Nothingness *Bit long*

For any problem to do with being 16 or under.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Nothingness *Bit long*

Postby Pipni » Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:13 pm

Firstly I just like to 'hi', I've visited this site before and I think the comunity's great!

Secondly, I know this isn't a serious problem, but its one that keeps nagging at me, right at the back of my head, and keeps growing. I do nothing in my life.

No clubs or groups, no special skills or abilities, I'm pretty much average intelligence and I've joined no teams, as I have practically zero sporting abilities, and I've never been interested in musical instruments, mainly because I can't find any one who does lessons. So I spend half my life on the computer, wasting away on games, the only sport I like being Pool/Snooker, but there are only 18+ bars with pool clubs.

It never used to bother me, but now it is. One of my best friends plays guitar (AMAZINGLY) and he goes to gigs, groups and talent shows. I never go because I'm not musical. Other friends go gymnastics or Badminton, but they'll never invite me, and I'll probably never go, because I'm rubbish. I even failed my 25 metre swimming certificate! So at 14 I feel like I've acomplished nothing., and its affecting my already small social life. Is there anything I can do to make me feel like I've done something...not 'spectacular' but something I can look back on with pride? Is 14 too late to start a long term hobbie?

Finally I have my GCSE options, and I feel pretty much aimless in choosing, because I have so little interests!
Pipni
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby captainf » Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:05 pm

Hey

I was in a similar position to you when I was 14 but with a little difference - my interest was aeroplanes (now im training to be a pilot) and so I spent all my time at heathrow. Lucky for me, my friends adapted and occasionally came with me. Do you have any interest like that? A strong passion!

However, just like you, I loved playing pool/snooker. A friend of mine did aswell and he use to go to a pub with his grandad where he actually won a few competitions in pool. Do any of your relatives go to the pub? Maybe you could go with them and play.

Also, don't be afraid to experiment with sports! Maybe you should try going to badminton with your friends? Again, back in my school days I was absolutely terrible at badminton and no-one wanted to pair up with me in P.E because I couldn't hit the shuttle.. so as time went by I practiced with one of my teachers during lunch time and badminton became my best sport, along with pool/snooker. Now I pay badminton nearly every weekend with a friend of mine. So its all about developing a skill. Skills dont develop over night, but the more effort you put in, the better that you become.

If you're serious about musical instruments, have you tried looking in the yellow pages, or Thompsons local for music teachers? If you manage to learn one, I envy you as its something I couldn't do myself.

It will all turn good in the end. Just try to open up your mind to a few more activities.
Remember how the runway lights looked one night long ago when you were lost and found your way, and how-you still dont know?
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby netballluva » Sun Jan 21, 2007 6:21 pm

I agree with captin_flynn, experiment with sports. I did and now im completely in love with netball (my name gives it away!) You said your sicail life is small, going to a club can definately change that. Thats is EXACTLY how i felt! When i joined my netball club i made friends for life.

I didn't know the game very well so i asked a few of the netballers there to help me and explain it to me. Because its something they love doing they were happy to explain it to me.

So just pick something randomly and go for it!

Good luck :D xx
netballluva
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby Pipni » Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:34 pm

Wow, thanks alot!

A friend of mine did aswell and he use to go to a pub with his grandad where he actually won a few competitions in pool. Do any of your relatives go to the pub? Maybe you could go with them and play.

Its a good idea (thanks captain_flynn) unfortuately, none of my relatives go to the pub, being either tee-total or just don't go to pubs or bars.

I've tried Yellow Pages etc. but nothing near me :(

Thanks again, but I'll just have to keep my mind open, but I feel alot better knowing that I'm not the only 'aimless' person around. :)
Pipni
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby Moose » Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:53 pm

Hiya
Have you considered starting the Duke of Edinburgh Award? A few of us here on this site have done it, and someone else was talking about it in a thread here. It's certainly a good achievement, and it will give you the opportunity to meet some new people and try some new things and see if you like them.

As for music - have you looked in your local paper in the classified ads? That's where most of the private tutors advertise round here - there are usually loads. Or maybe your music teacher at school could point you in the right direction?

Finally, don't worry about feeling like you've not achieved anything yet. Please don't tell me that your life was over when you hit 13 - I'm 24 in a few days, and I feel like my life is just beginning rather than just ending! Don't put so much pressure on yourself.
Moose
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby netballluva » Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:32 pm

hehe that was me who mentioned it! Sounds like really good idea! I want to do it! :D xx
netballluva
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby Pipni » Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:09 pm

Wow, thanks again netballluva, and you too Moose!
I've heard of it, but the only people @ school who did it were Sixth Formers, so I assumed it was like a 16 or 18+ thing.

I've already e-mailed the award people for my area and asked around at school, and I've now asked on the other thread.

Thanks again! :D I don't feel so aimless, empty and bored now :P
Pipni
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Return to Under 16s