dogs?

This area is for general aimless chit chat.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

dogs?

Postby embop » Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:16 am

what type of dogs are ok with children say age 5 and up? does it depend on the dog or are certain breeds of dogs better with children?
I really really want a dog and Iv decided I'm probably going to get one when my youngest is about 5, but I'm worried about safety because of that story about the dog who killed that poor baby keeps popping in to my head. also I want a type of dog that is small and stays smallish, I'm not keen on dogs that come above my knee (they scare me a bit lol). oh and is it better to get a puppy for trust and things? It must be hard for a dog from a shelter to trust you, but I feel so sorry for them.
so what breed of dog is best?
Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do but never gets you anywhere.
embop
Site Owner
Site Owner

Re: dogs?

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:22 am

I had a cocker spaniel when I was little.

She was never ever aggressive; I was messing with her once and we'd put some dinner down for her and I got down on my hands and knees next to her; she attempted to eat and when I playfully pushed her out the way she just sat back and watched me pretend to eat.

I think most spaniels are good. I find smaller dogs can be too yappy and bigger dogs may be a bit too much for small children. A lot of people where I live have westies (probably around 50% of the people have them) - labradors or boxers I've grew up with and they are ok - Poodles and basset hounds too. I personally wouldn't go for any of the muscle type dogs (again around 50% of peopke where I live have them).

Remember no matter how many people say get X variety of dog there will always be one bad egg in 1000 of them. Just look around at different dogs and try and see what they are like. Labradors and boxers are slightly bigger. My next door neighbours used to have a boxer and me and my friend used to dress both our dogs up - neither objected.
A hug is a great gift, one size fits all.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby Weasley » Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:33 am

Even before I read Dipsy's answer I was going to say a Cocker Spaniel...my uncle is on his second (sounds bad!) but they really are great dogs...
xxx :)
Weasley
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby LemonJuice87 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:25 pm

Well i grew up with a Rhodesian Ridgeback. Mum and Dad got him before i was born. Great dogs. NEED training though and you need to get them from a puppy. I'll shut up because they are big dogs lol. I could ramble forever about Ridgebacks.

Labradors are great, my Nan had one while we were growing up. She was awesome. Me and Mr. LemonJuice are gonna get one. I have a 2 year old and i'm not at all worried.

Boxers are brilliant, although I personally wouldn have one, i dont like them. My best friend has one and he is brilliant with my daughter and babies.

Again, Cocker Spaniels are awesome too.

Something small would be good, because then your kids could hold the dog on its lead while out walking. And you dont have to worry about the dog taking your kids for a walk lol.
You know you're a mum when the thought of food shopping alone becomes exciting.

When you and your significant other are having an argument, just take all of your clothes off during the spat and stand there. Something is bound to happen!! =]
LemonJuice87
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby m_m » Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:21 pm

I've had to remove this post due to identity issues, I hope that is not a problem x
Last edited by m_m on Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
m_m
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby embop » Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:43 pm

awww I'v been looking up about all the dogs you have mentioned and I really want a lab NOW! but I cant afford one yet :(

mum would you still babysit if I had a cute little lab? :P
Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do but never gets you anywhere.
embop
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:56 pm

Most people I know seem to agree labradors are the best dogs ever.

However I have informed my boyfriend we WILL be getting a cocker spaniel if we ever move in together (he just wants a dog really)!
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby Bel Bel » Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:31 pm

what about a cute little westy
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby Weasley » Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:51 pm

We have a labrador at the moment and he is very playful! The trick is you have to socialize them from an early age. Well socialized dogs grow up to be friendy and confident...before we bought our puppy the breeders tried to socialize them with anyone and anything!
Boxers I think are a bit hit and miss...my uncle had a boxer which was the friendliest dog ever. When he died my uncle got another one that was that agressive he had to put him outside when ever he had visitors. It got so much in the end they had to sell him on as he was worried about my young cousin.
xxx :)
Weasley
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby Jo » Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:22 pm

embop wrote:mum would you still babysit if I had a cute little lab? :P

Depends where the dog will be in relation to me and whether or not I have to interact with it :o
Jo
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby morris mouse » Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:45 pm

I've got a white westie. :) I've had her for 6 years now. Very friendly & good with children. :)
ImageImage
morris mouse
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:35 am

My problem with westies are they yap too much - my neighbours have had 3 and they've all been yappers; all the ones I know yap constantly! One of our next door neighbours westies was the most miserable and anti-social thing ever - he was aggressive if anyone walked past - needless to say the postman never delivered them post. Their second one seemed ok - unfortunately he was killed. Their third one doesn't even stop to take breaths between yaps at least the others did.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Return to Chit Chat