Racism

This area is for general aimless chit chat.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Racism

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:45 am

OMG last night when I was sitting at the bus stop last night this drunk guy in his 30-40s was having a go at a black woman, I didn't see how it started but I seemed like he'd made a pass at her and she'd rejected it....that was until she stood at the bus stop and 2 black guys walked past...the drunk man walked up to them and said "I think you should f off back" the black guys were polite and said "sorry I didn't hear that" and off the drunk man went on his rant, I mean he was shouting at them and it's not like they'd done anything to provoke it. I just sat at the bus stop and didn't say anything; I was selfish and thought the drunk guy would probably hit me or something...I feel guilty about it because I didn't step in to say anything. I don't think racism should be tolerated. We have a large jewish commounity in one end of the area, muslims and asians in the other and quite a few blacks scattered around everywhere. I just felt so guilty as the "white girl" just watching. Just because someone is a different skin colour doesn't mean they are bad, it doesn't mean they are tax dodgers...I know a lot of nigerian men (wink wink) who contribute more to the economy and pay more taxes than I'm sure Mr. Unepmloyed drunk Racist, they pay his benefits for gods sake and he's having a go at them. Some of them were born here, their parents moved...it's highly unfair that it's taken out on them.

My second course at university was aimed at none europeans, so I have a LOAD of asian, and African friends - personally I don't care what my friends look like, so long as they are nice...I don't care about their hair colour, their eye colour, their gender, their ethnicity or their sexuality. I remember walking through uni once with the nigerian men on my course, there was about 5 or 6 of them and me and I tell you the stares we got then was bad enough.

I HATE IT!
A hug is a great gift, one size fits all.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Re: Racism

Postby rufio89 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:51 am

I hate it too dipsy, it makes me REALLY cross, and like you I always end up feeling guilty because I mostly dont say anything. I posted a while ago because the people at work are quite racist, they've not said anything for a while, but it makes me really uncomfortable I feel really sick when they say anything.
rufio89
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:07 am

There is just no need for it.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby RagDoll » Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:43 pm

I agree there's no need for it. Some people are so narrow-minded and bigoted!

We live in an area where there are a lot of Asian people and they generally keep themselves to themselves, it's the white people (a lot of whom don't work) that cause all the problems. Our delightful neighbour that lives opposite us was mouthing off at someone at midnight the other day (keeping us awake - joy) and referred to someone as a "packy so-and-so". It's shocking.

It really is a culture shock going from living in a nice area with my parents, to living in a not-so-nice area with my boyfriend!!
We don’t see things the way they are; we see things the way we are
RagDoll
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby captainf » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:03 pm

Thing is though is that racism is everywhere. I was talking to my asian friend once and he said 'me and my family never get asian builders in they are useless, we have white builders because they are better and actually work' Is that racist? I think to a degree racism is what you make it.
Remember how the runway lights looked one night long ago when you were lost and found your way, and how-you still dont know?
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:39 am

captain_flynn wrote:Thing is though is that racism is everywhere. I was talking to my asian friend once and he said 'me and my family never get asian builders in they are useless, we have white builders because they are better and actually work' Is that racist? I[url]think to a degree racism is what you make it[/url].

The point is someone from a minority group can hurl abuse at someone else and it's acceptable because they are the minority, the people from the majority groups can't say anything to those in the minority.

When I did engineering at uni - I was in the minority; because I was a girl and because I was white; I did a masters part time over 2 years; first year there was ONE white person on the course full time; and same for second year. We also had 2 greeks on the course - they were in the minority and they were just damn rude most of the time; our department had a lot of courses on ship building and there were a load of greeks did those courses and they were all really nice.

One of the greek guys on my course was that rude that when I was put in a group with him, there was 4 or 5 of us; the 3 other guys listened to my opinion and I'd made a good point; the greek lad took a major dislike to my opinion (I was right but that is beside the point really), he didn't like the fact the rest of the group agreed with me and he stormed off out of the lecture...a few months later he was stuck on doing some re-sit exam...he phoned me and asked "where I could meet him to give him all of my notes" - RUDE - I wasn't asked if it was ok or would I mind. Shock horror I didn't meet him. He also asked for me to go to uni and help him with some re-sit coursework...You know if he'd been remotely nice during the year I wouldn't have minded helping him at all.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby Jo » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:42 pm

Just want to say, if you hate racism don't forget to vote today!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhbR3wuYDgw
Jo
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:44 pm

Jo wrote:Just want to say, if you hate racism don't forget to vote today!!!

I postal voted during the week :)
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby Jo » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:45 pm

dipsydoodlenoodle wrote:I postal voted during the week :)

Yay :)

I'm voting when I get back tonight.
Jo
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby Pwif » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:48 pm

And don't forget that people who hurl racist comments at others are just small-minded cowardly specimens who have not got anything interesting going on in their own lives, so have to create their own bit of 'excitement'. They are just totally pathetic. :evil:
Live life to the full
Pwif
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby Bel Bel » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:51 pm

i did my by post

keep out BNP, it's dodgy times like these in politics these kind of people can get voted for, not because people really want them but they want to show the usual parties thier not happy

If none of the standard parties appeal their are always the green party and the independent party
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:52 pm

Bel Bel wrote:If none of the standard parties appeal their are always the green party and the independent party

Or an eeny meenie miny mo..
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby Weasley » Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:35 pm

I always used to get told to get back to my own country at school when my accent was strong. I was actually working the other day and was having a moan (as you do) to myself about petrol prices going up and these MP's claiming here, there and everywhere when one of my work colleagues walked past and commented "but you're not even British!". I don't even think he was joking either. It's just comments like that that are completely uncalled for!!!!
xxx :)
Weasley
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby RagDoll » Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:29 pm

Yeh, you live here and you're still entitled to your opinion. Some people are just plain morons!
We don’t see things the way they are; we see things the way we are
RagDoll
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:38 am

RagDoll wrote:Yeh, you live here and you're still entitled to your opinion. Some people are just plain morons!

It doesn't matter what nationality you are, you live here, you work here...you are entitled to an opinion.

I have a friend from school from South Africa; my bf works with 3 or 4 lads from South Africa and he's all "big" now because he has "foreign" friends...he forgets my friend is from SA as well, I work with a French man and an Australian girl but I don't "brag" about my diverse friends...I don't think it matters who your friends are or where they are from...point is they are your friends.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Next

Return to Chit Chat