Paris...

This area is for general aimless chit chat.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Re: Paris...

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Wed May 27, 2009 8:49 am

captain_flynn wrote:Of course they'd give an indefinite delay. If they gave 2hrs and then had to extend it the passengers would only say 'OH MY GOD, AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!' and get all stressy. Indefinite delay means it could be 5mins, could be 5hrs or it could be 10hrs.. If its an aircraft problem they may need to fly another plane in, but they'd need to bring in standby crew for it too and all that takes time, then getting 2 departure/arrival slots.. you can't really estimate some delays

But they didn't announce it and the information desk was empty as usual. If they'd put an announcement over saying it's delayed then that would have been ok; it was more the fact it said indefinate delay and then kaput everyone disappeared and no announcement for AGES.

captain_flynn wrote:Yeah I wasnt disputing the fact that ground personnel should of announced it a few times, but sometimes they dont have direct info regarding why the delay has occured, thats all I was saying. Watch airline and see how some people react regarding a delayed flight due to fog or snow or an aircraft gone tech. I've seen it myself in airports too. Very strange.

I don't think anyone was interested in why it was delayed; I just think with the whole fiasco people would have appreciated being told it was delayed. To me it doesn't matter why it's delayed I'd just like to know it is or isn't.

I often fly to Aberdeen with work and the flights are 45mins in total; they quite often delay their last flight; the departure lounge is at the opposite end of the airport to where they say it will be...It's mostly men who get this flight. The delays are normally only 1hr at most and all the men come along screaming about the delay and f-ing and blinding - There is no need for it; it's not the poor woman checking the tickets fault!!! The men who winge on the flight really P me off. It's because they are drunk, had to walk to the other end of the airport and be delayed in a lounge where it's free drinks/biscuits/sweets/TV and papers....it's really not that much of an inconvenience. I don't mind - I get paid for sitting in the airport :).
A hug is a great gift, one size fits all.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby captainf » Wed May 27, 2009 11:50 pm

I understand what you're saying about airport staff, however I can't really comment on it. I thought you said in a previous post they announced the delay once when only a few people were around but I think I misread it as you just said they didnt announce it. Sorry about that. Regarding to it being down as an indefinite delay, just means they dont know how long the delay will last for possibly the various reasons I stated previously. I understand that an indefinite delay can annoy you because you dont know how long you will wait, but if they said 2hrs and then it was 3 or 4hrs the passengers would get annoyed so an indefinite delay just basically means 'we dont know how long, but prepare yourself for a long wait just incase'

I can almost gurantee a number of the passengers that day wanted to know why it was delayed, they always do. First they wanna know how long, then why.

Yeah its a shame when people treat the ground and flight crew in that sort of manner, afterall, to be fair, air passengers are quite spoiled. If you've ever been on an 11hr 30mins coach trip with National Express then you'll know what I mean ;)
Remember how the runway lights looked one night long ago when you were lost and found your way, and how-you still dont know?
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Thu May 28, 2009 8:21 am

captain_flynn wrote:I can almost gurantee a number of the passengers that day wanted to know why it was delayed, they always do. First they wanna know how long, then why.

The nice pilots generally say why it was delayed once you are on the plane...I'm not normally bothered why; I'd just like to be kept informed.

captain_flynn wrote:Regarding to it being down as an indefinite delay, just means they dont know how long the delay will last for possibly the various reasons I stated previously. I understand that an indefinite delay can annoy you because you dont know how long you will wait, but if they said 2hrs and then it was 3 or 4hrs the passengers would get annoyed so an indefinite delay just basically means 'we dont know how long, but prepare yourself for a long wait just incase'

I know that now lol, I didn't at the time, normally our airport just say "delayed" then after ages they give some estimate of time. They have new fancy things which count down the minutes to the individual flights...some of the screens don't keep up with the other ones; however they anounce the time to go to the departure gate - it normally gets to 3 minutes and waits there for about 10-20mins before announcing it - it seems pointless to me! I don't really mind what they do so long as I get on the plane and get delivered safely.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby captainf » Thu May 28, 2009 10:52 pm

Indeed the pilot's give a reason but alot passengers cant wait that long.

I'm just curious, have you ever been on a plane that has performed a 'go around' ? (Where the plane is on final approach but aborts landing) I'm just asking as I wondered what it feels like from a passengers perspective.
Remember how the runway lights looked one night long ago when you were lost and found your way, and how-you still dont know?
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Fri May 29, 2009 8:48 am

captain_flynn wrote:I'm just curious, have you ever been on a plane that has performed a 'go around' ? (Where the plane is on final approach but aborts landing) I'm just asking as I wondered what it feels like from a passengers perspective

I haven't. I think if I was, if I was GOING on holiday then I'd be slightly annoyed I suppose (not much, I'm fairly easy going and they normally only do things for safety reasons and not for the sake of it); if I was coming home then I wouldn't mind. My dad and bf hate flying (especially take off and landing) so if we were landing and then they "stopped" for whatever reason, I'd be more annoyed at them than the plane. My dad claims flying isn't natrual...then I point out neither is driving.

Coming back from Aberdeen once, we were on the late flight (it's around 7.50-8pm) - We normally go to Aberdeen in a day (so it's a 5am start), the plane was delayed (only something like 30-45mins - not long anyway)...then when we got on the plane after RUDE passengers shouting at the ground staff (it's a business flight - so not very business polite; and bearing in mind most people get the first and last flight so most people are tired as well, so it doesn't give certain people the excuse to shout), the pilot announced we'd be taking a longer route back (GRR) because "the RAF are practicing so have closed off the North Sea for training purposes".
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby RagDoll » Fri May 29, 2009 10:37 am

captain_flynn wrote:I'm just curious, have you ever been on a plane that has performed a 'go around' ? (Where the plane is on final approach but aborts landing) I'm just asking as I wondered what it feels like from a passengers perspective.

It's like you've never been a passenger before lol
We don’t see things the way they are; we see things the way we are
RagDoll
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Fri May 29, 2009 11:48 am

RagDoll wrote:
captain_flynn wrote:I'm just curious, have you ever been on a plane that has performed a 'go around' ? (Where the plane is on final approach but aborts landing) I'm just asking as I wondered what it feels like from a passengers perspective.

It's like you've never been a passenger before lol

lol the point is once you do something, i.e. flying, you can't necessarily experience it as a "passenger" afterwards. My bf did music at college and if he hears a band or something, he'll say "the drums are out" and it's annoying because he picks holes in everything to do with music instead of plain enjoying it.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby RagDoll » Fri May 29, 2009 11:55 am

dipsydoodlenoodle wrote:lol the point is once you do something, i.e. flying, you can't necessarily experience it as a "passenger" afterwards. My bf did music at college and if he hears a band or something, he'll say "the drums are out" and it's annoying because he picks holes in everything to do with music instead of plain enjoying it.

Yeh, I get what you mean. I just think in this particular instance it's kinda easy to imagine it from a passengers point of view, we've all be passengers at some point, so even if you're a high-flying pilot now it's fairly easy to imagine it'd be an un-nerving experience.
RagDoll
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Fri May 29, 2009 12:03 pm

Maybe Captain Flynn hasn't ever flown as a passenger and just as a pilot (you know I have such an issue spelling pilot).
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby RagDoll » Fri May 29, 2009 12:10 pm

Hmmmm! Even if you hadn't I think it's obviously that as a passenger it'd be a little scary if the plane went into land, then aborted it
RagDoll
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Fri May 29, 2009 1:43 pm

RagDoll wrote:Hmmmm! Even if you hadn't I think it's obviously that as a passenger it'd be a little scary if the plane went into land, then aborted it

Perhaps, although I always assumed they did it becasue of weather or maybe a "more important" plane has signaled in they need to land, maybe another plane has a medical casualty on board, traffic control may be too snowed under or a mysterious plane may have wondered into their air space...many things..

I don't think they specifically go in to land...i.e. start decent and then fly up again; they just circle over head.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby captainf » Fri May 29, 2009 2:03 pm

2 points there have been made correct. I havent been a passenger, only pilot. Also, once you've trained to do something you can't really understand it from a passengers point of view unless they explain it. I've practiced go arounds before but never had to actually do one for a real reason yet. I only thought i'd ask the question because I was looking at heathrows webcam the other day and noticed from 4pm to 7pm there was 3 go arounds and wondered how passengers felt when they happen.

Go arounds occure when the runway is obstructed - either birds on the runway so pilot decides to go around, other aircraft slow to vacate, pilot not happy with the approach (windy, or unstable - like not established on the glideslope well) I watched a plane come in to heathrow a few months ago with hydraulic problems, on landing they lost alot of hydraulic fluid, one plane landed after them and reported the fluid (as did the fire crew) and then the next 2 planes went around and the runway closed for 10mins for cleaning and then reopened again.

Normally the plane will go around, be vectored back to the approach and land (all in all about 15mins)

Yeah the military can take over areas of airspace for exercise. Its not that uncommon.
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Fri May 29, 2009 2:57 pm

captain_flynn wrote:Yeah the military can take over areas of airspace for exercise. Its not that uncommon.

Just inconsiderate of them hehe.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby captainf » Fri May 29, 2009 3:09 pm

haha indeed ;) They use alot of Scotland and Wales for low level flying.
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Fri May 29, 2009 3:12 pm

captain_flynn wrote:haha indeed ;) They use alot of Scotland and Wales for low level flying.

for low level flying over the mountains? (I'm joking by the way)

oooh we have an ice cream van outside; half the office just disappeared.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

PreviousNext

Return to Chit Chat