Travelling

This area is for general aimless chit chat.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Travelling

Postby rufio89 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:13 am

:( My friend is away travelling and I've just been looking through her pics on facebook and now I'm so jealous that I actually want to cry a little bit. AGH lol.
rufio89
Taken Root
Taken Root

Re: Travelling

Postby RagDoll » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:20 am

Haha I know what you mean; I'm always jealous of people who go travelling! I would love to do it, but I'm far too boring and sensible and wouldn't want to quit my job.
We don’t see things the way they are; we see things the way we are
RagDoll
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Bel Bel » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:21 am

SO KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN RAGDOLL, AND I DON'T THINK I COULD STAY IN HOSTELS :o
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby earthchild » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:03 am

i would absolutely love to go travelling, im saving to do so but its going to take me ages!
Actually was going to put a post on here to ask for any advice as to how much i should be looking to save if i wanted to go travelling in asia and the far east for about 6 months?
also when people go travelling, do they plan every their every move before they go or do they just go with the flow?
as its so expensive i think id rather plan most of it to get the most out of my money.
failing not being able to save up a small fortune, i might just go on one of those charity working holiday placements, i know they are hard work (6 days a week 5am to 6pm) but if its the only way of exploring the world needs must ! plus it would be good to know im giving something back.
has anyone been on one of these?
The Truth
Truth is a sweet nectar from an honest fruitful heart,
from the fruit come seeds and
from the seeds you have a harvest full of dreams.

(native american proverb)
earthchild
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby rufio89 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:15 am

My friend saved up about £4000 and spent about £2000 on flights. She's going for 5 months.
rufio89
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby earthchild » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:23 am

hey Rufio,

did she book all her flights before she left is she booking them as she goes along?
and did she book all her hostels before she left?

sorry to be a pain, but the only person i know that has travelled open up 5 credit cards to do so and is now 10k in debt :o
The Truth
Truth is a sweet nectar from an honest fruitful heart,
from the fruit come seeds and
from the seeds you have a harvest full of dreams.

(native american proverb)
earthchild
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:26 am

One of the women I worked with travelled America and they worked when they were there - just doing simple one off jobs but there was a job they had where they "delivered" cars to other states - I don't know if they got paid for it as such but it was free travel at least.

I think most people will maybe play it by ear when they go - however I'd HATE to be stuck somewhere with no where to stay so I do think planning it in advance would be way better even for peace of mind.
A hug is a great gift, one size fits all.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby rufio89 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:49 am

She booked all her flights in advance, and the first hostel, but after that they've played it by ear - seems to be the best way to go from what I've heard. xx
rufio89
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby captainf » Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:20 am

Just be glad that your friend is having a fun time.
Going abroad is fun but it doesnt change reality. For people with problems its a temporary fix but solves little.

I've personally never been abroad. Everyone comments how lucky i'll be once i'm an airline pilot as i'll travel the world but to be honest i've never given the travel part any real thought because I really am not bothered about that part of the job. Aslong as im flying i'll be happy.
Remember how the runway lights looked one night long ago when you were lost and found your way, and how-you still dont know?
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:07 am

captain_flynn wrote:I've personally never been abroad. Everyone comments how lucky i'll be once i'm an airline pilot as i'll travel the world but to be honest i've never given the travel part any real thought because I really am not bothered about that part of the job. Aslong as im flying i'll be happy.

I always thought wow Pilots are so lucky they get to fly everywhere - however my dad did point out they don't go on holiday or necessarily stay over and if they do it'll only be overnight. As you pointed out so long as you are flying you'll be happy.

We should have a PP world tour...Captain Flynn can fly us :) and everyone else can preach PP goodness to the rest of the world? :oops:
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby captainf » Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:30 am

Depends where they are going. Long haul crews can often get a few days away for rest when they fly to places like Singapore or Sydney.. short haul is a combination of an overnighter here or there but mostly home each night.

Also dont forget - passengers get jet lag on one flight, short haul crews can sometimes fly maybe 6 or so times a day - imagine the jet lag from that at the end of the day :D

Oh sure, i'll fly you guys alllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll over the world. :lol:
Remember how the runway lights looked one night long ago when you were lost and found your way, and how-you still dont know?
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby Moose » Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:00 pm

Oh Rufio - I know exactly how you feel! The trouble with Facebook is that everyone on there always looks like they're having the best time ever in whatever they're doing. But then I suppose it would be a bit silly to post things like "Moose is cleaning out the cat litter" or whatever else people actually really do in reality. You know what they say - the grass is always greener - and it's so true. I was whingeing the other day to someone about being tied down to one place and not having done the whole uni and travelling thing that everyone else seems to have done - but then someone said to me that I was lucky and they wished they had a stable job and a partner and a house. If I had done uni and travelling, I can totally imagine myself crying now that I had no girlfriend, no money and no house of my own, and being jealous of those on Facebook who were posting about snuggling down for the night with their partners.

(disclaimer - I am not for one minute suggesting that those who go to uni and travel are not likely to have stable jobs, partners or houses. This is a merely an illustration for the purpose of this thread. Over & out.)
Moose
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby spacegirl » Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:51 pm

I was thinking of going off travelling, but too much in debt from uni and all my friends are grown up in grown up jobs so i think i've missed my window! the way i see it, there's no point in being jealous of others, i bet you have things in your lfe that others are jealous of... human nature.

i so agree with moose, people's photos on facebook always make their lives look like a 24 hour party which isn't always the reality!!! i know i'm guilty of that! 8-[

although i do have a friend who updates every five minutes of her life on facebook which is quite funny

"becca has a cold"

"becca is having a lemsip to soothe her cold"

"becca is watching corrie"
not if you were the last dandy on earth
spacegirl
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:18 am

As moose said people aren't going to post the boring things or the boring photos - they are only going to inform you of the great stuff and the great photos. You can't "brag" with boring photos or as Moose said "Moose is cleaning the cat litter" people want excitement and they want to make themselves seem better than they are.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby snail » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:35 pm

Oh, good, I'm glad it's not just me that feels that way about Facebook - that everyone else is having a better time than I am!
How we spend our days is how we spend our lives.

Annie Dillard
snail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to Chit Chat