Forced to take 20+ vitamin tablets a day

For any problem to do with being 16 or under.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Forced to take 20+ vitamin tablets a day

Postby too many problems » Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:35 pm

ever since I was 3 or 4, my mum has made me take loads of vitamin tablets every day. Now I am 13, she gives me 20-30 a day, some of them are huge and some taste foul. It is making my life miserable. Even if you dont have advice, if you are in this situation, please reply just to tell me I am not alone.
too many problems
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Postby Hailie » Wed Oct 12, 2005 3:10 am

is it possible you mum has O.C.D check it out on the internet and see if there is any simularity.

plus i'm not in the same situation and i doubt this will help, but i'm sure your not alone and there are other's going through the exact same thing as you.

Does your mum no how you feel? w/b

hope every thing work out!
Hailie
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Postby danielle » Wed Oct 12, 2005 11:00 am

im not in this situation but my mom is tiny and my step dad makes her take loads a vitamins because she dont eat properly but i have found them afew times at the bottom of her bags, still on the side where my step dad has put them for her.

all im saying is the people you love all wan the best for you.
ALL FOR FUN AND FUN FOR ALL
danielle
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby too many problems » Fri Oct 14, 2005 12:51 am

yes she knows how I feel, I complain practically every day. She takes even more and my dad, who has Hepatitis C, has to take even more than HER! she says that I need them cos I'm a vegetarian but I know alot of healthy vegetarians that DONT have them!
too many problems
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Postby Kruelty » Fri Oct 14, 2005 3:24 am

Well.. you can always 'refuse' to take them or 'Forget'

if all else fails i think you should show her this, show her you care about this and it is really annoying you maybe she will understand
Kruelty
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby saz » Fri Oct 14, 2005 3:04 pm

To be honest, I would say that is excessive amount of vitamins, and I dont think there is any benefit to taking so many - in fact you could be taking too much of some vitamins, that you are not meant to.

Perhaps you should ask your mum to go to the doctors with your, or see the nurse for some diet and health advice, and perhaps they could point out to her that with a healthy balanced diet, these pills are not really needed in this amount.

Tell her you can decide for yourself whether you want to take them or not, she cannot force you to put something into your body that you do not want and if you are worried she has an unhealthy interest in this, try and see what is worrying her. I imagine that it is a case of desparately trying to protect everyone and keep them healthy, nowt wrong with that, but you can't go about it in this way its not very well balanced.
Doesn't really matter what the eye is seeing
cos i'm in love with the inner being
saz
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby too many problems » Fri Oct 14, 2005 8:55 pm

I DO refuse to take them, every day, but she always manages to make me, she doesnt force me just says stuff like "then you cant go on the computer until you do" she insists most of them are to replace the nutrients that I lose by not eating meat, and gives me a reason for having every single one, but I really think I would be fine without the or just a few a day, it makes me feel like I have something really wrong with me and Im ill or something, healthy people don't need that many. She also says, because I am usually unhappy, that if I took them without a fuss every day I would be happier as I would be healthier. She always has an answer for why I should have them!
too many problems
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Postby peecee » Fri Oct 14, 2005 9:16 pm

Wow, I take vitamins, but I don't know how you've got room to eat your normal meals as well!! :o

I can understand that your mum's concerned for your health; vegetarians are more susceptible to anaemia, unless they know what they are doing with their food combining - especially teenagers, who are still growing, and who don't necessarily always have a good diet... :wink: And, of course, she's worrying about your dad's health, so she's trying to care for both of you in the same way, but going over the top in your case.

Have you tried asking your mum if you can't just have one very good- quality multi-vitamin? Much cheaper than all these tablets (although still expensive!), and much less hassle. I started on them at a time of extreme stress, and I actually did notice a difference. But everybody has their own opinion of vitamins...

Try your mum with the idea of something like Solgar multivitamins from your local health shop, and let us know how you get on!

xxxxxxxxx
Shine your light and let the whole world see.
peecee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Kruelty » Sun Oct 16, 2005 4:25 pm

That many vitamins could cause unhappiness and uneasyness, have you tried showing your mom this thread? it may pursaude her.

If not try to pursuade her not to give you so many, or take them then spit them out.

Hope it helps.

Peace.
Kruelty
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby lynne242 » Mon Oct 17, 2005 1:52 pm

Ive heard of an illness called "Munchausen Syndrome by proxy", where parents often try to make their children out to be ill or poorly, in order to gain attention for themselves. This can be somehting simple like forcing you to take vitamins, to actually hurting you deliberately so that you then have to be taken to hospital. this is an actual illness beyond the control of the parents....its not that they are cruel to you....its just that they are suffering from this illness. And it is an illness - they cant help what they are doing. If this is what it is then your mum would need to get some professional help. Eminems mum was reknowned for having this illness...she used to feed him pills even when he wasnt ill.

Does your mum ever tell people that you are quite poorly and that you need to take vitimins to be strong? discuss you in a way that makes you out to be ill with people feeling sorry for you.... Even if this is not true at all..or does she keep this a secret?

Does she bring it up in conversations that you are ill in any way, even if you are not?

Take care xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
lynne242
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby PinkPrincess » Sat Oct 22, 2005 4:40 pm

Taking that many pills can't be good for you! I think there's some kinda of chemical in tablets that holds the powder together and if you have to much then it's bad for the lining of your stomach. Talk to your mum about it, maybe she doesn't know you feel like this. You could just take one multivitimin tablet a day which has everything you need in one. You can also get special suppliments for vegitarians which replace all the stuff you would get in meat.
PinkPrincess
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby mattsglobe » Sat Oct 22, 2005 4:50 pm

if you can't reson with your mother deamand that she takes you to see yur gp or a dieticion;taking that much vitamins cat be gud
nobody's perfect
so lets all be a nobody
mattsglobe
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Postby too many problems » Sat Nov 05, 2005 4:45 pm

Umm... she is quite paranoid about me GETTING ill, like if I sneeze or something she asks if I have a cold or need extra vitamin C, but she doesn't tell people I'm ill when I'm perfectly healthy.
too many problems
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Postby brfc » Sat Nov 12, 2005 10:52 am

think you and your mum need to mayb see a doctor about all this pill taking. a bit of reasurance from a doc might stop your mums obsesion with all these pills.
brfc
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby Bubble » Sat Nov 12, 2005 9:22 pm

I completely agree with Saz. Like other people have said most vitamin tablets that are available today are mainly 'one a day' capsules. It may be an idea to go and see your nurse or dietician to gain information on how many vitamins you should take if any, or also if a well balanced diet would provide you with the vitamins you need. As i'm anaemic and need iron tablets i've found that the vitamin capsules available are usually a supplement for those people not getting the nourishment they need from their daily food intake.
Nuff Love
*Donna*
xxxxx
Bubble
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Next

Return to Under 16s