Elevator - mode of transport?

This area is for general aimless chit chat.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Re: Elevator - mode of transport?

Postby captainf » Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:54 pm

Fair point, they can be, but flying is still safer than driving your car. I've been flying for 6yrs and driving for two and half and i've had more issues with drivers (both when im driving and not driving) than i've ever had flying.. to add to it i've never had anyone cut me up on the taxiway nor in the air, but its happened plenty of times to me driving. Lets see, never seen anyone speeding in a plane, but seen it plenty of times on the road.. Oh and in addition, dont think we can do stupid stuff in the air neither, its all on radar. Flying is a better discipline than the road, the people are more disciplined and when the flights delayed they dont freak and start breaking laws to get there on time, unlike alot of drivers.

With learning to drive, you're sent for your test once you're percieved as sufficient enough to drive, get abit lucky on your driving test and pass.. rules then go out the window unless a police car is in the vacinity.. flying consists of getting your PPL (7 ground exams, and a flying test, in addition 45hrs flying must be completed 10 of which must be solo) then you do your ATPL exams (14 of them, apparently harder than a degree) and after that you do your CPL + tests and then your instructors rating (you need 150hrs to start it and 200hrs to start teaching) and then your IR (I seem to recall thats around 7 - 10 ground exams) You can't touch an airliner until you've got a minimum of 1500hrs and even then its unlikely.. and once you do, you're taken for your type rating, put through more ground and flying tests and then you're put on line where you fly passengers around with a Captain and although you're qualified as a first officer (co pilot) you're still under supervision for a temporary period..

Then theres those tech guys on the ground who fix planes, they have to meet the neccessary guidelines set out by the CAA and JAA for maintenance standards - failure to do so can lead to them going to prison for causing people to die..

So you see, flying is much safer because the training is alot harder, you have to be quite a character to stick at it and have maturity.. at 17 you can get your car drivers licence and act like an idiot. On the road there are plenty of them.

I just looked up info on current developments of the AF accident and apparently its 29 bodies now. Atleast some people will be getting their loved ones back in some way.

I'm surprised the whole tail is in tact. That makes me wonder how it crashed afterall.
Remember how the runway lights looked one night long ago when you were lost and found your way, and how-you still dont know?
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:09 pm

With driving you also get busses who think they own the road, they pull out and then indicate, or in my case drive into your car (whilst cutting over 3 lanes of traffic) and then shout at the innocent driver (me). Plus you get some idiots on motorbikes who weave between traffic AND where I drive on a morning to work, it's one lane each way - the bit closest to the roundabout is 2 lanes, the drivers in the other direction drive on MY side of the road to get into the second roundabout lane - I had to stop last week for TWO drivers to do this.
A hug is a great gift, one size fits all.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby captainf » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:18 pm

Yeah some drivers are bad. You should see Milton Keynes (roundabout heaven thanks to the grid system - though I like the grid system) We have North/South facing roads (V roads) and East/West roads (H roads) and theres always accidents on them. Like I say due to the grid system each time the V's and H's cross eachother theres a roundabout (Look Milton Keynes up on google maps and you'll see what I mean) and as people dont take care theres often accidents, various places down the side of the V and H roads you'll see flowers and other remembrance stuff left where someone has lost their life.

Nonetheless though I like MK, it has a good road system if people actually used it properly, and has alot of nice lakes and a canal too.
Remember how the runway lights looked one night long ago when you were lost and found your way, and how-you still dont know?
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:01 am

I suppose I should mention taxi drivers too ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

We have a lot of "merge roads" ... two main roads (2 lanes each) then cross then continue in the opposite direction. Most people on the left main road cross to the right main road and vice versa at the very short "merge" bit. It's very rare to be honest that people continue on the main road they were on. Unfortunately we have a load of these - I've not seen an accident on the worst two actually. Just one of the large, slower, wider, more well lit, easier to compensate merge roads and oh yes that was me and the stupid bus.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby Weasley » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:40 am

This recent plane crash really helps with my ultimate fear of flying. I'm flying long haul a week on Monday and I'm more nervous now than I have ever been!!!!! Argh! :o
xxx :)
Weasley
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:23 am

Is this when you go back to America :)?

My dad and 5 friends, my parents friends and extended family, my boss and his family and another man and his wife I work with are all flying this Saturday (different holidays I may add; although my parents friends and my boss are going to the same place - they don't know each other hehe).
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby rufio89 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:40 am

oh my gosh Weasley I forgot about that, when do you go??
rufio89
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:59 am

rufio89 wrote:oh my gosh Weasley I forgot about that, when do you go??

Weasley wrote:I'm flying long haul a week on Monday and I'm more nervous now than I have ever been!!!!! Argh!
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby rufio89 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:09 am

dipsydoodlenoodle wrote:
rufio89 wrote:oh my gosh Weasley I forgot about that, when do you go??

Weasley wrote:I'm flying long haul a week on Monday and I'm more nervous now than I have ever been!!!!! Argh!

:oops:
rufio89
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:14 am

At Ruth :roll:
Last edited by dipsydoodlenoodle on Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby Weasley » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:29 pm

Hehe oh that's okay guys, I don't think my own parents are fully 100% sure when I go back! Yup, I'm back there again on Mon 22nd and I can't wait! I could do without the whole flying thing though. If it was physically possible, I'd suggest they built a tunnel across the ocean like they did to France.
xxx :)
Weasley
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:08 pm

Weasley wrote:I'd suggest they built a tunnel across the ocean like they did to France.

Imagine if they did; it would be a great idea.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby RagDoll » Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:11 pm

Haha, wouldn't it take forever to get there?!
We don’t see things the way they are; we see things the way we are
RagDoll
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:12 pm

It would probably take the same time as flying to be honest; imagine trying to walk it...Zzzz
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby captainf » Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:30 pm

Flying would still be quicker - planes travel about 500 - 550 miles an hour, with additional head or tail wind which makes abit of a difference too.

Weasley, do you have any questions about flying before you go? Just thought it might ease your fear abit.
Which airline are you flying with?
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

PreviousNext

Return to Chit Chat