Local Elections - VOTE VOTE VOTE!

This area is for general aimless chit chat.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Re: Local Elections - VOTE VOTE VOTE!

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:37 am

I know. My bf's gran is Portuguese, lives in Portugal but comes here for a few months a year and she can use the NHS free. I don't blame her to be honest, it's just a shame it gets taken advantage of.
A hug is a great gift, one size fits all.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby Jo » Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:56 am

snail wrote:It always gives me such a kick to vote. I think of all the people (in this country, in the past, and in other countries, in the present) who never have that chance. I'll be in a good mood for the rest of the day now

That's exactly how I see it Snail! I really can't understand why someone wouldn't take advantage of their choice, even if there isn't much to choose from =D>
Jo
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby Jo » Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:05 am

A sobering reminder of what happens when people don't bother to vote - we now have a BNP seat on our County Council.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2009 ... ty-council
Jo
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby captainf » Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:36 am

Doesnt that just mean that people voted for the BNP candidate? In other words, people wanted the BNP candidate to get elected.

However, I have to say I really dont know anything about the BNP. What are their policies and why are they disliked? I think I saw one of their political party broadcasts inbetween the local and national news a few weeks ago.. they seemed like they were for Britain and British people? Is that a bad thing?

Like I say, I dont know anything about them so im asking questions.
Remember how the runway lights looked one night long ago when you were lost and found your way, and how-you still dont know?
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby LME79 » Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:56 am

They *claim* they're for Britain and British people but it's disguised racism - they can't exactly put that on their manifesto, though, so they spout things like "BRITISH JOBS FOR BRITISH PEOPLE". What they're too thick to realise is that immigration actually helps the British economy. A lot of British people that were unemployed before the recession chose to be like that, it was nothing to do with "people coming over here and stealing our jobs". There was an undercover documentary about them a few years back and some of the key members had done disgusting things like shoot dog excrement through Indian restaurants. Absolutely awful.

A BNP vote, in my opinion, is more likely to be a protest vote against Tories and Labour, though I really really hope most of the public have more sense than that.
I want to be..a tree..
LME79

Postby captainf » Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:46 am

Many thanks for the reply. I guess that could mean that there are some genuine members in there and some troublemakers. I cannot judge as i've never met a BNP member nor have I heard much about them.
Although I disagree that alot of the unemployed before the recession chose to be like that, I know I didnt. Most likely a small minority chose to be.
I do kinda think in a way the UK has an immigration problem and has a reputation of letting anyone in. Even the passengers + hijackers on a hijacked Afghan B727 that diverted to the UK a few years ago applied for asylum here (Ariana Afghan airlines never even had a service to the UK at the time)
But to balance this out, most of my friends from school are foreign, so I dont have a problem with foreigners here or anything.
Remember how the runway lights looked one night long ago when you were lost and found your way, and how-you still dont know?
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby kerrie24 » Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:38 am

From my point of veiw a lot of people around where I live did choose not to work and have continued to live on benefits for years,it has only been recently when the job centres have cracked down and started forcing them to go on courses to get back to work,that they now decide they would rather find a job.So they are blaming the foriegners as an excuse,when in reality if they werent getting hassled for sitting at home all day,then they would continue to do so.
It is so very hard at the moment to find jobs because of so many places closing when a new place opens there are too many applicants for each job.
kerrie24
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby Jo » Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:01 am

Thinking of locking this now that the elections are over - I'm breaking my own site rules by going on about politics! :lol:
Jo
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby captainf » Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:47 pm

Thing is, kerrie24, not every unemployed person is like that, I stated that in my post above yours before. Theres no point generalising it as not everyone is like that. I agree, some people are like that, however I know more unemployed people who want to work than unemployed people who dont.
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby kerrie24 » Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:15 pm

I didnt generalise that ALL unemployed people are not wanting to work,what I said was in my opinion,and in my area which as far as I know,you dont live in, a lot of the people would rather sit on their bums.I cant generalise everyone as I dont know what goes on throughout the rest of the country and I am sure there are a lot of people desperate for a job.I was simply agreeing with lilmissespana when she said that people who were unemployed already feel the need to use immigration as an excuse.
kerrie24
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby captainf » Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:12 pm

Oh right, I dont know where you live but if its London, Cornwall or MK then theres a possibility I may of lived near you at some point. :P

I can see both sides of the arguement really. Immigrants do come over and take alot of the jobs available, when we do have alot of our own people out of work.. at the same time the foreigners are good at what they do, but then so is the british public.. in addition its probably partly down to cost saving that alot of UK companies prefer to employ foreign workers.

Obviously though thats a touchy subject and its easy to cause offence in such discussion.

Rest assured though, out of many of the people I know who dont work, only 1 of them doesnt want a job, the rest of them do, and none of them have blamed the immigrants :)
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby peecee » Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:35 pm

Thing is, we all know people of all nations in the UK who will rip us, the tax-payer off. We all know people who'd rather sit on their butts and draw dole than work, however many jobs there are out there. It's nothing to do with race or religion, it's to do with whether they're idle gits (or MPs!!!) or not.

Jo's, and other PPers' point, is that BNP are a bunch of racist, narrow-minded thugs who can't stand anybody different, and who would be delighted to use violence to get rid of them. And when they've done that, they'll find someone else to beat up. They ARE the newest generation of Nazis.

According to Jo's wishes, I'm going to lock this thread because the elections are over - if we want to post about people spongeing off us, I'd be very happy to see a new thread devoted to that, because we've all got lots to say about it!

On your marks - get set - GO!!! :P

xxxxxxxxxxxx
Shine your light and let the whole world see.
peecee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Chit Chat