Rubbish :(

This area is for general aimless chit chat.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Rubbish :(

Postby rufio89 » Mon May 11, 2009 10:55 am

I'm a bit annoyed. Well not so much annoyed, just disappointed.

My boyfriend and I booked flights for Paris a few months ago and we're due to go this weekend just for a couple of days. We got really cheap flights and as it's quite close to his birthday I originally said, "I'll pay for a hotel and it can be your birthday present", and I thought we could have a nice weekend away.

He said that his uncle lives in Paris, so we should just stay with him, so we checked if that was ok and they said it's all fine, so we're going to stay with them.

We hadnt talked much about it since then, as it was so far off, but this past week we've been finalising plans with his uncle, and according to my bf's Mum, his uncle is expecting us to spend quite a lot of time with them and be at their house for dinner both the nights we're there, and generally be sociable.

I know it's petty, but I'm annoyed about it. It's not MY family, I've never been to Paris and I wanted to go to Paris to experience it, not to go on a family visit to see people that not even my boyfriend has bothered to see for 10 years. I know it's his family so he's going to want to see them, but I just feel like screaming, I feel like my nice trip that I planned has been hijaked. :(
rufio89
Taken Root
Taken Root

Re: Rubbish :(

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Mon May 11, 2009 11:05 am

His uncle should understand that you want to go visit the sites. There is no harm in having dinner with them each night as it can be expensive and still go out during the day and see the sites. If you want to visit the Eiffel tower and go up it get there for it opening - we did when we went and we waited in a queue of about 2 people, we looked down the eiffel tower around an hour late and the queue was HUGE, I looked over later and the queue I thought was huge had grown massivly. I should try and send the picture (yes I took a picture of the queue cos I was amazed at the size).

What were you planning on visiting? I got a Paris guide book before I went and we planned where we were going to go and on what day, we picked things that were close to each other and were easy to get to from each other on the metro.
A hug is a great gift, one size fits all.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby rufio89 » Mon May 11, 2009 11:11 am

I dont know what we're gonna do yet, I'm gonna look through this week, and see what I want to do. What do you reckon we should definitely do?

I definitely want to go up the Eiffel tower. But other than that I'm not sure.

We said we'd have a sit down and talk about what we wanted to see and when we should go, but I dont think we'll get a chance to do that now as I'm only seeing him WEdnesday of this week and we're going to his sisters house for his nieces birthday, and I'm seeing him Friday, but he's just coming round after work so it'll be like 10.30, so I'll not been in the mood by then if I've been sat in all evening. I'll just have to do it on my own and he can put up with what I decide if he's not prepared to make time to do it.
rufio89
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Mon May 11, 2009 12:37 pm

Eiffel tower definately; we went right to the top - it was fairly expensive but it was definately worth it. Once in a life time thing.

We did eiffel tower (I think it opens at 8.30am), then we got the metro to the Arc de Triomphe (it's the major metro stop), we went up the Arc - it was also fairly expensive - it was basically like the eiffel tower from the top (the views I mean). Then we walked for the Champs Ellysee (not worth it really) - we did find a free art Gallery - it was good but I'd rahter have seen the sites. We walked to the Place de la concorde (bottom of the champs ellysee) where the cleopatra's needle is and continued on to the Louvre art gallery. We went in; it was around 7 euro each so it was fairly cheap. We were in around 4 hours and we covered about a quarter of the gallery. I did see the Mona Lisa though. The next day we visited the Notre Dame (free entry, 5 euro into the treasury and we paid to go up the bell tower as well) - again it's nice but if you are pushed for time maybe it won't be worth it, however the gargoyles were good; we also went to a museum - where Marie Antoinette was held prisoner and a church (Saint Chappelle sp?) near the Notre Dame - they were good but there is loads more to see when you won't have a lot of time; we also went into the Notre Dame crypt - it's so not worth it. We also went to Sacre Coeur; it's a bit further out of the city; it's just a church on a big hill; you can see if from the top of the Eiffel tower. My only issue with it was that you weren't allowed to take photo's inside (you were EVERYWHERE else). We also went up the top of that - it was a mistake; we meant to go into the crypt. The views from up there were lovely. I'd recommend it; my bf moaned that there was yet more spiral staircases but when he saw the view he said it was worth it. There is a shopping district on the other side of Paris from Sacre Coeur and we went there as well - it was good but it was just shops really - nothing exciting. We only went cos we'd done everything we'd wanted to do...it was only when we got home I thought I'd have liked to have seen the Moulin Rouge; but I think it was quite a way out.

I'll have to post you my photos. They are on my face book; I'll see if I can send you the link for them when I get home (can't access it at work).
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby rufio89 » Mon May 11, 2009 12:44 pm

Thanks Dispy. I think the Moulin Rouge is actually really close to the Sacre Coeur.

These are the things I'd like to see:

Sainte Chapelle
The Louvre
Notre Dame Cathedral
Arènes de Lutece
The Eiffel Tower
Arc de Triomphe
Catacombs
Sacré Coeur
Moulin Rouge
rufio89
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Mon May 11, 2009 12:45 pm

Oh we also visited a military museam (Hôtel des Invalides and Napoleon's Tomb) -its around the Eiffel Tower. It was ok but nothing majorly exciting. We did see the Crypt of Napoleon in there which was pretty big!

We also went to the Jardins de Luxemburgh - it's basically a huge house (don't know if you can go in) with a nice little lake and gardens; we walked around there and found the "Pantheon" - I don't remember it much; I think it was a church-like building with crypts down below - there were a few famous people including Marie and Pierre Curie (my bf didn't know who they were - me being a Physics geek got excited lol). It's basically dark rooms with coffins in.

I bought the AA city guide to Paris - it was really useful. It had a pull out map in the back for when we got lost. I think it was around £7 so definately worth it as it sections Paris into 4 or 5 colours and then in each coloured section it tells you what tourist attractions are there, restaurants, shops etc...it also was useful for the metro map.

We got a 3 day metro pass - I was told it would save us a lot of money; I think it did really, where we would have talked places, we thought "ah lets use the metro". I don't know how much each metro trip costs but our pass was around 30 euro; you can get 2 day or one day ones I think as well. We just asked in the station for it.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Mon May 11, 2009 12:47 pm

We also did a boat trip up the river; we got it from the Eiffel tower although the guide books said get it from Nortre Dame; we didn't see any there.

My tip is SENSIBLE SHOES. My feet were KILLING; Paris was not designed for people with walking difficulties; all the metro stations were up and down stairs (I twisted my knee when I was there). I wore trainers and my feet were still sore from all the walking.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Mon May 11, 2009 12:49 pm

Oh I think I'd have liked the catacombs.

There is a couple of Churches where my bf's gran lives in Portugal which have "bone" displays. They are quite gross but fascinating; the ceilings are made out of skulls. They have flowers to "lighten" it up LOL!
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Return to Chit Chat