The News

This area is for general aimless chit chat.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

The News

Postby m_m » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:54 am

Is it just me or are you scared to read the news nowadays? I always try and come into work early so I get a chance to have a quick look at the daily mail website and reading down the list of 'most popular' news stories just leaves me gobsmacked... It's just like complete doom and gloom every single day :o I keep trying my hardest to ignore it but it is just amazing (in a bad way)

What on earth is going on??!! ](*,) [-o<

x
m_m
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Re: The News

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:31 am

It's always doom and gloom...if the papers were full of happiness and fields of flowers and rainbows no one would buy them. Media make everything else seem worse than it is for people to buy the papers.
A hug is a great gift, one size fits all.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby earthchild » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:53 am

maybe im just a cynical, but most of it is just scare tactics. Its easier to control society if they are scared, people are willing to give up all their rights if they think they are getting protection in return.

and it really does work cos im really panicking about this Swine flu at the moment..
is anyone else worried about it? it seems to be spreading extremely quick, think theres already cases presenting in the Uk.
The Truth
Truth is a sweet nectar from an honest fruitful heart,
from the fruit come seeds and
from the seeds you have a harvest full of dreams.

(native american proverb)
earthchild
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:16 am

earthchild wrote:maybe im just a cynical, but most of it is just scare tactics. Its easier to control society if they are scared, people are willing to give up all their rights if they think they are getting protection in return.

I agree.

I'm not worried about swine flu, if it comes to the UK in huge doses then maybe I'll be worried but not at the minute. I don't see the point in worrying about it when it's more than likely not going to affect most of the UK. The two cases in the UK are a couple who were on honeymoon there. In fairness the health experts this time are at least saying we won't worry about it for a few weeks because it might be another "bird flu". (i.e. loads of hype and then nothing happened). They've also said they have enough anti-biotics to treat every 2nd person...
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby RagDoll » Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:09 pm

I agree with the above re: the media uses scare tactics and sensationalises everything. The tabloids are particularly bad for it!
We don’t see things the way they are; we see things the way we are
RagDoll
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby captainf » Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:04 pm

Its true, the news is just sensationalistic rubbish. I'm surprised you can actually get a job writing lies and broadcasting misinformation. I would of thought that would boarderline some legal infringment.

Todays overdramatised footage of AF1 during a photoshoot over NY just shows what the media broadcasts on a slow news day.

I dont read the newspaper and when I watch the news I have an open mind on everything they broadcast as its often a bias view point anyway. Most of the aviation related stuff is laughable when they give their 'expert' views and opinions without consultation with any aviation authority or figure, so when they start broadcasting other news I just imagine their information is probably just as bad.
Remember how the runway lights looked one night long ago when you were lost and found your way, and how-you still dont know?
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby m_m » Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:32 am

earthchild wrote:and it really does work cos im really panicking about this Swine flu at the moment..
is anyone else worried about it? it seems to be spreading extremely quick, think theres already cases presenting in the Uk.

I am also worried about the swine flu earthchild. What I don't understand is why didn't they quarantine the area in Mexico or stop people travelling to / from there, wouldn't that have been the most sensible option? Instead people are travelling back from there to all over the world, spreading it. We are getting cases here, one was confirmed in Germany this morning, its madness! If this does turn into an epidemic *touch wood* (I hope it doesn't obviously) people are going to look back on this and say 'Why were the people with the power to do something so stupid?!".
m_m
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:36 am

The thing with swine flu is the media are saying 150+ people have died from it HOWEVER only 20 confirmed people have died from it....it's a WAY bit different to 150 people.

captain_flynn wrote:Most of the aviation related stuff is laughable when they give their 'expert' views and opinions without consultation with any aviation authority or figure, so when they start broadcasting other news I just imagine their information is probably just as bad.

I agree with you captain_flynn...when they go on and talk about oil or gas we always have a giggle about it at work the following day. The classic last year was we need 70,000 more barrels per day to keep up with UK demand other wise we'll have no oil (que panic buying)...The ONE company we work for in Aberdeen have just opened another platform with the last 2 years and that one alone produces at least 70,000 barrels of oil per day...this isn't including the old ones, or the other new ones, or the proposed platforms...or in fact the other oil companies and this is purely in the North Sea. They keep saying "Oil is running out" - technically yes...however it's not due to run out for at least 200-400 years...
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby Weasley » Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:00 am

You have to remember that the Swine Flu (or Pig Flu as I call it!) is currently spreading around Mexico quickly because their provention methods and hospitals etc are not as good as the ones in the UK. At the end of the day it is a 3rd world country so they aren't going to be able to treat it and control it as well as other countries. I really thing there is nothing to worry about - there are a lot more diseases floating around Mexico as we speak which are contributing to the deaths. The news have even said the people who have died don't just have the Pig Flu, they have a combination of illnesses. I don't read the papers anyway...too much terrorism and disease and recession...blurgh!
xxx :)
Weasley
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby snail » Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:28 am

The media definitely over-hype everything bad. The objective is to make you feel that the information is something you need to know in order to be safe/successful/popular. So you are forced to read it.

It does depend on the quality of the reporting though - you can't tar all the media with one brush. I write articles for magazines and I have to be incredibly accurate. And 'writing lies and broadcasting misinformation' is liable to get someone prosecuted, Captain! It's usually a question of viewpoint though - a lie is a lie, but it's hard to say what is 'misinformation'.

I never watch the news because it is so alarmist: I read the headlines on the internet instead.
These mountains that you are carrying, you were only supposed to climb.

Najwa Zebian
snail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby earthchild » Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:41 pm

manufacture_me wrote:What I don't understand is why didn't they quarantine the area in Mexico or stop people travelling to / from there, wouldn't that have been the most sensible option?

exactly ! they keep going on about this being a potential Pandemic which is alot worse than an epidemic, and the warning level going from a level 3 to a level 4 alert out of 6 but yet they see no need to quarantine mexico.
the way they are portraying it, its like it could be the end of the world!
The Truth
Truth is a sweet nectar from an honest fruitful heart,
from the fruit come seeds and
from the seeds you have a harvest full of dreams.

(native american proverb)
earthchild
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:59 pm

Well a few airports here have cancelled flights to Mexico. My dad's friend is due to fly out to get married in around 3 weeks - bless him!

Quarantine would be a good idea, then again it's the sensible solution...it's just like they did with the foot and mouth outbreaks we had.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby Weasley » Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:54 pm

There is apparently no difference in the symptoms of Pig Flu as to normal seasonal flu and it is no more dangerous. It's just there has been a big bout of flu in Mexico and because of this everyone is panicking and wearing protective masks which makes is look even more serious and scary. I don't think there's anything to worry about - they have medicines to treat it. But you can't get away from it at the moment, there are "confirmed" cases everywhere! Oh no! Armegeddon has arrived!
xxx :)
Weasley
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby rufio89 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 pm

these news stories are ALWAYS ridiculous. There's been 2 cases in Britain and theyre both fine. I'd imagine all the deaths in Mexico are in slum areas.
rufio89
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby spacegirl » Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:21 pm

the first thing i do in the morning is get a coffee. then i switch on my pc and read the news. then i get severely depressed about the state of the world, convince myself that the end of the world is going to be in my lifetime, worry about my children (i have no children) who will have to grow up in a world of hatred that is falling apart bit by bit between terrorism, the credit crunch and now the swine flu.....

then i have to switch my pc off and start all over again, swearing i'll never read the news again.
not if you were the last dandy on earth
spacegirl
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Next

Return to Chit Chat