Flying and general travel!

This area is for general aimless chit chat.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Re: Flying and general travel!

Postby captainf » Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:57 pm

dipsydoodlenoodle wrote:
captain_flynn wrote:Which company do you normally fly with?

It's Eastern "extraordinarily overpriced " airways. We only have one other plane which flys to Aberdeen although I don't think they do it anymore - no business. The other company used to fly at like 10am and then return at around 2pm - most people go for the day - you can't do anything in the time in between. Eastern Airways at least to a 7am and 11am start and a 4pm and 8pm return so you get a whole day. You always see most of the plane filled with the same faces both ways.

To comply with forum rules ive copied this from the elevator - mode of transport? tread.

Yes, eastern are quite pricey. I know the type of plane you've flown in now. Either the Jetstream 41 (British made) or the Saab 2000. I bet its the Jetstream 41. Nice little regional prop. Eastern airways would be a nice little flying job really. Which was the other company who used to fly the route?

Weasley, just remember the stuff we've discussed. I know its very difficult for you to fly but you have to remember that its just your mind thats causing you the greatest problem. Once you manage to master reminding yourself that theres nothing to worry about you should feel better. Just try your best to sit back and enjoy the flight. Flying is a very nice thing and no matter whether you fly as a passenger or pilot, we're all lucky to do it. Its a wonderful thing seeing the earth from above it.

I've gotta say, I can see where LemonJuice87 is coming from regarding turb. I like it, but for the shear fact that I like how it feels.. haha.

Last year I was lucky enough to fly in an old DC3 and it was a great honour. It was my only time as a passenger and was just purely a flight for enthusiasts and pilots. I enjoyed it very much but it was unfamiliar territory for me as im used to sitting with an array of intruments infront of me. The flight was only for about 30mins or so but was more about the aircraft type than anything else. We took off into a heavy shower (pretty sure it was a CB cloud) and I was so impressed with how little the plane was affected by turb. I'll never forget the beautiful sound of those old radial engines. :bounce:

I remember when I used to fly over Cornwall during my training. I loved it down there. On a beautifully clear day you could see the isles of scilly over 50 miles away. I used to take photos alot when in the air down there and send them to friends in London and before telling them where I took them they'd often reply with 'wow did you go on holiday to the Caribbean?' to which i'd have to say no and that it was St.Ives down below or Falmouth etc. I always have a great sense of freedom up there and its magnificent to be able to fly something accross the sky and watch the country go by down below. I suppose theres also a nice sense of satisfaction of thinking about any young boys and girls on the ground watching me fly over with the same dream I had when I was their age.

Anyway enough of my waffle :P
Remember how the runway lights looked one night long ago when you were lost and found your way, and how-you still dont know?
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:07 pm

captain_flynn wrote:Yes, eastern are quite pricey. I know the type of plane you've flown in now. Either the Jetstream 41 (British made) or the Saab 2000. I bet its the Jetstream 41. Nice little regional prop. Eastern airways would be a nice little flying job really. Which was the other company who used to fly the route?

They have two, one is a 20 seater and the other fits 40 on board maybe, it depends how busy they are. They are very business class, with leather seats and stuff but still WAY overpriced. I've just looked at my last receipt actually from December 2008 and the flight was £373.80. I can fly somewhere exotic out of that!

captain_flynn wrote:Which was the other company who used to fly the route?

I don't remember, it was one of the "cheap" ones, like Flybe or Jet 2...it was one of those I think but I don't remember which.
A hug is a great gift, one size fits all.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby captainf » Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:40 pm

Sounds like you've flown on both types then Dipsy. You'll have to get a photo next time for me to clarify it ;) With their prices it sounds like they're trying to market the business side of things rather than the domestic traveller. Long gone are the days of domestic leisure travel flying sadly.

Hm probably flybe. I cant see Jet2 flying B737's on routes that short! It only requires a prop driven birdy.
Remember how the runway lights looked one night long ago when you were lost and found your way, and how-you still dont know?
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:58 pm

When I ever next go I will. We've not been for over 6months, we usually go regularly. One is definately the saab one you said. They used to have their planes on their site but I couldn't find it when I looked.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby snail » Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:34 pm

Dips, does Fleecie ever send postcards? She should, that'd be great.
How we spend our days is how we spend our lives.

Annie Dillard
snail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby captainf » Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:20 pm

Thanks Dipsy.

By the way, their fleet is listed here..

http://www.easternairways.com/en/traini ... fleet.html

Its a two type fleet.
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby LME79 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:24 pm

Has anyone flown with Continental Airlines before? I'm due to fly with them in August but I don't know much of them. Have read good reviews so far but would be interested to know personal experiences.

I'm soooo much better at flying now, I am pleased to report - the last flight I was on I really really enjoyed. It was only three hours but still, that it something for me as I used to cry on take off and pretty much at every bit of turbulence. I'm now fine during both those things which is great!

Weasley - it will sooooo so be worth it when you get to the US. I know you know that but I'm just reiterating :) Plus, remember that planes can withstand a hell of a lot more than a bit of turbulence but if you do feel scared don't worry - just look at how the airline staff are dealing with it. They've been on loads of flights and I'm sure that however bad your flight feels, they'll have been on much worse. If they're calm and walking around, then tell yourself that there's nothing to worry about. Most cabin staff are brilliant - if you do feel nervous, just buzz them over as they're very reassuring :) xxx
I want to be..a tree..
LME79

Postby captainf » Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:39 pm

Depends where you're flying from but you'll either be on a B757, 767 or 777. All good and safe planes.
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:24 am

snail wrote:Dips, does Fleecie ever send postcards? She should, that'd be great.

She hasn't lol, she generally gets too drunk to send postcards haha. Although now you mention it...
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:27 am

captain_flynn wrote:Thanks Dipsy.

By the way, their fleet is listed here..

http://www.easternairways.com/en/traini ... fleet.html

Its a two type fleet.

The smaller one doesn't have luggage racks on board as well which is a bit annoying but since it's so small they can't. Also the planes are not very tall, like inside. I always bang my head on the ceilling.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby snail » Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:44 am

Dips, or perhaps her holiday boyfriends could send her letters at your parents' house?

I hope Fleecie is careful when she's drunk. You don't want a little lamb turning up 4 and a half months after she's been on one of these holidays. Better send her here for some good advice.
How we spend our days is how we spend our lives.

Annie Dillard
snail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Weasley » Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:19 am

Thanks for your words of wisdom LMS - I too cry at all points during flying and I never seem to get any better no matter how many things I've read and no matter what people tell me! I know deep down that planes are safe but I just hate the sensation they give me - plus there are too many what ifs!!!!

Ahhhh Fleecie! Sounds super cute. I love stuffed animals too - especially Eeyore from Winnie the Pooh. I have several who I call Big Eeyore, Drunk Eeyore and Baby Eeyore. I sound pathetic!!! :oops:
xxx :)
Weasley
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby rufio89 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:30 am

its less than a week till you fly isnt it?? Im so excited for you, make sure you dont forget all about us when youre all loved up!!!
rufio89
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:42 am

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41XSX2RC9EL._SL500_AA280_.jpg Thats what my fleecie looks like; although my fleecie has a little hippy t-shirt on haha (and is quite clearly cuter).

I have a big Eeyore pj case; my friend got it for my birthday a few years ago haha. I also have an Eeyoure hot water bottle and case.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby captainf » Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:42 pm

Dipsy,
Yeah they are quite small. I think cabin crew height requirement is something like under 5'3.. even im taller than that and im a shorty at 5'6.. :P

Weasley, best of luck with your flights. Remember, to all your if's and but's, those of us who fly have the answers ;)

I got a late birthday present today. A radar box. Its pretty cool, I can see and track flights that are local to me and find out the type, reg, airline :P Very addictive for someone like me.

Nice little teddy ;)
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

PreviousNext

Return to Chit Chat