sometimes, we complicate things by wanting the newest phones, ipods and so on...
gatekeeper
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby kelgirl » Sat Jun 17, 2006 6:54 pm

yea you two are both so right! We should really appreciate what we have rather than thinking about what we don't have because what we don't have is nothing compared to those poor people. Thanks guys I'll remember that everytime I'm feeling down-might make me feel better if I give money to charity or something when I'm feeling down too so I know I'm making a difference somewhere :D

xXKelgirlXx
kelgirl
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Postby fairy of darkness » Sat Jun 17, 2006 6:55 pm

glad to know we helped :) F.O.D XXXX
Constantly moving
fairy of darkness
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby Toni_no12002 » Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:40 pm

its fair enough people are saying that those people have nothing ,but we are who we are our problems are our own.To us our own problems could hurt just as much as someone elses even though theres may be worse.

i have problems at the minute it might not seem bad to some other people but to me its hurts alot.

We live in a world where everything is focused on looks,going to work,and things so im not suprised people are feeling depressed.In those countries they dont have magazines where it tells you how to look and such like.
I think one of the worst problems someone can have is where they hate themselves that much.Because of that they never will be happy.
A person in a poor country could love who they are and not have much of anything but still be happy.If you dont like yourself whatever you achieve or get you will never be happy because you dont like yourself.

Confident happy people seem to always get everything because if they fail they think fair enough ill try it a different way so not to make the same mistake again.People who are down ,when they fail they think there failures so they dont get anywhere and also feel worse about themselves.
Toni
Toni_no12002
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby loulou99 » Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:06 pm

i see what your saying, it is sad that so many of us are feeling like this me included!!) but ont he other hand its kind of comforting to know that were not alone in how we feel and that other people are gping through the same thing if you know what i mean!?
loulou99
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby worriedangel » Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:08 pm

I often too feel down. But I always get through it and I know I always will.

What is important to remember is it's within you. It's within you to heal, to feel better, and to come out of any situation you're in a stronger and better person. It's in every single one of us. We don't realise how powerful we are in mind. When I feel down, I find it helpful to take a brether, sit back, and look at the sitation from various angles and alternative viewpoints. By taking one step at a time, dealing with one problem at a time, making one small change at a time, we can make our lives and our self awareness and worth much better. Everyone can do it, it's just finding the way.

Remember, this is your life now, you have control, no matter what life throws at you, remember how valuble you are, and remember you have the rest of your life ahead of you. Make the most of the moment, and of life. When you feel down, focus on the positive, and find a way through, because theres so much happiness out there to be had if only you could work your way towards it. And I believe we all can.
'We Who Are Truly Brave Will Never Live In Fear' - The Rock
worriedangel
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby Maryflan » Tue Sep 19, 2006 12:00 pm

worriedangel is right and i think that post is great.

Iv been so down before iv felt worthless and i havnt wanted to live and i know for a fact that you dont think it will ever change or things can ever get better.

But they do and they can. Everyone does feel like this sometimes but its just human nature, we cant be happy all the time.

I suggest you focus on yourself for a while and spend time with people who you can talk to and who care.
:p
Maryflan
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Next

Return to Cheer me up!