I can't sleep!!

For any problem to do with being 16 or under.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

I can't sleep!!

Postby Wizzerdora » Tue Oct 28, 2003 9:24 pm

For the past 3 1/2 years now i have been unable to sleep. well its not exactly unable to sleep its just when i do i wake up screaming because of a recuring nightmare that i have. I'm now just affraid to sleep. My parents dont really care about it all. Ive tried everything to try and make me sleep, pills, warm milk and honey, counting sheep, but i'm actually scared to go to sleep now. I know exactly what is going to happen in my dream and i can recall it perfectally, i'm just scared cause at the end i die, i'm pushed into a swimming pool full of blood by two teachers of mine and i cant swim upwards i just sink, whilst they stand over me and laugh, and when i hit the bottom everything goes black, and i wake up screaming. Plaese help me!! Thank you. Wizzerdora :o[/quote]
Wizzerdora
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby becky_boop » Tue Oct 28, 2003 9:33 pm

Hi, I know this sounds weird but have you ever tried to find out what your dreams mean? I dont know if you heard about it but there are people who can sort of work out what dreams symbolise. If you understand your dream it might help you better to cope with it.

:-? Hope Ive helped lotsa luv becs xxxxxxxxx
Cant let go...
becky_boop
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby Wizzerdora » Tue Oct 28, 2003 9:36 pm

Yeah ive tried that but still no glory! Belive you me if theres a possible solution ive tried it!!
Wizzerdora
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby becky_boop » Tue Oct 28, 2003 9:38 pm

:-? This is a hard one!!! Do you get these dreams no matter where you sleep?
Cant let go...
becky_boop
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby Wizzerdora » Tue Oct 28, 2003 9:41 pm

Yes. I was in Germany a couple of days ago, on a skool trip, and as i was the only girl I had to share a room with the teachers one night. Stupidly i fell asleep, and i woke up screaming, and then ened up waking them up!! I felt such an idiot!!
Wizzerdora
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby worriedteen1 » Tue Oct 28, 2003 9:59 pm

Ok firstly, dont feel an idiot as its not your fault. Im sure you already know what dreams are and why they occur but I have found a website you may like to take a look at:

http://www.inq7.net/lif/2003/aug/19/lif_22-1.htm

Ok, anyhow. I have problems in my sleep and i can wake up 4/5 times a night. Also when i was younger I couldn't sleep at all, but know i undertsnad why. I realised I was actually afriad of people getting into my house because I had been broken into 3 or 4 times and also had been bullied surverly several times. Perhaps your dream as a speicif meaning I think becky_boop's advice may come in handy. I know there are several sites you can find out what your dreams mean and several people you can ask but Im not sure of prices and if you're under 16 you will most likely need a parent with you or something im not too sure.

I hope this as helped you. Keep us posted.
worriedteen1
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby elgaz » Tue Oct 28, 2003 10:16 pm

There is a thing called lucid dreaming which may help you. People who can master lucid dreaming are aware they are in a dream, thus they know they have nothing to fear as it is not real.

I'm not totally clear on the ins and outs of it (you may want to look it up on the internet) but I think the main point is that before you go to sleep, you think of something in your dream which will be a symbol to you that you are dreaming. As you have a recurring dream, this should be easier for you - for example, use the swimming pool as the symbol. Before you sleep, say to yourself over and over in your head that when you see the swimming pool, you will know you are dreaming, you will know that none of it is real, and you will know that you have nothing to fear. The swimming pool will act as a 'trigger' for your brain.

Its not easy and make take a few nights but if you have tried everything else, you have nothing to lose.

Gaz
elgaz
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby elgaz » Tue Oct 28, 2003 10:18 pm

elgaz
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby saz » Wed Oct 29, 2003 9:12 am

Hiya! When i was a teenager i couldn't sleep either and had nightmares. I think that when you are at school it is so stressful, even if you aren't aware of feeling stressed, when you go to sleep this is when your brain seems to react.

I used to worry about burglars, fires, muggers, car accidents, exams, homework, rows with friends and more. It is horrible to feel this way. You might find that after your exams things get better but if it is bothering you a lot you are right to get some advice.

I have heard that one way to help this sort of thing is change what you do before bedtime. If you watch or read a lot you might be a very imaginative person anyway, so perhaps completely relaxing your body and mind before sleep would help. Try having warm bath with relaxing oils, no TV and early bed. Apparently going to bed late and watching TV before sleep can influence your sleep patterns (i have heard this but it might not be true!!).

I think that there is some sort of therapy for bad dreams especially if they are frightening so it is worth finding out about it. I just stopped having mine and now hardly wake up during the night but for a long time i had obsessive compulsive disorder which made things worse cos i worried so much. I used to have to lay in bed and touch the wooden headboard a number of times before i slept and if i didn't do it i was convinced something bad would happen and this used to affect my sleep big time.

Try not to think about it too much and good luck.
Doesn't really matter what the eye is seeing
cos i'm in love with the inner being
saz
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Wizzerdora » Wed Oct 29, 2003 2:07 pm

Thanx guys i'll try all your sites and keep you updated on the situation. Thanx again Wizzerdora :)
Wizzerdora
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby Wizzerdora » Wed Oct 29, 2003 2:12 pm

Sorry no glory!! I dont lucid dream, because although i'm aware, i cant control anything. I still feel scared although i know whats going to happen!! My friend told me to try and imagine that you have a gun in your hand,and shoot the people or run before i get pushed it!! It doenst help!! Sorry guys! And every website that analyses dreams costs money!!
Wizzerdora
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby Enigma » Wed Oct 29, 2003 2:51 pm

From previous discussions here about dreams, here are some sites where you can look into what dreams may mean:

www.dreammoods.com/cgibin/cutecast/cutecast.pl
www.sleeps.com/dictionary/dictionary.html
www.freakydreams.com

When you fall asleep you go through what is called the Hypnogogic state. Lucid dreaming is when you keep yourself in that state, somewhere between reality and dream. A technique to do this is raising your arm, and when you are going to disconnect from reality your arm will fall. Once woken you will raise your arm again, and keep repeating this process. It requires practise.
Enigma
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Fidel » Wed Oct 29, 2003 5:10 pm

Hey
try http://www.freakydreams.com
I used to always dream that my house was on fire and always woke up and in the end had to get a perscription drug form my GP
I don't know why - I am a laid back person but I got nervousd when I went to bed. I think sometimes these things happen

Get urself into the GP though

Vlad
Last night I dreamt that somebody loved me.
Fidel
Taken Root
Taken Root

sorry

Postby kinky_kylie_aka_babes » Wed Oct 29, 2003 9:30 pm

i disagree it sound so terriable i am so sorry to hear this BUT i think u need to chill out and have some fun in your life it hink your parents dont care because its not that big of a deal. SORRY but its not, its not as if freddy cruger is there in your dreams im sure your dreams wont come true ithink u should try talkin to the teacher your dreamin about cause if they say its silly and that they would never do that well then u will have no worry and u can sleep. If u cant sleep i thinku should seek medical help because then u would be known to have a serious problem. good luck xxxxxxxxxxxkinky kyliexxxxxxxxxxxxx
''LIVE LIFE TO THE FULL AND sausage HAVE FUN''
kinky_kylie_aka_babes
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Problem

Postby Wizzerdora » Thu Oct 30, 2003 1:21 pm

Thats it thats the problem, awake i have to be the most relax person around. I love my life (ish!) and everything is going well for me, i have a wicked best buddy, and kool frineds i do ok at skool and on the sports pitch i'm damn well unbeatable!! Its just when i go to sleep that i get scared!! And by the way i'll try that arm thing, sounds quite good!!
Wizzerdora
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Next

Return to Under 16s