Tips for London

This area is for general aimless chit chat.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Re: Tips for London

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:17 pm

I think I only paid £5 for my tube ticket and we didn't have to pay for anything when we were there.
A hug is a great gift, one size fits all.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby Bel Bel » Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:29 pm

well the travel card is one payment and then use it all day long, it isn't a discount card - which if i am reading correctly oyster is!!!

If that is the case perhaps you need to do your sums on which one will work best for you
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby rufio89 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:34 pm

Oyster card is better - once you get to the cost of a travel card, it stops :) but you do have to buy the card for £3.
rufio89
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby babydee86 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:51 pm

liberalleague wrote:I'd definitely get an Oyster card, they're only a fiver

they are £3 and u just pop into either the tube station or bus garage...or even most newsagents sell them too. and then just top up....little tip for the tube, make sure you 'touch in AND touch out of each tube station you enter and leave when getting a tube) otherwise they will charge you full wack for the journey.' i don't think there is such thing as a 'vistors oyster card'

im a londoner and love love love it here!! leicester square is where i go for nights out, i go to sound, ruby blue and zoo bar but not sure if clubbing is ur thing,
i also love history so go to alot of museums, for the britsh museum get off the tube at tottenham court rd, there is the imperial war museum (has a really cool and VERY realistic ww2 trench) get off the tube at lambeth....there is also the Vctoria and albert museum....has an amazing clothes collection (the YSL dress is brillant)
convent gardens is amazing too....really cool atmosphere, shops, street acts, resturants, cafes, lots of character
its not where i've been.....its where i'm about to go
babydee86
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby LME79 » Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:21 am

liberalleague wrote:If you want to do any shopping while you're there, I have some more ideas rather than the usual Oxford Circus thing. If you like alternative aned vintage, look around Shoreditch/Brick Lane/Hoxton (there's also tons and tons of really trendy bars and clubs round there). There's also Camden Town which is a laugh. And the new Westfield Shopping centre in west London.

I haven't been to Westfield as I'm over on the east side but definitely try Shoreditch, Brick Lane and Hoxton. The Yelo cafe serves good Thai food, haven't been there for a while though. Also check out Angel (Northern Line) and the surrounding areas if you get time - lots of vintage shops around the back streets and lots of nice independant eateries and bars.

The O2 in North Greenwich (Jubilee line) has a few restaurants and bars and is also home to the British Music Experience - http://www.britishmusicexperience.com/ - it's also a very impressive building if you have the chance.

For other tourist-y type things, there's St. Paul's Cathedral (St. Pauls - Central Line), Tower Bridge (Tower Hill - District and Circle Line), City Hall (London Bridge - Jubileee and Northern Line), ooh, and the South Bank - get off at Embankment (District, Northern and Bakerloo lines), walk across the bridge which will take you to the Royal Festival Hall (sometimes they have free concerts in the foyer in the late morning/early afternoon) and there are loads of cafes and little shops there. Very pretty part of London, plus it's right next door to the London Eye if you decide to go there :)
Piccadilly Circus (Piccadilly and Bakerloo Line) is worth a stop for the Eros statue and the famous horse fountain. It's a stone's throw from Leicester Square and Chinatown too so you won't be bored! THere's a museum there called Ripley's Believe It Or Not which is supposed to be excellent - lastminute.com were doing a 2 for 1 deal on this a while back, it may be worth checking out (for everything in London, not just that :)).

Madame Tussauds is ok but personally I don't think it's worth all that money for all the queuing and standing around that's involved!

Whereabouts are you going to be staying? Wherever it is, I hope you have fun - London's great!
I want to be..a tree..
LME79

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:47 am

rufio89 wrote:Oyster card is better - once you get to the cost of a travel card, it stops :) but you do have to buy the card for £3.

My travel card didn't stop and I more than spent the amount on it. We have "day tickets" on the bus and metro, where you pay a set amount for the day (or week or month) and then you can use it as many or as little times as you want and it only runs out when the date has ran out. My bus "day ticket" pays for it's self if I only do two trips; anything extra I do, I get it as "free" travel.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby babydee86 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:46 am

My travel card didn't stop and I more than spent the amount on it. We have "day tickets" on the bus and metro, where you pay a set amount for the day (or week or month) and then you can use it as many or as little times as you want and it only runs out when the date has ran out. My bus "day ticket" pays for it's self if I only do two trips; anything extra I do, I get it as "free" travel.

this is true if your not getting an oyster then get a day travel card....its a set price...and unlimited on how many times you use it, as long as its within the times which is something like 5.am till 3.am (thats not the excat times just an example)
so you just have to work out depending on how many journeys your likely to mate, if the top up system (oyster) or travel card would be cheaper
its not where i've been.....its where i'm about to go
babydee86
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby pinkroses » Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:21 am

I've lived in London nearly all my life and haven't been to a lot of these places, i'm starting to think I need to get out more, lol
pinkroses
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:32 am

The thing with living somewhere Pinkroses is that you don't "appreciate it" or go and see it like you would if you were a tourist; because it's just normal.

I mean I live in Newcastle and we have some of the mose beautiful architecture on buildings and some of the streets have won awards and stuff for it but I recently went to Edinburgh with the girls from work and they were all saying how much more "pretty and architectural" it was compared to Newcastle. To be honest I think they are wrong. Me and my bf were actually disucssing that we both think Newcastle is one of the nicest places; we have plenty of music venues, lots of art-y places, a theatre, history, it's pretty, it's in a good location, good universities, we have parks in the city centre etc; but like you pinkroses I've never visited the historical or touristy places here. I've been past them on many occasions, I've just never been in them. We even have Europes most in-land nesting kittiwakes - apparently it's all exciting in the bird watching community.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby RagDoll » Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:02 am

Thanks for the handy hints everyone!

Had a fab time in London :) We ended up just purchasing the zone 1 off-peak travel cards to get around and that worked out fine as we were hopping on and off the tube a lot!

The Lion King Musical was brilliant and Ascot was amazing too - won a £100 so that was a bonus!
We don’t see things the way they are; we see things the way we are
RagDoll
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:13 am

Glad to hear you had a great time ragdoll. I also find the travel cards are best especially if you aren't sure what you are doing and as you said hopping on and off.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby captainf » Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:51 pm

dipsydoodlenoodle wrote:The thing with living somewhere Pinkroses is that you don't "appreciate it" or go and see it like you would if you were a tourist; because it's just normal.

Thats a very true point. I lived the first 16yrs of my life living in West London.. I went to Central London on 3 or 4 occasions in 16yrs.. so theres probably tourists whom have seen Big Ben more than me :P

Also rings very true for Cornwall - everyone thinks its a beautiful place and indeed it is but when you live there its no different to living anywhere else. Infact in the winter Cornwall is often hit with the Atlantic storms rolling in (naturally with southwesterly winds being the prevailing winds for us here in the UK) and can be a dangerous place.

MK's nice, but with alot more nicer lakes and parkland than cities like London, Birmingham etc.
Remember how the runway lights looked one night long ago when you were lost and found your way, and how-you still dont know?
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Previous

Return to Chit Chat