eBay scammers...

This area is for general aimless chit chat.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

eBay scammers...

Postby Weasley » Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:58 pm

Grrrrrr!
Don't they just wind you up?
I've had a load of them recently, usually when selling mobile phones. I've just sold a BlackBerry on eBay and had a winning bidder. I then had one of those dodgy emails from "PayPal" saying I need to post the package first and then enter a Shipping/Tracking number in order for the money to send! And why is it always to an address in Nigeria? Do they really think people are that gulible??? And why be so kind as to add on an extra £40 for the postage? If that's not suspicious in itself then I don't know what is!!
Just needed a rant...I have had my phone on eBay for 7 days with a big note saying "Will not post unless cleared funds in PayPal account first". What a time waster! I'm soooo mad...

Any similar experiences on eBay??
xxx :)
Weasley
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Re: eBay scammers...

Postby snail » Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:23 pm

You need to set your Buyer Preferences to block bidders registered in countries to which you don't post.

Obviously, never post without checking that the funds are in your PP account first, and use Special Delivery, not just Recorded - Recorded won't cover valuable items. However, putting that thing about "cleared funds" won't make any difference I don't think, as no one would expect you to post without this anyway: even the scammers try to convince you the funds have cleared. If you're a new or low-feedback ebayer PP may also hold the payment for 21 days anyway - I assume you know about that? It won't clear until the 21 days are up or the buyer leaves positive feedback. You have to post it regardless, in fact you must post within 7 days of payment to qualify for Seller Protection under PP rules.

These scammers must catch someone or they wouldn't bother, but I agree, it's hard to believe anyone's that gullible :-k . The fake PP email seems to be the effective bit.
These mountains that you are carrying, you were only supposed to climb.

Najwa Zebian
snail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:11 am

Is there no option to report them?
A hug is a great gift, one size fits all.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby snail » Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:23 am

They just open another account, Dips. Their account details are fake, anyway. Presumably only the address they give you in the email is a real one.

Legally there's nothing you can do if you do send the phone and don't get the money unless you want to go out to Nigeria and pursue your case.

Najwa Zebian
snail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:46 am

I figured the last bit :) I jsut didn't know about the first bit. I've only bought like 2 or 3 items off e-bay and never sold so I'm pretty much still an e-bay virgin!
A hug is a great gift, one size fits all.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby Weasley » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:05 pm

Thanks Snail...
I have been using eBay since 2003 so have good feedback and have sold numerous mobile phones...the thing that annoys me is that when they have won the item it comes up with a UK address but when you send them the invoivce they email back saying "can you post to so and so in Nigeria!" I've read it's the oldest trick in the book but it just really annoys me! Luckily I have resold to PAYING customer. Also you have to be very careful when clicking on links on the fake PayPal email, as it will take you to the PayPal home page and if you put your password in chances are they will get your password so always change your password. It's like a fake PayPal home page used to gather your information. I know someone one who did this and the scammer boughts hundreds of dollars worth of stuff with their account.
I clicked on a link at the bottom of my fake PP email and it took me to a holiday website in Turkisk!!!!!! Very dodgy!!!!!!
xxx :)
Weasley
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby snail » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:16 pm

It sounds like you're doing everything you can, Weasley. Phones are a nightmare on ebay.

Najwa Zebian
snail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Chit Chat