Happy St. George's Day..

This area is for general aimless chit chat.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Happy St. George's Day..

Postby RagDoll » Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:20 am

.. everyone! :)

Is anyone actually celebrating in anyway?! It's a shame it's not a Bank Holiday!
We don’t see things the way they are; we see things the way we are
RagDoll
Taken Root
Taken Root

Re: Happy St. George's Day..

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:21 am

I forgot even though I did a "quiz thing" on it yesterday!

No celebrations for me, Work, Appointment with Mortgage lady, housework, bed...
A hug is a great gift, one size fits all.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby RagDoll » Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:23 am

I forgot about it too until a colleague mentioned it to me! It's a shame we don't make more of it really. I'm not doing any celebrating either, I might have done if it'd been on a Fri/Sat! (any excuse...)

A bit off topic, but how was the house yesterday then Dipsy?
RagDoll
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:05 am

It was a disaster...I knew it needed remodernisning - that wasn't or isn't the problem...the house was tiny, it's up for £105,000...the estate agent kept saying it doesn't smell of damp (it stunk), then she said when the market picks up the house will sell for £160,000 at least...we said we didn't believe her because my house it twice the size and doesn't sell for £160,000 (or rather £160,000 is the maximum price). It had suspended ceilings everywhere - you know like they have in offices with the polystyrene tiles, the 3rd bed room was smaller than my desk at work - then they had the combi boiler in it - the estate agent said you could make it a walk in wardrobe (yes if I don't crack my head of the ceiling all the time oh yes and their is a boiler in the way, so there would be no spaces for clothes - the room was literally 2m long, it was about 50cm wide at one point and around 1m wide at the door) - the room would just be wasted space. The two double bed rooms wouldn't have fit a double bed in and a bedside table - they've have fit a bed in but nothing else. However the garden was nice, oh and the estate agent was 20mins late! I could see the house working for a single person or an older single person - I'd like a house that my bf could move into with me and I'm looking at a house that I can stay in for a good few years not outgrow within 6 months.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby RagDoll » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:24 am

That doesn't sound much good! Oh well, back on with the search!! These things take time. Looking at plenty of houses at least gives you a feel of what's available for your budget and you'll soon realise what's good value and what isn't.
RagDoll
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Jo » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:35 am

People have been campaigning to make it a public holiday for ages! I wish they'd hurry up! :lol:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/6573011.stm

This one has noise, so beware if you're at work!
http://www.stgeorgesday.com
Jo
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:02 pm

There is also a government petition going around. I signed it a few years ago...you can find it on the net somewhere.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby RagDoll » Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:18 pm

Yeh, I remember signing it too. More holidays would be great!
RagDoll
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:21 pm

My only problem would be that we'd have easter, then st. Georges day, the may day then the ones at the end of may...then after August we have none until Christmas. I think they should move it to October or November :).

It was either next year or the year after we have easter really late and then the following week it's the 1st May Bank Holiday. It would be nicer if they spaced them out more. However I'd gladly accept it as a "day of celebration" (or a day off work).
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby RagDoll » Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:34 pm

Yeh, think it was last year when Easter was at an odd time - wasn't it early as opposed to late though?! I think of Easter being in spring-time, but I know my boyfriend and I were in Norwich at the time and it snowed!

It would be nicer if they were spread out, though at the moment I'm not thinking about the long term and I'm just happy to be off :) This is my first 5-day week in 4 weeks, haha. It's certainly dragging!
RagDoll
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:29 pm

Yea I think it was really early last year. It's a shame they can't pick a set date for it and stick to it...nevermind any time off is always good.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby snail » Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:58 pm

There are religious reasons why the date of Easter varies, so it's unavoidable I think.
How we spend our days is how we spend our lives.

Annie Dillard
snail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:34 am

snail wrote:There are religious reasons why the date of Easter varies, so it's unavoidable I think.

It's to do with the moon and lunar cycles...
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby rufio89 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:39 am

yeah its something to do with the equinox
rufio89
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:13 am

I found this on the net...

1) The reason the Christian celebration shifts on the calendar is that it is determined in respect to the Vernal Equinox (date when night and day are of equal duration). Because of this linkage to the cycles of the Sun and Moon, Easter has always been a rite of Spring. The word Lent is from the Anglo-Saxon word lengten, which means spring.

The ecclesiastical rules are:
o Easter falls on the first Sunday following the first ecclesiastical full moon that occurs on or after the day of the vernal equinox;
o this particular ecclesiastical full moon is the 14th day of a tabular lunation (new moon); and
o the vernal equinox is fixed as March 21.
o If the full moon is on a Sunday, Easter is the Sunday after. This is because it would otherwise coincide with the Jewish Passover. Celebrates Christ's resurrection.
resulting in that Easter can never occur before March 22 or later than April 25.

2) The "popular" rule (for Roman Catholics and most Protestant denominations) is that Easter is on the first Sunday after the first full moon after the March equinox. The actual rule is similar, except that the astronomical equinox is not used; the date is fixed at March 21. And the astronomical full moon is not used; an "ecclesiastical" new moon is determined by adopted tables based on the Metonic cycle, and "full" is taken as the 14th day of that lunation. There are auxiliary rules that make March 22 the earliest possible date for Easter and April 25 the latest. The reasons for this are that the method is then independent of longitude on the Earth and is thus independent of Time Zone. It also allows the date of Easter to be calculated in advance regardless of the actual motion of the Earth around the Sun.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Return to Chit Chat