Skinny

This area is for general aimless chit chat.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Re: Skinny

Postby snail » Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:57 pm

captain_flynn wrote: I must addmit it does kinda make me feel inadequate when I hear women say things like 'I dont really like slim men' Basically saying that no matter how nice one maybe they will be judged on their physical attributes rather than their personal qualities.

That's how it feels to be a woman . . . every day. We are constantly judged on our appearance and not on our personal qualities :(
These mountains that you are carrying, you were only supposed to climb.

Najwa Zebian
snail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby captainf » Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:59 pm

rufio89 wrote:I think extremes of weight should be avoided. Too skinny, too fat. Some people are naturally skinny just as some people are naturally heavy, but so long as you stay within the healthy limits, then it's ok. but these girls are NOT healthy.

It's sad they feel the need to do this to themselves, they look like concentration camp victims.

Concentration camp victims? Just like certain fat people look as if you could stick a basket under them and fly accross the countryside on a pleasure flight? (incase you dont understand - hotair balloon) Not a nice comment, is it? I feel I have to say I dont personally feel that way but its easy to slate people for physical appearance and it shows what a shallow world we live in.

What you have to fundamentally look at is why these girls feel they need to look like that. No need for negative comments which can be confidence damaging. They have it drilled into their heads that they have to be thin etc. They probably dont see what you see. They are in a bad situation but its through being indoctrinated into thinking that they are supposed to look like that to be successful.

Being skin and bone is not attractive and shouldn't be glamourised. Being skin and bones because of an illness is different to being skin and bones out of choice.

Fine line though, wouldnt you say? Afterall its the magazines who glamourise it and its the models who have to fit the bill to be able to be a model so they are forced into it. It can easily become a weight issue that takes over someones life and I think for most models thats the case. Like I said, I doubt they see what you see.
Remember how the runway lights looked one night long ago when you were lost and found your way, and how-you still dont know?
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby rufio89 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:06 pm

its easy to slate people for physical appearance and it shows what a shallow world we live in.

I dont think it is shallow. This goes far beyond a desire to be thin, and I'd imagine that these girls have psychological damage far beyond low confidence.

But these girls are killing themselves. One of my closest friends at school was severely anorexic. She didnt get as thin as the girls in these pictures, but she damn near killed herself. You cannot get that thin without starving yourself, and when you get to that point, it's not as simple as just gaining the weight again. Her organs started to shut down. She's caused herself permanent heart, kidney and intestinal damage, and because of that her life with be SIGNIFICANTLY reduced, no matter what she does now. I'd imagine that the same goes for these girls.

I dont look at most skinny people and think "ugh you look digusting", just as i dont look at most fat people and think that, but if someone is seriously damaging their health then it's not as simple as attractive or not.

Girls like those in the pictures will probably starve themselves to death. It's happened before, remember Ana Reston?
rufio89
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:41 pm

rufio89 wrote:I dont look at most skinny people and think "ugh you look digusting", just as i dont look at most fat people and think that, but if someone is seriously damaging their health then it's not as simple as attractive or not.

Ditto
A hug is a great gift, one size fits all.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:46 pm

Ok since I didn't know who Ana Reston was I did some research

Ana Reston was the second model reported to die from anorexia-related complications in 2006, after 22-year old Luisel Ramos. Luisel's 18-year-old sister Eliana Ramos, also a model, died at her grandparents' home in Montevideo of an apparent heart attack, believed to be related to malnutrition.

There we go, 3 young girls died because they were starved (and not because they couldn't afford it) - The World Health Organization considers a BMI of around 16 to be starvation.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:51 pm

dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby rufio89 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:53 pm

I think it's terrifying.

I feel awful for these poor girls - there's also a strong link between anorexia and sexual abuse as a child.
rufio89
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby captainf » Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:58 pm

Okay, Rufio89, im not sure if you've properly read my comments or just require spoon feeding. I'm sorry for what your friend went through and I do also understand that these girls are indeed starving themselves to death. However, what I did say in my last few posts was that I dont feel the critical comments about the way they look was necessary. It doesnt help. A few years ago when I was at my worst and couldnt gain weight at all my gran made alot of critical comments and it didnt help me in the slightest, infact it made things worse. I also emphasis that this is the same situation with over weight people - constant criticism about looks doesnt help. I've already said it once, and i'll say it once again - these girls dont see what you see, they believe thats how they are supposed to look because thats how their industry has indoctrinated them to think. To overcome all this they would require counselling.

We do indeed live in a shallow world - we have magazines throwing all kinds of celebrity trash in our faces and for them to keep doing it they must be making a profit and therefore alot of people must be buying it, most people are materialistic and want the latest things, alot of people do judge others by appearance without even realising it - even this topic has judged these girls by appearance. They are people with feelings, just like fat people, just like people with an average weight too. The only difference is that they require help to get better but they dont realise it.

I feel I also have to say that I dont agree with them being that weight but I do understand that there is a reason as to why they are compelled to be that way regardless to how right or wrong it maybe and how quite clearly it has taken over their lives and become an obvious problem that they can't see. Remember, modelling agencies can be quite damning towards girls who dont fit the bill and can even make girls with a healthy weight feel ugly simply by saying they need to 'lose a few pounds' to meet their requirements. Its a nasty thing to be judged on your physical appearance and obviously certain models take it to an extreme - whether they realise it or not. They do require help because they are making themselves ill.
Remember how the runway lights looked one night long ago when you were lost and found your way, and how-you still dont know?
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby snail » Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:13 pm

I think most people would agree with you about criticism not helping, Captain. But I think that the general outcry on this thread has been against these individuals being used as models, not against the individuals themselves. One of the differences between being dangerously underweight and dangerously overweight, is that no-one dresses dangerously overweight people in fashionable clothes, takes pictures and portrays them as ideal.

Having said that, I've never seen mainstream models as thin as this. I can't imagine these are 'normal' modelling pictures.
These mountains that you are carrying, you were only supposed to climb.

Najwa Zebian
snail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby captainf » Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:32 am

You could well be right regarding the intent of the topic but some of the comments were more physically critical than critical of the companies/society that warrents them to be that way. Sadly these girls are victims of their own industry. Its the industry they work in that makes the girls feel inadequate unless they weigh next to nothing. Perhaps this sort of thing should come under scrutiny from the law of human rights.
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby Jess1234 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:13 am

I think the industry does put far too much pressure on how thin a girl should be, I was watching a modelling programme the other day and this girl was a size 2 but the agents were all telling her that she's too fat and needs to lose weight. The thing is, is anorexia is a mindset, these girls can't see what we see. They will always be able to see areas that still need more attention. It's a mental disorder, nothing that thin is beautiful but that's how they have been conditioned to think.
~ Vision is knowing who you are, where you are going, and what will guide your journey ~
Jess1234
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby RagDoll » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:47 am

I would just like to add that I whole heartedly agree you shouldn't judge people on appearances and that we live in a somewhat warped society with regards to weight etc. but it IS human nature (to some extent) to judge people on appearances.

I obviously think it's wrong to make nasty comments etc. but you can't help but have an internal (usually sub-conscious) response to people's appearances - not just their weight, but their clothes/makeup/looks/expressions, even the way they carry themselves etc. Obviously sometimes your reaction will be a positive one, but equally sometimes it'll be negative. That doesn't necessarily make you a bad person, that makes you human.

Finally, I do think that personalities matter much more than looks, but we cannot walk around with our eyes closed.
We don’t see things the way they are; we see things the way we are
RagDoll
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Bel Bel » Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:56 pm

i think they should use all shapes and sizes of models, obviosuly suiting the right cut of clothes to the right shpe girl
teach us all to make the best of what we have and show people what a normal girl looks like
after all at the end of the day the cat walk leads to the high street
It might even make the industry create better cuts for real bodies
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:47 pm

I agree with Bel Bel however I don't think they should be using girls like the last girl in the photos I posted on catwalks. It would be fantastic to have tall, short, slim, fat girls on the cat walk. I don't see why it should make a difference. Some of the larger people fashions don't look good on slimmer women yet they look really nice on larger women and vice versa.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby Bel Bel » Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:17 pm

no onewho is unhealthy fat or thin but normal range of thin and fat girls i.e no one morbidly obese and no one seriously underweight. they could use bmi's as guideline no one under * or over *
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

PreviousNext

Return to Chit Chat