I hear a voice in my head that tells me I'm worthless

For any problem to do with being 16 or under.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

I hear a voice in my head that tells me I'm worthless

Postby BlackPeegley » Thu Feb 19, 2004 9:14 pm

Again, as with all of my "problems" this sounds really ridiculous and pathetic. But I have a person inside me. I think its my inner child or something, but it freaks me out. It actually talks to me, its a voice in my head. It would be ok, but it keeps telling me that I'm worthless, inadequate and not worth the earth space. Sometimes it actually takes control of me physically and makes me try to kill myself. This has happened about 3 or 4 times. I'm really scared. I'm getting counselling because I was diagnosed with having "severe depression". But my counsellor is a trainee, so its gonna be a long time before anything will be done. I don't know what to do. I feel like I'm a freak. I mean... "hearing voices" is not a good sign.
BlackPeegley
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby Enigma » Thu Feb 19, 2004 9:35 pm

Hearing voices is an identified symptom of extreme depression, and in that regard you are experiencing a 'normal' thing. With it also being symptomatic of Schizophrenia it's understandable why it would be particularly concerning. Let me assure you that although your counsellor is in training they will still be providing a high level of service, since counsellors and psychotherapists have to go through several years of practice before being 'qualified'.
Enigma
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Llisa » Fri Feb 20, 2004 3:44 am

This is not a 'ridiculous' and 'pathetic' problem. This is serious. You are very wise for attending counselling. From what you are descirbing, it sounds like exactly what my cousin is going through. He has voices that he hears that tell him he's an idiot, that everyone is out to get him, and that he should kill others, and himself. I can't even begin to imagine what its like, but you're definitly doing the right thing here. The counsellors will know better than anyone on here the right course of action to take.
Definitly praying for you love...
HE has all the answers

The wait for that perfect someone may be long and painful, but the payoff lasts even longer, and is the most painless thing in the world.
Llisa
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby worstfriend » Fri Feb 20, 2004 10:22 am

Tell your counsellor about this voice straight away. I know it's scary when it happens but try to remember that these things are cuased by a chemical imballance in the brain. It's not real, even though it sounds (and feels) it.

Talk to someone about this, someone you can rely on, and who you can talk to while it's happening. Telling someone as it happens may help as they can steer your brain back towards reality for you.

Hang in there. All things pass eventually, and you will get better.

Love

WF
worstfriend
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Return to Under 16s