Flying and general travel!

This area is for general aimless chit chat.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Re: Flying and general travel!

Postby captainf » Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:10 pm

The reason why the responsibility is much bigger in flying an aircraft is because of the safety factor and an aircraft is generally much bigger than a car, can often carry more people and generally if a plane happens to come down its impact area can be larger (including destroying a few houses) and the loss of life is generally a bigger figure. All that taken into consideration puts a great pressure on the pilot and therefore the responsibility is greater.

So how do you ladies feel about this..

http://www.news.com.au/travel/story/0,2 ... 90,00.html

Aeroflot wants pretty and slim Cabin crew..
Remember how the runway lights looked one night long ago when you were lost and found your way, and how-you still dont know?
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby RagDoll » Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:27 pm

Yeh, I know what you're saying, but you mentioned before that flying is safer than driving as there are more driving accidents, therefore, in a way, there's just as much responsibility involved when you drive a car somewhere. There would probably be less accidents if people did drive more responsibly.

I think that's probably what all airlines want, they just don't come out and say it. Someone I used to be friends with was once an air stewardess and she said BA lined the potential staff up in their uniforms to basically see how good they all looked. They also paid for them to get their nails done etc. - it's all about image.
We don’t see things the way they are; we see things the way we are
RagDoll
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby captainf » Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:40 pm

Flying is safer - its harder to get your licences to fly and generally only those who have the required intelligence, maturity and level of responsibility make it. There are more accidents on the road but this is down to irresponsible drivers. Unless you've flown a plane yourself its hard to understand what I mean regarding to level of responsibility, but you're the first person i've come accross who believes driving and flying are equal. Driving requires responsibility, but when you're in charge of a machine that costs anything from thousands to millions of pounds + the lives and cargo onboard then the responsibility level is raised abit more. This isnt an ego thing or anything of the sort, its just the general truth.

I agree with you regarding to cabin crew - All airlines want the slim pretty ones because it gives a good company image.
Remember how the runway lights looked one night long ago when you were lost and found your way, and how-you still dont know?
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby RagDoll » Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:48 pm

I don't think they're necessarily equal, I just said I don't think they're 'worlds apart'.

Yeh, I suppose so, though it does kinda perpetuate the negative stereotypes about them I guess!
RagDoll
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:51 pm

Without stepping into an argument, Ragdoll didn't say flying and driving were the same. She just said she didn't know if they were as far apart as Flynn was saying.

In regards to flying and driving. Flying will always be more "thorough" because there are human lives to take into consideration, however the small car-plane wouldn't have loads of passenger.

It's the same thing for pipes, I do risk assessments on subsea pipelines, the section with the greatest risk is ALWAYS the bit closest to the platform PURELY becasuse there are human lives to consider, it doesn't make that area of the pipe more unstable, it's just IF something happens to it then the consequences would be worse...they don't want another Piper Alpha.
A hug is a great gift, one size fits all.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby captainf » Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:18 pm

In regards to flying and driving. Flying will always be more "thorough" because there are human lives to take into consideration, however the small car-plane wouldn't have loads of passenger.

Yeah I agree that a car-plane wouldnt take as many passengers but flying overall is still a bigger responsibility because its not just the life factor that is to be considered. For example these flying cars, just like planes will be able to fly over your house. You wouldnt want wreckless boy racers low levelling your house or having these car-planes crashing into your roof or bedroom. Atleast with cars on the ground houses generally have a wall in the front garden as a line of defence, even the curb can take alot of momentum out of a cars speed, whereas from the air your house has no line of defence against anything.

I have no problem with agreeing to disagree here, its just in this topic im the only one qualified to not only see, but understand the differences as I do both.
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby captainf » Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:20 pm

Yeh, I suppose so, though it does kinda perpetuate the negative stereotypes about them I guess!

Sorry, I missed this previously.
Yeah I agree. How sad, but I suppose the accountants and Chairmans see the profit of the company as more important. I dont agree with their outlook but they run the show :(
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby RagDoll » Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:29 pm

I have an amusing image of boy racers in the sky now lol.

Yeh, it is kinda sad. Actually, my cousin is an air stewardess even though she has a psychology degree, she started doing it as a stop-gap thing after uni, but loved the hours etc. so stuck at it! I think if I were her the stereotypes would annoy me because she is actually intelligent.

The thing is though Flynn, I could have adopted that attitude with regards to Town Planning in my 'masters application' thread, but I didn't as I think others (e.g. you in that instance) are entitled to an opinion even if they're not as 'qualified' as me.
RagDoll
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby snail » Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:30 pm

dipsydoodlenoodle wrote:Without stepping into an argument, Ragdoll didn't say flying and driving were the same. She just said she didn't know if they were as far apart as Flynn was saying.

FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT!

captain_flynn wrote:I have no problem with agreeing to disagree here,

Bah! You've already sorted it out. You lot are no fun [-(
How we spend our days is how we spend our lives.

Annie Dillard
snail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby captainf » Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:14 pm

I think stewardesses put up with it quite well. I've talked to a few and they all love the job. I think the stereotype is a small price to pay for flying all over the world and having a job you enjoy doing.

The thing is though Flynn, I could have adopted that attitude with regards to Town Planning in my 'masters application' thread, but I didn't as I think others (e.g. you in that instance) are entitled to an opinion even if they're not as 'qualified' as me.

The factors are very different. People will have to live in the towns you plan hence why they are entitled to their opinion on the matter because its their standard of living that we were discussing there. I used my experience of living in various places to explain that. In terms of flying as a pilot im the only one here whos had to undertake that responsibility, as a driver of a car too I also understand the responsibility of that too and due to this I have a greater understanding of the responsibility on me driving a car aswell as flying a plane.. I'm not saying you are wrong just because I have done it and you havent, i'm just saying my experience of having done both means I know the difference. The responsibility of cars and flying cannot be compared to your town planning topic because that is a different concept.
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby captainf » Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:15 pm

haha Snail, glad its some form of entertainment for you :P
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby RagDoll » Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:24 pm

Equally I could say that I have 'done' town planning though and you haven't, I think it's the same argument.

You're basically saying you have a right to comment on town planning because you've lived in different localities, therefore surely I have a right to comment on flying as I've been on an aeroplane?!

I'm leaving it there, all I'm saying is that just because you're an 'expert' in flying doesn't mean that with regards to subjective matters, you're necessarily right or the only one entitled to an opinion.
RagDoll
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby captainf » Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:34 pm

Gosh, ragdoll. Arent you in a jolly mood this afternoon?

I am saying that when you plan a town the people in it have their own opinion on what its like and whether its suitable. They are allowed to do so because its about their standard of living, their lifestyle, their home. I used my experience of living in various places to back up what I was saying. I didnt claim to be an expert in town planning nor did I with flying. You did bring up numerous times about having experience in town planning just as I bring up my flying experience - thats no problem as you use this information to show your experience and theres nothing wrong with that. As I stated I respect the fact that is something you do and you know more about town planning than I do, just as I know more about flying than you do.

Feel free to form an opinion on the food on the plane and quality of service but considering that you have no experience as a pilot do you reckon you have good enough judgement to form an opinion on the decisions they make? Just to summarise something - town planning is different to being a pilot - town planning is about where people live and work. Flying, for most, is a few hours sitting in the cabin watching the IFE or looking out of the window - hardly something to affect your whole life, unless it crashes.

Like I said, you're free to form your own opinion but comparing town planning and flying just doesnt wash with me.
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby RagDoll » Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:39 pm

You have a knack of putting people in good moods Flynn
Last edited by RagDoll on Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RagDoll
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby captainf » Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:46 pm

Hmm! Thanks for the comment, Ragdoll. Quite unneccessary I should think.

We debated a topic and we both disagreed. Theres no real problem. I never said I was an expert on anything
I understand that some members arent very fond of me but thats fine. I know members here who I get on with well and even know in person.
I'm really not as horrible as you might think.
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

PreviousNext

Return to Chit Chat