Elevator - mode of transport?

This area is for general aimless chit chat.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Elevator - mode of transport?

Postby captainf » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:35 pm

I was reading a topic on an aviation forum about the recent air france accident. It just had a bunch of plane spotters who know nothing throwing around their theories on the accident. Anyway, one of them stated that flying is the second safest form of transport, coming second to the elevator.. so this got me thinking, is an elevator really a form of transport? I mean if so, I guess that makes stairs, shoes and even the path a form of transport too... :-k
Remember how the runway lights looked one night long ago when you were lost and found your way, and how-you still dont know?
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Re: Elevator - mode of transport?

Postby kerrie24 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:10 pm

I guess you could call it that now you come to mention it,it gets you from one place to another after all.But if you asked me to write down a list of transport I dont think I would of put that on.
Im a bit confused about this air france thing.I dont really watch the news so only heard bits.Have they still not found the plane?Do you have a theory on what might of happened capt flynn?
kerrie24
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby mattmxl » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:28 pm

I suppose you could argue that stairs are an aid to transport because they allow humans to elevate, but I'd still class it as human movement as you'd still have to walk up the stairs. I would say that an elevator is an acceptable mode of transport as althoug it only covers an incredibly short distance compared to airliners, it's mecanical and involved no human exertion to move form one place to another.

The last theory I heard about the plane was that it was struck by lightning over the ocean which caused it to crash, but piolts have said that this alone rarely causes airliners to fall out of the sky like that. The black box recorder, which will hold the answers to how it crashed, they reckon is at the bottom of the ocean somewhere, so there'll be very little chance of finding that.
mattmxl
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby kerrie24 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:08 am

Im a bit scared now as Im flying in 4 weeks time!I know its still one of the safest forms of transport and this one crash doesnt mean it would happen to me but its close to home,plus the way nobody even knows what happened it simply dissapeared from the sky.
kerrie24
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:15 am

kerrie24 wrote: Im flying in 4 weeks time!I

Me too, 4 weeks today! WOOHOO!

They have found debris in the sea, they were sending a ship out yesterday to try and recover as much as they could. The news did say the last they heard was they had an electrical fault.

I think flying is safe; it's just when it goes wrong that it is splashed over the news because there are generallt 200+ people on and it's a mass disaster. If you think about how many flights there are a day and how many go wrong...the number has to be tiny in comparisson.

I don't think elevators are a form of transport; are lifts classed as transport, what about stair lifts? I think it's taking it "too far" to call it a transport.
A hug is a great gift, one size fits all.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby Bel Bel » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:55 am

Well the wikipeadia definition of transport is

Transport or transportation is the movement of people and goods from one location to another. Transport is performed by various modes, such as air, rail, road, water, cable, pipeline and space. The field can be divided into infrastructure, vehicles, and operations.

However I know what you mean we tend to think of transport as something that will get us further than a few florrs, in fact something that will take us horizontally rather than to a vertical destination

Not to scare anyone but the being in a car is statistically much much more dangerous than getting on a plane but we all do that with much less fear if any at all
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:58 am

Bel Bel wrote:Not to scare anyone but the being in a car is statistically much much more dangerous than getting on a plane but we all do that with much less fear if any at all

I keep telling my dad that!
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby kerrie24 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:37 am

dipsydoodlenoodle wrote:Me too, 4 weeks today! WOOHOO!

Mines the 1st july.
I know statistically its more dangerous in a car but its just you have more chance of escaping alive from a car dont you.Im trying not to let it bother me cos I want to enjoy my holiday and I dont want the kids to be scared.
Im just confused as to how the pilot didnt have time to radio for help or anything? Whatever happened must of been quick.
[quote="mattmxl"]The last theory I heard about the plane was that it was struck by lightning [/quote
I thought planes were often struck by lightening but it didnt affect them?
kerrie24
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:25 pm

2nd July for me. Where are you going Kerrie?

Planes do often get struck by lightening however the last reports were of an electrical fault, maybe they reported that and didn't have time to report any serious trouble as all power had gone?
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby kerrie24 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:42 pm

We`re headed to Menorca. cant wait!
dipsydoodlenoodle wrote:didn't have time to report any serious trouble as all power had gone?

I suppose if I was going to crash Id rather it happened quickly so I didnt have time to stress about it.
kerrie24
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:43 pm

kerrie24 wrote:I suppose if I was going to crash Id rather it happened quickly so I didnt have time to stress about it.

Me too.

I hope you have a great time Kerrie. My parents are off to Menorca (I think) but not until September.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby kerrie24 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:45 pm

Thanks,hope you have fun too.
We went in may last year and it rained till 2 days before we left :(
kerrie24
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby Bel Bel » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:47 pm

menorca is lovely we went for 5 days last september, my daughter is going ther for her 18th birthday with her mates
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:51 pm

kerrie24 wrote:We went in may last year and it rained till 2 days before we left :(

Thats unfortunate. Fortunately I've always missed bad weather (except once - we went to Canada to see my uncle and it rained for 3 weeks - it was their wettest summer for 40 years).

We went to Portugal once and we'd been told that it had been raining and thundering before we got there (bf's parents already there); we landed and the runway had loads of puddles on it; I think we went for 8 days, the weather was perfect and the last day clouded over a little bit, plus the day we left it was all grey and dull looking); last year we went to Majorca we were there for a week, my parents were there for 2 weeks, the last day we were there is was cloudy and dull, still warm...the next few days weren't very nice and then it was ok again. Fingers crossed because everytime I speak I always jinx myself.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby kerrie24 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:55 pm

Well we have been twice and although the first time it never rained,it was very windy and we had to wear jackets.Thats why we chose july this time,Im just keeping my fingers crossed it wont be too hot for the kids.
kerrie24
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Next

Return to Chit Chat