Skinny

This area is for general aimless chit chat.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Re: Skinny

Postby captainf » Sat May 30, 2009 1:32 am

Jess1234 wrote:I think the industry does put far too much pressure on how thin a girl should be, I was watching a modelling programme the other day and this girl was a size 2 but the agents were all telling her that she's too fat and needs to lose weight. The thing is, is anorexia is a mindset, these girls can't see what we see. They will always be able to see areas that still need more attention. It's a mental disorder, nothing that thin is beautiful but that's how they have been conditioned to think.

Yeah I agree with that 100% and thats what I was saying in previous posts. :)

I would just like to add that I whole heartedly agree you shouldn't judge people on appearances and that we live in a somewhat warped society with regards to weight etc. but it IS human nature (to some extent) to judge people on appearances.

I obviously think it's wrong to make nasty comments etc. but you can't help but have an internal (usually sub-conscious) response to people's appearances - not just their weight, but their clothes/makeup/looks/expressions, even the way they carry themselves etc. Obviously sometimes your reaction will be a positive one, but equally sometimes it'll be negative. That doesn't necessarily make you a bad person, that makes you human.

Finally, I do think that personalities matter much more than looks, but we cannot walk around with our eyes closed.

Hmm interesting way to look at it. Mind you though, my school days were pretty bad for me as I had bad eczema back then and was judged on appearance alot to the extent whereby from a young age I learnt how rude and discriminating it is to judge people by appearance. Thankfully nowadays people often cant tell I have eczema now as its nearly gone, but I do think back to my younger days and feel sad about the way people looked or comments that id get. In addition during my late teens I was thin and although im better than I was, I still have trouble putting weight on and all I got (and occasionally still get) from my gran is negative comments about my weight. It doesnt help with anything. I am used to being judged by my physical appearance but nobody gains my respect for it.
Remember how the runway lights looked one night long ago when you were lost and found your way, and how-you still dont know?
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby LME79 » Sat May 30, 2009 9:19 am

snail wrote:
Having said that, I've never seen mainstream models as thin as this. I can't imagine these are 'normal' modelling pictures.

Indeed - some of the pictures shown on that link actually look Photoshopped to me - I have never seen a catwalk show with models as thin as that (though obviously I could be wrong).

I just want to add that I don't believe celeb magazines glamourise skin and bone - they throw celeb stuff in your face, for sure, but remember when Nicole Richie got very very thin (and, at the moment, Lindsay Lohan)? The last thing they were doing was advocating such a figure and they printed the pictures to shock, rather than endorse. I have to read these magazines regularly for my job, not because I love celebrity (believe me, I don't like 'celeb culture'), and I have to admit that I rarely see articles where girls are encouraged to get down to a stupid dress size like a size 0 (that particular debate has died down a lot now, thankfully).

EDIT: I'm purely talking about magazines rather than the fashion industry as a whole
I want to be..a tree..
LME79

Postby captainf » Sat May 30, 2009 1:58 pm

The last thing they were doing was advocating such a figure and they printed the pictures to shock, rather than endorse.

Quite possible that you are right, however, how would you feel if it was your photo and they were criticising your weight?
Lets face it, no one likes being judged by their weight or looks but quite often its those who dont like it who actually do it.
Remember how the runway lights looked one night long ago when you were lost and found your way, and how-you still dont know?
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby LME79 » Sun May 31, 2009 1:10 am

If I was at an extremely unhealthy weight (which Nicole Richie was, let's face it), it'd probably give me a wake up call, just like my graduation picture motivated me into losing weight because I was carrying a little too much timber and it showed. But that's just me.
I want to be..a tree..
LME79

Postby captainf » Sun May 31, 2009 1:40 am

Yes, obviously it would be easy to state something like that however saying it would give you a wake up call when you worked in an industry that warrents you to be thin seems abit odd. I dont know how many more times i've got to say that these girls dont see what you see. When fat people get fat they see it and try to lose weight.. when people develop anorexia or work in an industry that warrents weight loss the girls really dont see the problem. Thats what makes it dangerous. When they look at the pics normally their first thought is 'I could lose more weight'
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Previous

Return to Chit Chat