Tattoo

This area is for general aimless chit chat.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Tattoo

Postby m_m » Tue May 19, 2009 11:00 am

I've been thinking of getting a very simple and small wrist tattoo for a while now and I know exactly what I want and how I want it but I was wondering how you go about finding a good, hygenic tattoist in your area as I have seen how badly tattoos can turn out. Also I was wondering how long others with tattoos had waited on average before actually getting it done, how much it hurts and whether they regret it!

Any advice would be most appreciated :D

x
m_m
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Re: Tattoo

Postby RagDoll » Tue May 19, 2009 11:07 am

I would ask around and see if anyone can recommend a good tattooist - usually there are a few that keep cropping up because people have been happy with the results. I'm sure they're supposed to have some sort of licence/be a member of some association too (or something like that), but I'm not sure what to look for exactly, so hopefully someone else can help you out there.

I got one done when I was 16 (young and stupid!!). My friend and I were chatting about it one night and said we'd go and get one the next day, and we did. We literally just looked in the yellow pages and went to the tattooist that was the easiest to reach by bus!! I don't recall it hurting that much, but then again mine is only small. For all that I was a bit daft just going on the spur of the moment etc. I don't regret getting it done at all. Thankfully I picked something quite simple and black and I do like the fact it makes me smile when I think about it/see it because it reminds me of being young and silly.
We don’t see things the way they are; we see things the way we are
RagDoll
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby m_m » Tue May 19, 2009 11:13 am

RagDoll wrote:I would ask around and see if anyone can recommend a good tattooist - usually there are a few that keep cropping up because people have been happy with the results.

Unfortunately, there aren't really many people for me to ask :( I don't have many friends and of them only one has a tattoo, she recommend a place which is quite far away and they like you to go in for an appointment before you actually get it done so that is twice I will have to treck up there and I can imagine the travel costs being quite high! However, if I can't find anywhere else with a good recommendation I might have to go there :lol:

RagDoll wrote:Thankfully I picked something quite simple and black and I do like the fact it makes me smile when I think about it/see it because it reminds me of being young and silly.

If you don't mind me asking what is it RagDoll? :D

x
m_m
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby RagDoll » Tue May 19, 2009 11:25 am

It's just a tribal symbol, I can't really explain it more than that. It's on my hip. I keep thinking about getting it extended (if I can) but I'm yet to ask a tattoo artist about it (I've been meaning to add to it for years, haha).

Also, if you do go ahead and get one make sure you don't pick/knock the scab - I didn't pick at mine, but it must have got rubbed under my jeans or whatever as there are a few tiny patches on the tattoo where my skin colour is shining through. I have been meaning to get that corrected ever since I got it done (eight years ago!)
RagDoll
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby m_m » Tue May 19, 2009 11:31 am

RagDoll wrote:Also, if you do go ahead and get one make sure you don't pick/knock the scab - I didn't pick at mine

Yeah, thinking about that it might be a problem lol. I sort of lean my wrists on the keyboard / desk when I am typing so I'll have to think about how I am going to get around that!

x
Last edited by m_m on Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
m_m
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby RagDoll » Tue May 19, 2009 11:47 am

Hmm you'll just have to be as careful as you can. I think they all recommend different things with regards to how long you leave the bandage/plaster type thing on afterwards - mine told me to take mine off quite soon (maybe too soon?) so that might be why that happened.

What are you thinking of getting anyway? I think they look nice on peoples' wrists :)
RagDoll
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby m_m » Tue May 19, 2009 12:01 pm

I have removed this post due to identity issues, I hope that is not a problem x
Last edited by m_m on Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
m_m
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby earthchild » Tue May 19, 2009 12:39 pm

Hi Manufacture_Me...

Noticed you live in London so i can advise you of a very good tatooist place in Fulham,
unfortunately cant give you an address as im on my works computer and stupidly the site is listed under 'Adult Content'! but its somewhere near the Safeways thats there!
The nearest station is Fulham Broadway but its about a 10-15 mins walk from the station.

I had all my piercings done in there and can say its very clean, also they have alot of celebrities (David Beckham for one and various other footballers) that have had their tatoos done there with signed photos on the wall to prove it!
Both my mum and sister had their tatoos done there too and were pleased with the result.
and the prices are average too!

Good luck and please let me know if it hurts!
The Truth
Truth is a sweet nectar from an honest fruitful heart,
from the fruit come seeds and
from the seeds you have a harvest full of dreams.

(native american proverb)
earthchild
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby RagDoll » Tue May 19, 2009 3:33 pm

I googled the ankh and Feather of Maat and I think aesthetically speaking the ankh would look better, but obviously I understand it's also about the meaning behind the symbol for you.

This topic has re-ignited my enthusiasm for getting mine extended. I just need to find a decent tattoo artist...
RagDoll
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Weasley » Wed May 20, 2009 9:26 am

I have 7 tattoos and am planning my next one for when I get to the US. It's one I"ve designed myself as a symbol for a new start and I'm going to get it added on to the one on my foot.
I have 3 stars on the inside of my wrist and on the outside I have the sun. I also want the moon phases done around my wrist to make it look more like a band...
I don't really think any of my tattoos hurt...the one on my foot hurt the most out of all of them. I got mine done some locally, one in Aberystwyth (if that's spelt right!), a couple in Hereford and one in the US. Prices vary...it depends where you go. All of the places I've been to have been clean (well, I'm guessing so...). For the one on the back of my neck the tattooist slipped and stabbed himself in the thumb and I had to ask him to change the needle. Watch for things like that. I didn't go back there again!!!!
xxx :)
Weasley
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby rufio89 » Wed May 20, 2009 9:41 am

Oooh when do you go weasley??

xx
rufio89
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Weasley » Wed May 20, 2009 9:48 am

I go on the 22nd June. I'm soooo excited but it doesn't seem real. I'm going to miss my parents and my friends sooooo much (not my job though!)
xxx :)
Weasley
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby m_m » Wed May 20, 2009 10:32 am

Weasley wrote:I go on the 22nd June. I'm soooo excited but it doesn't seem real. I'm going to miss my parents and my friends sooooo much (not my job though!)

Yay! :D

Well, I am hopefully going for a consultation on Sunday! My boyfriend thinks I am rushing into it but I don't think so, I am an impatient person, lol. I don't think he wants me to get it done because he is a hypochondriac and thinks that I am going to somehow catch HIV or hepatitis or something :roll:

x
m_m
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby rufio89 » Wed May 20, 2009 10:36 am

I am going to somehow catch HIV or hepatitis or something

I think those places are pretty rare. They're supposed to carry a certificate or something for the machinery to prove it's sterile, but I cant remember what it's called. But look it up and then if your boyfriend is stressing he can make sure they have that.
rufio89
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby earthchild » Wed May 20, 2009 10:39 am

oops double posted ... sorry
Last edited by earthchild on Wed May 20, 2009 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Truth
Truth is a sweet nectar from an honest fruitful heart,
from the fruit come seeds and
from the seeds you have a harvest full of dreams.

(native american proverb)
earthchild
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Next

Return to Chit Chat