Speed limits

This area is for general aimless chit chat.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Speed limits

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:18 am

Does anyone actually stick to them?

I got overtaken by two cars this morning in a 30 zone, when I was doing 30 and somehow I'm in the wrong! They've just put speed camera signs up and it's not a long road so I don't mind driving slowly up it as I don't want to be caught speeding.
A hug is a great gift, one size fits all.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Re: Speed limits

Postby RagDoll » Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:08 am

To be honest I don't stick to them unless I know there's speed cameras about, but equally I don't go racing around the place. I have to admit that 30mph feels incredibly slow when you've been doing it for a while, but I wouldn't do more than say 40mph in a built up area incase there are kids playing.

On motor-ways/dual-carriage ways I tend to do about 90mph.
We don’t see things the way they are; we see things the way we are
RagDoll
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:15 am

I got a speeding ticket a few years ago for doing 36 in a 30 zone. The 30 zone was in the middle of no where, a river on one side and a grave yard on the other side and it was going down the steapest hill and I was being overtaken doing that then. There were no fixed cameras and no signs. Now when I see signs I always slow down. Someone followed me so close once, I was doing 30 past a school (it's quite a bad road for speed cameras), when we got to the traffic lights at the end, the car behind which was follwoing me by about 2 inches then stuck his main beam lights on and blinded me, the only thing was he was in a range rover type car so he blinded me, rather than just flashing me.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby ILoveChristmas » Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:11 am

I tend to drive about 10mph over the speed limit in most cases.

Of course, if it's a very built up area where I couldn't see a child entering the road then i'd stick to 30mph, but in a wide open road i'd be unlikely to.

The thing about getting caught is that you're simply unlucky. There are very few people who drive at the speed limit and the Police know that full well. Even the local Police around my area don't do 30mph as it's fairly well accepted that you simply cannot stop people speeding. You're just unlucky if you get caught.

The last (and only) time I've been stopped I was doing 91mph on an empty motorway on a sunny Friday afternoon. The officer asked me if I had an excuse for that speed and I said no, it's a nice day and I want to get home. No lies, no fancy story, just the truth. I actually found that they appreciated that and let me on my way with my 3 points.
Christmas to a child is the first terrible proof that to travel hopefully is better than to arrive. - Stephen Fry.

The reason we struggle with insecurity is because we compare our behind-the-scenes with everyone else’s highlight reel. — Steve Furtick
ILoveChristmas
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:30 am

ILoveChristmas wrote:I actually found that they appreciated that and let me on my way with my 3 points.

I didn't get points :D

Northumbria police were trialing a new "event". The "event" was where you went to a lecture on road safety for 3 hours and you get no points - you don't get told off they just 'educate' you on the dangers of speeding.

I had the choice of £60 for 3 points, or £65 to attend the event and get no points.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby ILoveChristmas » Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:33 am

Yeah that's a great idea, I guess it shows in some ways that the Police understand that they'll never stop speeders by waving the big stick. By educating people about what can happen they might though.

Having said that, I got caught on a motorway so it's unlikely to be entirely my fault if I mow down a pedestrain and in any case they wouldn't fare much worse at 91 than at 70 lol.
Christmas to a child is the first terrible proof that to travel hopefully is better than to arrive. - Stephen Fry.

The reason we struggle with insecurity is because we compare our behind-the-scenes with everyone else’s highlight reel. — Steve Furtick
ILoveChristmas
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:35 am

The course was aimed at those just above the speed limit i.e for a 30mph zone, speeds of 33 -36 were alowed into the course; i.e. the "accidental speeders" rather than the deliberate speeders.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby RagDoll » Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:58 am

I find it all a bit ridiculous though, as unless you look at your speed every 5 seconds, it would be easy to unintentionally creep above 30 to say 33.
We don’t see things the way they are; we see things the way we are
RagDoll
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Bel Bel » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:22 pm

i speed selectively
Very built up areas with lots of kids and parked cars for them to come out from are the most importnat areas to go slow
We have a fair few wide roads where you can clearly see for a long distance ahead and on the grass and paths at the sides so you can safely hammer down those at 60 8-[
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby captainf » Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:22 pm

I always stick to the speed limit, if not slightly under it. As we spoke of in a different thread, I just take my discipline from flying and apply it to driving so im always aware of everything going on around me and i'm always thinking of safety first. I was always taught in flying to never fly anywhere that my mind wasnt 5mins before.. and the same goes for driving.

I take the outlook that the speed limits are there for a specific reason. Sadly most learn the reason either once they're dead or in court after running someone down.
Remember how the runway lights looked one night long ago when you were lost and found your way, and how-you still dont know?
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Return to Chit Chat