School days are the happiest days of your life

This area is for general aimless chit chat.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

School days are the happiest days of your life

Postby rufio89 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:50 am

ok I was on the tram earlier, and I heard someone say this to their kid, and I remember people saying it to me when I was at school.

Do you agree with this? I completely do not. I think that's a horrible thing to say to miserable kids. I remember being at the peak of teenage angst, totally depressed and thinking that life wasnt worth living, and someone saying that to me, and I remember thinking "This is the best it's gonna get??? I may as well give up now!!!!"

What are other peoples opinion on this?
rufio89
Taken Root
Taken Root

Re: School days are the happiest days of your life

Postby sarahmienwok » Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:55 am

Yeah I agree. I hated school and couldn't wait to get out, and I think a lot of kids are like that. I reckon the only reason adults say that is because being grown up sucks. We all want to live in Never Never Land, but we can't, so we try and pass this 'wisdom' onto our kids. Being at school is basically like being at work. It's not until you actually have to work that you realise how good you had it at school!
sarahmienwok
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby rufio89 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:59 am

I MUCH prefer working to school, and I much prefer being an adult to being a kid.

It's a lot more complicated being an adult, no doubt about that, but there's so much more good that comes of it. Plus as a young teenager, I was just like a ticking hormone-bomb.
rufio89
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby snail » Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:04 am

rufio89 wrote:Do you agree with this? I completely do not. I think that's a horrible thing to say to miserable kids. I remember being at the peak of teenage angst, totally depressed and thinking that life wasnt worth living, and someone saying that to me, and I remember thinking "This is the best it's gonna get??? I may as well give up now!!!!"

TOTALLY, TOTALLY agree with you, Ruth. I've always thought this. Idiots who say this to young people should have nettles stuck in their underwear or something.
Last edited by snail on Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
How we spend our days is how we spend our lives.

Annie Dillard
snail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby whoopsie » Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:00 pm

School was the worst time of my life. I hated it. I was bullied all the way through until college. I do not agree.
=^..^=
whoopsie
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby Weasley » Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:54 pm

I kinda of have to agree - I think I was happier at school than I am now. I mean when I was like 16, I had no responsibilities. I could just hang with my friends and not worry about money or anything. When I was with my ex I constantly wished I could go back. I think if we all went back to a day in the life of a 16 year old, it would be completely different to how you remember it as we have different views and thoughts as an adult.
I don't know, maybe it's just me but I would love to go back to been a high school kid with absolutely no worries (well, maybe some but I think the biggest worries were "Oh my god I have a spot" and things like that.)
xxx :)
Weasley
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:36 pm

I think it's said to be happier because you have no worries, no adult responsibility etc...
A hug is a great gift, one size fits all.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby Bel Bel » Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:46 pm

I liked school but hated being there because i worried what was happening to my mum (my step dad used to beat her up regularly) so that time of my life was just horrible generally :cry:
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby rufio89 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:49 pm

I liked school but hated being there because i worried what was happening to my mum (my step dad used to beat her up regularly) so that time of my life was just horrible generally

That's awful BelBel. Maybe that's the reason I hated school so much - not the same circumstances, but because bad things were happening in my life, and I was generally miserable because of them
rufio89
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby brfc » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:22 pm

i think id like to go back to school knowing what i know now. at school i was bullied but never had the confidence to stand up for myself. now ive gained confidence over the years id love to go back with this confidence i have now and put a stop to the bullying i had aand mayb that would have helped me get better grades. still things are not working out too badly in my little old life at the mo :)
brfc
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby rufio89 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:05 am

i think id like to go back to school knowing what i know now

I'd like THAT, there's so much I did wrong at school, that's shaped how my life is now, and I dont regret it exactly, but I wonder what my life would have been like...
rufio89
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby fairy of darkness » Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:17 pm

I very very VERY strongly disagree
life is so much more than school
and i couldn't WAIT to leave
i'm so glad to be past it x
Constantly moving
fairy of darkness
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby HappyGoLucky » Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:10 pm

Hmm, I'm still at school and kind of don't agree with that. I haven't experienced work before, lol, but sometimes I simply can't wait to finish school! Life seems so much more exciting and I really can't wait to get there. I know it's not a total bed of roses but it does sound ... well, interesting.
Life is like a box of chocolates... you never know what you're gonna get!
HappyGoLucky
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby spacegirl » Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:19 pm

I always wondered about this myself, school was definitely not the happiest time of my life, i couldn't wait to get out!!!
not if you were the last dandy on earth
spacegirl
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Return to Chit Chat