Babies

This area is for general aimless chit chat.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Who are babies more associated with

Mother
79%
Father
No votes
Equal
21%

Total votes : 14

Re: Babies

Postby Bel Bel » Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:39 pm

your answer to all his critism should be "WELL I BLAME THE PARENTS"
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby spacegirl » Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:27 pm

dipsydoodlenoodle wrote:"I'm disappointed you didn't go on to do a doctorate", "I'm disappointed you didn't become a pilot", "your teeth aren't white enough", "you have spots, you don't wash your face properly" etc. It's always like this, always has been, always will be...

mums are just as bad...

i've always had trouble putting weight on and she'll say to me "you're too skinny" so i went and stuffed my face for months with fast food, which made me really unhealthy and put weight on but not in a nice healthy looking way, and she says "you're getting fat"! can't win!

I'm closer to my mum but my brother is closer to my dad. I just think that's our personalities tho. I love reading on here about the devoted dads like ILoveChristmas. I've so many friends (in fact all of my friends who have kids), and the dads all left in favour of a bachelor's life of partying and sleeping around, and have nothing to do with their kids.
not if you were the last dandy on earth
spacegirl
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby captainf » Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:02 pm

dipsydoodlenoodle wrote:
ILoveChristmas wrote:Trying not to move topic if possible

You move it if you want to hehe.
Bel Bel wrote:daughters dad is useless. Even now she is an older teenager he puts her down and is constantly critical. Never praising her.

That is the way my dad is with me, he does praise occasionally. He did tell me "I'm disappointed you didn't go on to do a doctorate", "I'm disappointed you didn't become a pilot", "your teeth aren't white enough", "you have spots, you don't wash your face properly" etc. It's always like this, always has been, always will be...

My mum and dad are fairly layed back and just tell me to become whatever I want to.
My nan and aunt dont like the idea of me flying.

Its interesting though, how parents react. Alot of my friends had parents who wanted them to be pilots or doctors without the parents and their kids actually knowing anything about those industries.. afterall it takes certain people and characters to live up to those sorts of professions. From a flying perspective would you be prepared to spend anything from £50,000 to £100,000 to train? Not to mention all those exams on the ground and in the air.. and after you've spent that money theres no guranteed job at the end of it.. you just become another low houred pilot looking for a job. Then you end up with an airline and they treat you like rubbish (being a pilot isnt what it was like 40yrs ago) Now im willing to do that, but if someone told me I could spend the same amount of money and become a doctor I wouldnt be interested. Theres certain jobs you just can't go into because they require a certain passion, drive and character. Its good that people have different ideas of what they want to be. My cousin is a doorman and earns anything from about £10 per hour to £15 per hour. Not too bad and not the most desired job neither!
Remember how the runway lights looked one night long ago when you were lost and found your way, and how-you still dont know?
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:03 am

I'd love to have been a doctor, I'm just not clever enough.

I told my dad I wanted to do engineering when I first went to uni and I was basically told I was stupid, so I spent 3 years doing Physics. Then I did a masters in engineering, I now earn more than my dad (well a fraction more or the same) and he said "if I'd known engineering wasn't sitting in a factory I'd have encouraged you" GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR. He wouldn't listen to me when I first tried to say.
A hug is a great gift, one size fits all.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby Bel Bel » Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:21 pm

I like the idea of being a doctor but hopsitals have too many germs in (my ocd kicking in again - lol)

A pilot would be pretty cool too but not for all the effort with no guarentee at the end

I always wanted to be an actress in the theatre but was too scard to ask my dad to pay for me to go to drama school

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby spacegirl » Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:31 pm

well i studied law due to pressure from my parents - they weren't too bad, but i went to a school where your options were basically law, medicine.. or law or medicine.
Actually i went to art college first but couldn't think of a career i'd want out of it so when i was changing courses for the next year my parents went on about law. while studying law i thought uh uh no way and just did what i wanted. my parents still go on about how i'd be a barrister by now but i'm not interested. i wouldn't have been happy. I'd never put pressure on kids to do sth they didn't want to. as long as they weren't layabouts and wanted to make something of their lives i'd be happy no matter what they did.

a friend of mine from school went down the medicine route cos her 2 big sisters were doctors and dropped out in her 7th year :o

When i was a kid i wanted to be an archaeologist and dig up egyptian mummies but then someone told me there's be a load of insects and that killed my ambition flat. since then i haven't a clue what to do with my life!!
not if you were the last dandy on earth
spacegirl
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby Bel Bel » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:02 am

well being happy sounds like a great ambition to me :D

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby RagDoll » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:34 am

My parents didn't try to push me into being one thing or another, but they always said I should do something 'sensible'. If I'd done what I'd really wanted to do and enjoyed most, I would have probably done something more arty/english related at uni, but my parents subtly let me know they thought that'd be a waste of time as it'd be hard to find a related job. I ended up doing geography and I'm not exactly happy in my career now. Having said that, I still think they were right in a way, it would have been difficult to do something with a more arty degree!
We don’t see things the way they are; we see things the way we are
RagDoll
Taken Root
Taken Root

Previous

Return to Chit Chat