The News

This area is for general aimless chit chat.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Re: The News

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:03 am

Hmm someone my dad works with has just got back from Mexico and was sent home from work with flu symptoms.
A hug is a great gift, one size fits all.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby rufio89 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:07 am

uhho
rufio89
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:18 am

rufio89 wrote:uhho

I know!
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby captainf » Fri May 29, 2009 12:39 am

dipsydoodlenoodle wrote:I agree with you captain_flynn...when they go on and talk about oil or gas we always have a giggle about it at work the following day. The classic last year was we need 70,000 more barrels per day to keep up with UK demand other wise we'll have no oil (que panic buying)...The ONE company we work for in Aberdeen have just opened another platform with the last 2 years and that one alone produces at least 70,000 barrels of oil per day...this isn't including the old ones, or the other new ones, or the proposed platforms...or in fact the other oil companies and this is purely in the North Sea. They keep saying "Oil is running out" - technically yes...however it's not due to run out for at least 200-400 years...

Yeah, thats exactly what I mean, misquoting, giving false information etc. Not what I want from the news. I want facts, not the journalists own interpretation.

It's usually a question of viewpoint though - a lie is a lie, but it's hard to say what is 'misinformation'.

Well i'd say Dipsydoodlenoodle's example is a good one to show off how the media gives out misinformation.. basically watch any news channels coverage of an aircraft accident and you'll always be given misinformation. I love in news reports on aircraft accidents where they say 'When pilots try to land..' Try to land? Are they under the illusion that we dont really know how to land but sometimes get lucky, as if the cockpit convo between Capt and Co-pilot goes something like 'wow im doing well today with this landing considering so far this week ive written off 5 aircraft' :roll: Try? Thats hilarious.
Last edited by captainf on Fri May 29, 2009 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Remember how the runway lights looked one night long ago when you were lost and found your way, and how-you still dont know?
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Fri May 29, 2009 8:51 am

captain_flynn wrote:I love in news reports on aircraft accidents where they say 'When pilots try to land..' Try to land? Are they under the illulsion that we dont really know how to land but sometimes get lucky, as if the cockpit convo between Capt and Co-pilot goes something like 'wow im doing well today with this landing considering so far this week ive written off 5 aircraft' Try? Thats hilarious.

You mean they do know what they are doing? Wow all these years the news people had me convinced they didn't know.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby snail » Fri May 29, 2009 11:17 am

captain_flynn wrote:Are they under the illulsion that we dont really know how to land but sometimes get lucky, as if the cockpit convo between Capt and Co-pilot goes something like 'wow im doing well today with this landing considering so far this week ive written off 5 aircraft' :roll: Try? Thats hilarious.

:lol:
How we spend our days is how we spend our lives.

Annie Dillard
snail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby captainf » Fri May 29, 2009 2:07 pm

dipsydoodlenoodle wrote:
captain_flynn wrote:I love in news reports on aircraft accidents where they say 'When pilots try to land..' Try to land? Are they under the illulsion that we dont really know how to land but sometimes get lucky, as if the cockpit convo between Capt and Co-pilot goes something like 'wow im doing well today with this landing considering so far this week ive written off 5 aircraft' Try? Thats hilarious.

You mean they do know what they are doing? Wow all these years the news people had me convinced they didn't know.

haha ;)
Remember how the runway lights looked one night long ago when you were lost and found your way, and how-you still dont know?
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Fri May 29, 2009 2:59 pm

A pilot joke I have for you captain_flynn...although I'm sure you'll have heard it before

Two men dressed in Airline Pilots uniforms walk up the aisle of the
plane.

Both are wearing dark glasses, one is using a guide dog, and the other
is tapping his way along the aisle with a cane.

Nervous laughter spreads through the cabin, but the men enter the
cockpit, the door closes, and the engines start up.

The passengers begin glancing nervously around, searching for some sign
that this is just a little practical joke.

None is forthcoming.

The plane starts moving faster and faster down the tarmac and the people
sitting in the window seats realize they're headed straight for the
water at the edge of the runway.

As it begins to look as though the plane will plough into the water,
panicked screams fill the cabin.

At that moment, the plane lifts smoothly into the air.

The passengers relax and laugh a little sheepishly, and soon all retreat
into their magazines, secure in the knowledge that the plane is in good
hands.

In the cockpit, one of the blind pilots turns to the other and says,

"You know, Bob, one of these days, they're gonna scream too late and
we're all gonna f*ckin' die."
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby captainf » Fri May 29, 2009 3:08 pm

Think i've heard that one somewhere before :P Jolly good though, I laughed at the end :P

How about this for poetry..

I am the co-pilot, I sit on the right,
It’s up to me to be quick and bright;
I never talk back for I have regrets,
But I have to remember what the Captain forgets.

I make out the flight plan and study the weather,
Pull up the gear, stand by to feather;
Make out the mail forms and do the reporting;
And fly the old crate while the Captain is courting.

I take the readings, adjust the power,
Put on the heaters when we’re in a shower;
Tell him where we are on the darkest of night,
And do all the bookwork without any light.

I call for my Captain and buy him cokes;
I always laugh at his corney jokes;
And once in a while when his landings are rusty,
I always come through with, "By gosh it’s gusty".

All in all I’m a general stooge,
As I sit on the right of the man I call "Scrooge";
I guess you think this is past understanding,
But maybe some day he will give me a landing.

That always makes me laugh. Reminds me of my days training with my mums partner as my instructor (he was a very strict instructor) Mind you though, life is different for co-pilots now as they do alot more work. Infact, not much different to Captain's and landings are shared between alternate flights.
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby RagDoll » Fri May 29, 2009 3:18 pm

captain_flynn wrote:Mind you though, life is different for co-pilots now as they do alot more work. Infact, not much different to Captain's and landings are shared between alternate flights.

I thought the co-pilot got to do everything with the Captain's say-so? My boyfriend's brother is a pilot and my boyfriend and I were wondering what the co-pilots' role is, so we asked and he said the Captain basically choses whether he wants to fly the plane on that particular flight, if not the co-pilot does everything/as much as the Captain allows him to.
We don’t see things the way they are; we see things the way we are
RagDoll
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Fri May 29, 2009 3:22 pm

Yea I thought the co-pilot was basically the 2nd captain (i.e. the back-up if anything happens). Meaning he can do everything the same.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby RagDoll » Fri May 29, 2009 3:24 pm

The co-pilot can definitely do everything the Captain can, just think they're less experienced. They've still passed all their exams etc. otherwise that'd be a bit scary, haha. It is quite scary in a sense though that someone who has only just qualified as a pilot could be controlling the whole flight, but I know my boyfriend's brother has had a lot of training and flying hours!
We don’t see things the way they are; we see things the way we are
RagDoll
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby captainf » Fri May 29, 2009 3:28 pm

What i'm giving reference to is that the co-pilots and Captain's share the workload nowadays. Back in the old days things were not like that. One of my old instructors is 78 and back in the day when he was an airline pilot his first day as a first officer (you call them co-pilots) the Captain said to him 'Let me see your licence!' so he let him. The captain threw it on to the first officers seat and 'As for you young man, back of the plane, I DONT need you' Also another old instructor of mine (now my mothers partner) used to have an instructor who hit him while in the air (I think thats where he got his strict methods from and projected them on to me) Nowadays things arent like that and First officers get to land the plane etc. Captain is there as overall flight commander and therefore is responsible, but the first officer does an equal amount of work on the flightdeck itself.

You still get the odd Capt (or even First officer) on an ego trip though and have an ego twice the size of the plane they fly.
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby captainf » Fri May 29, 2009 3:31 pm

RagDoll wrote:The co-pilot can definitely do everything the Captain can, just think they're less experienced. They've still passed all their exams etc. otherwise that'd be a bit scary, haha. It is quite scary in a sense though that someone who has only just qualified as a pilot could be controlling the whole flight, but I know my boyfriend's brother has had a lot of training and flying hours!

Quite right. You can't really join an airline without 1500hrs. Basic requirements to become a first officer are normally; Have your ATPL, CPL/IR and twin rating + 1500hrs, Class 1 medical and possibly type rated to a particular aircraft. Once taken on you're taken on a course whereby which you complete about 20 take offs and landings with a type rated instructor.. then once allowed to fly with passengers you're on probation for a few months. Theres some give and take between airlines how long you're on probation for but the requirements to join are set out by the CAA in general.
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Previous

Return to Chit Chat