Paris...

This area is for general aimless chit chat.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Re: Paris...

Postby captainf » Fri May 29, 2009 3:16 pm

They fly below mountain level for experience when in places like Afghanistan etc ;) I knew an Ex raf navigator when I lived in Cornwall and he showed me a video of their low flying sorties in tornados. Absolutely nuts flying at about 20ft above the sea/ground in formation at 500mph! :o

haha I bet peecee is on her way for the ice cream ;)
Remember how the runway lights looked one night long ago when you were lost and found your way, and how-you still dont know?
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Fri May 29, 2009 3:19 pm

*is shocked* I mentioned the dreaded Ice cream word, and I've not been told off for it yet hehehe
A hug is a great gift, one size fits all.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby captainf » Fri May 29, 2009 3:20 pm

Tsk tsk, naughty Dipsy ;)
Remember how the runway lights looked one night long ago when you were lost and found your way, and how-you still dont know?
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Fri May 29, 2009 3:23 pm

I know :o
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby Bel Bel » Fri May 29, 2009 3:57 pm

birds on the runway causes a go around - won't the birds just move when a plane comes hurtling towards them like when my car goes hurtling towards one in the road :-?
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby captainf » Fri May 29, 2009 4:09 pm

Have a look at this video, and if you can, listen to it aswell..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KhZwsYtNDE

Thats what a bird strike looks like. ;)

You can initiate a go around due to alot of bird activity on the runway. Sometimes birds can get out of the way but they are abit spontaneous with movement. I was coming in one day and a load of sea gulls shot up infront of me and kept turning left and right and couldnt make up their mind which way to go - its that point where they become dangerous. They can cause engine failure, which is okay if its one engine out on a twin engine plane, but in a single engine plane you become a glider. I've had 3 situations off the top of my head where ive come close to birds.

Also remember, planes go faster than your car so the birds reaction has to be faster with a plane.
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby LME79 » Sun May 31, 2009 1:14 am

So despite all the upheaval, would you recommend Paris, rufio? I have to say I've never been tempted but loads of people tell me that I should go! I went with my school back in the olden days and I wasn't that into it (much prefer Rome and Barcelona) but I s'pose it might have changed now ... plus I'm obviously a LOT older! :P
I want to be..a tree..
LME79

Postby rufio89 » Sun May 31, 2009 3:17 pm

I liked Paris, I liked all the sights etc, but tbh it's just another city... take away the eiffel tower and it's nothing special. But it was nice, and i had a lovely time.
rufio89
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby spacegirl » Sun May 31, 2009 4:01 pm

the tourist paris can be pretty ridiculous but paris is a beautiful city with a lot of charm and culture, each arrondissement (area, there are 20 of them) has a completely different vibe, for example the latin quarter with notre dame is the student quarter & is really laid back with loads of really good bars and restaurants, the marais is very fashionable and bohemian with brilliant vintage shops, montmartre is very parisian with artists out on the streets and has some really nice little french streets with cobblestones and really good traditional french restaurants as opposed to tourist rubbish... there is also always something on in paris, whether it's a festival or art exhibitions or whatever, and the nightlife's great (if not quite expensive) rome and barcelona are beautiful cities but paris is definitely up there with them. i suppose you have to know what you're lookng for to avoid getting sucked into all the tourist traps.
I don't know if i'd say "it's just another city", the architecture is all protected and the old buildings that you see everywhere (haussmannien buildings) date back to 1850. Even all of the bridges have history behind them and the museums are amazing, and something for everyone. I suppose you have to know what to look for but the eiffel tower is by no means anywhere near the most impressive thing in paris.
not if you were the last dandy on earth
spacegirl
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby LME79 » Sun May 31, 2009 7:26 pm

Yeah, I think I'll go back now I'm about 12 years older ... I've been to Rome and Barcelona within the last couple of years as a grown up and am a lot more into the history and architecture of places. Plus when you go on school trips you tend to stick to a set itinary and can't explore on your own, which is what I love doing now :)
I want to be..a tree..
LME79

Postby captainf » Sun May 31, 2009 8:02 pm

Nice to see your tourism marketing skills shine through, Spacegirl ;) :P
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:03 am

I really liked Paris. We were only there for a couple of days but I really enjoyed it - I wouldn't go back - PURELY for the fact I'd seen everything I wanted to see...I would be more than happy to go back though.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby rufio89 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:14 am

I wouldn't go back - PURELY for the fact I'd seen everything I wanted to see...I would be more than happy to go back though.

eh?
rufio89
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby RagDoll » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:30 am

I went with my parents when I was 13-14ish and I didn't really appreciate it then because of my age. I went to so many places when I was a kid that I didn't really like because I didn't appreciate architecture, history etc. etc. but I would love to go back to them as an adult. Paris is one of those places. It's just so expensive though.
We don’t see things the way they are; we see things the way we are
RagDoll
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:36 am

What I meant Ruth was, I would like to go back; but I wouldn't purely because I saw everything I wanted to. I don't see the "need" to go back.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

PreviousNext

Return to Chit Chat