Snow...

This area is for general aimless chit chat.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Re: Snow...

Postby captainf » Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:42 pm

Forgive me for asking, but you say you get more snow in the summer.. but your location is England. England doesnt tend to get snow in the summer, so where are you? :lol:
Remember how the runway lights looked one night long ago when you were lost and found your way, and how-you still dont know?
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:08 pm

I was joking about the snow in summer. It was just quite funny that the country shut down for a few inches of snow when places near me (ok Yorkshire so not so near) were interviewed saying they'd managed to deliver all of the morning papers, except 3 - it showed where they were and it was valleys and mountains.

We get snow and we don't even make the local news; or we did this time but normally we hear more about the snow in London than we do at home. When in fact we get FAR more at home.
A hug is a great gift, one size fits all.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby captainf » Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:05 am

I see. I dont really know what the weather is like in Yorkshire so i'll have to take your word for it but statistically it was the heaviest snowfall we've had for 30yrs.. so im not sure if that was a record for the south or the country as a whole but judging by what you're saying Yorkshire regularly breaks that?

As for country shutting down - I can only speak in defense of aviation as thats my field. Snow/Ice obviously has a risk factor and therefore runways cant be cleared of snow until snow actually falls on them and therefore airports have to run at a reduced rate, normally leading to delays and cancellations. Also cloud height and visibility play part from a pilots perspective regarding to the CAT of the ILS and minimums (I know, you probably dont understand - it is complicated) All this ties in with safety.
Remember how the runway lights looked one night long ago when you were lost and found your way, and how-you still dont know?
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:43 am

I understood until you used CATS and ILS.

As far as I am aware Yorkshire regularly break the record for snow fall. I'm further North than that but it makes our news.

Snow hasn't affected my work at all - I deal with stuff 100m under the sea lol :(.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby captainf » Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:33 pm

Ah dont worry, I had a feeling those were the bits you wouldnt get. :lol:

I'm curious now, what do you work as because you mentioned dealing with things under the sea?
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:40 am

Subsea pipes lol.

I know what CATS is in medical stuff and ILS is in pipe stuff but not flying things hehe.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:52 pm

We had snow again yesterday :)
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby Bel Bel » Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:22 pm

thankfully we have had bright sunshine all week, very cold though
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby captainf » Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:15 am

dipsydoodlenoodle wrote:Subsea pipes lol.

I know what CATS is in medical stuff and ILS is in pipe stuff but not flying things hehe.

haha.. same abbreviations, different meanings! :lol: :lol: Too detailed and technical for me to go into detail in this topic, and the mods will get mad ;)

Subsea pipes? Sounds interesting and complicated.
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Previous

Return to Chit Chat