Flying and general travel!

This area is for general aimless chit chat.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Re: Flying and general travel!

Postby captainf » Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:31 pm

Sad news but atleast the passengers walked away..

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-p ... 182962.stm
Remember how the runway lights looked one night long ago when you were lost and found your way, and how-you still dont know?
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:47 pm

I read it earlier. I was going to say someone died...but then I read you said
captainf wrote:atleast the passengers walked away
A hug is a great gift, one size fits all.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby captainf » Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:07 pm

Yeah. Trouble is the report says the pilot died. Commercial ops require 2 crew - so I assume they mean the Captain. Sad news.
Atleast the passengers seem to be okay.
Remember how the runway lights looked one night long ago when you were lost and found your way, and how-you still dont know?
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby Bel Bel » Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:33 pm

LME79 wrote:Economy for BA. Quite comfortable as far as economy goes, too - I've got quite long legs and some economy class planes means that I end up with my knees touching my ears. That's an exaggeration obviously, but you catch my drift. When I go on honeymoon (when the time comes) I want to fly with Virgin. A few of my friends have flown long haul with Virgin, and one has worked for Virgin as cabin crew, and I've heard nothing but good things in terms of comfort and staff attitude. I mean comfort in the sense of leg room and seats, not films and tetris in the back of the chair in front.

I recommned upgrading to premium for your honeymoon if you can afford it. Even if you do it one way it's much better than standard. We did premium on way out and standard on the way back. In hindsight should have done it the other way round as we flew back from Hawaii via LAX on way back but only went to LAS Vegas on the way out.
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby captainf » Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:38 am

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-storie ... -21569711/

Gotta love the journalist who wrote that and stated it was a Boeing 747.. Been a long time since continental operated the B747's.. :lol: :roll:
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby RagDoll » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:06 am

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/nort ... 181766.stm

That's the hot air balloon we're supposed to be going up in on Sunday, haha
We don’t see things the way they are; we see things the way we are
RagDoll
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby rufio89 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:08 am

oooh no RagDoll!! Do they have a replacement?
rufio89
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:27 am

Hopefully it still goes ahead!
A hug is a great gift, one size fits all.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby RagDoll » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:07 am

Well we haven't been told otherwise, so I am assuming it's still going ahead. You have to call the night before to check whether it's got the go ahead (which usually depends on weather conditions, not whether some has stolen the equipment!) so I guess it might say that it can't go ahead then?! They've got the balloon back now which I guess is the main thing.
RagDoll
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby captainf » Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:07 pm

I'm surprised they kept it at a farm. I know of atleast one thats kept at an airfields hangar, but virgin have a large fleet so I suppose its very costly to keep them stored in hangars everywhere. Not sure why some idiot would want to nick the balloon etc Although the the inflation fans are still missing, I guess they must get very hot in the summer time.. Its a shame that people do this and cannot be trusted. They have done similar things to aircraft that have diverted into farmers fields after engine failure in recent times too. Perhaps once caught they should be made to pay for the damage they've caused - which probably means they'll have to work a life time to pay it off and deservedly so.

Now they have the balloon back it should be okay to fly you - afterall they say the checks have been completed on it and its servicable.

In addition if it was found to be U/S (Unservicable) they could always bring in another balloon as Virgin has a big fleet of them that fly all over the country ranging from Devon all the way up to Scotland. Last year we had one of the Scottish virgin balloons flying over Milton Keynes so ours was probably U/S at the time.

When do you fly, Ragdoll?
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby captainf » Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:09 pm

Nevermind - I re-read what you wrote - you're flying sunday.. where are you flying from again, i've forgotten?
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby RagDoll » Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:15 pm

We go from York racecourse, I just hope that we get ok weather so that we can fly (third time lucky!). I would imagine we might have to wait until next year if not as they stop flying in September sometime and flights for that month are likely to be booked up already.
RagDoll
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby captainf » Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:26 pm

Well I have just checked sunday mornings weather for york racecourse and it states a wind of about 200 at 04 (South/southwesterly at 4mph) with cloud cover at 8 Oktas (overcast) possibility of rain. It could change over the coming days. I'll keep an eye out for you. Mind you though I took this photo with my old camera when the weather was rubbish which I uploaded to my current flickr account..

http://www.flickr.com/photos/29170077@N05/2888586548/

So you may still get to fly!

Can I ask where you found out they dont fly after september? Its just i've seen them in October and January over MK. Normally between 12 and 4pm.
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby RagDoll » Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:30 pm

Thanks, I hope that forecast is wrong and the weather is a bit better than that. Sunday is still quite a long way off to accurately predict the weather, so hopefully the forecast will change in our favour :)

It's in the info we received when I booked the tickets - they commence flying again in March.
RagDoll
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby captainf » Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:37 pm

Yeah it can still change and I hope it does for you. I know too well how frustrating the weather can be.

Thats quite interesting info. I wonder if that was specific to the area you're flying from? I can only take a guess and say that MK is either an all year service or October - February is private rental for special occassions.

I've never flown in a balloon. Its the only aircraft type i've not yet been in.
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

PreviousNext

Return to Chit Chat