Flying and general travel!

This area is for general aimless chit chat.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Re: Flying and general travel!

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:41 am

captain_flynn wrote:Was just looking a news website. Apparently a continental captain died inflight today. Thats quite sad :( The plane landed not long ago. There was 2 other pilots onboard though (which is normal long haul)

I read that too; also that he died of natural causes.

The think with health checks is that you can be checked and deemed healthy and then a day later you can die of natural causes.

It's unfortunate.
A hug is a great gift, one size fits all.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby pinkroses » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:23 am

I love flying, I just sometimes get quite bad earache and my hearing just gets very muffled which lasts about 2 days, which I don't think is normal but have never had checked out, and that spoils it for me.
pinkroses
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Postby Bel Bel » Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:57 pm

my hubby had that for about 12 hours once
now he refuses to clean his ears out for at least a week before and after being on a plane, normally he has an obsession with doing it too often
he hasn't had it since but i think thats just coincidence
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby captainf » Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:00 pm

Its a shame that Emirates treated you guys so poorly. Although I stated on another topic that i've not done passenger flying before, apart from in an old airliner, but that flight was specific to pilots + enthusiasts. So on the whole i've only ever been pilot, and passenger once. :)

Pinkroses the problem is likely to be caused by the change in air pressure during climbing and descending. I've never had the problems you speak of but its always worth getting it checked out by your doctor. Flying is something we should all be allowed to enjoy!

Bel Bel, I clean my ears daily and i've never had the problem. Although sometimes flying can cause more wax than usual.

Dipsy, you're right, its one of them things you can't detect.
Remember how the runway lights looked one night long ago when you were lost and found your way, and how-you still dont know?
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:04 pm

dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby captainf » Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:36 pm

haha Thats hilarious and I think all I can say is refer back to my post on here about the horizontal stabilizer (known to you as the wings at the back) and weight and balance.

Plane not fit to fly? I have to laugh that passengers actually believed they could define a plane was unfit to fly when contrary to what they thought they plane was fine.

Its just like weighing scales, balance out the weight and its all equal. I might add that every pilot, whether flying a microlight or flying a B747 has to do the fuel calculations, weight and balance calculations amongst other things.

I know I shouldnt laugh but come'on, if the pilots are willing to fly it then its safe, afterall pilots can also die too so I can say as a pilot myself that I dont know any pilot who will take a plane that has detramental defects into the air.

Im surprised that even made the news.
Remember how the runway lights looked one night long ago when you were lost and found your way, and how-you still dont know?
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:39 pm

Well it made it to our local news, online. I don't know if it made the TV.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby rufio89 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:41 pm

oh my word, if i was there, I would personally punch each of those 70 people in the face for delaying my flight.
rufio89
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:48 pm

I'm just imagining the flight announcement "the flight was unfortunately delayed further when an angry customer got off the plane and punched each one in the face separately".
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby rufio89 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:55 pm

haha :)

I think everyone on the plane would agree it would be worth the further delay.
rufio89
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby captainf » Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:06 pm

I certainly think it would be worth the delay rufio and would support you in punching them. ;)
It makes me laugh to think passengers who have never piloted nor fixed an aircraft in all their life should know what is and isnt an airworthy plane.. Inwhich case if passengers know so much without any knowledge of flying why am I throwing away £60,000 on flight training? I should just turn up at heathrow and fly a virgin atlantic B747 without training.. :roll:
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:59 am

Well it was on our local news last night; plus there will be an "extended" thing on it tonight ARGHHHHHHH.

There was a group of 17 year olds saying they refused to get on the plane and said "we have no money to get home" - apparently Thomas Cook weren't very interested. It seems like those 17 year olds got another flight home and had to pay "hundreds" ... I bet they get loads of sympathy, compensation and loads of refunds. Joy! I can't say I'll be watching it tonight.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby captainf » Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:00 pm

Yes, amazing what stupidity can do.. I wonder, shall I listen to the pilots that the plane is safe or a bunch of kids? :roll:

Thomas Cook had every right not to be interested. Those people chose not to board a plane that was absolutely fine. The company has no obligation to pay compensation. If those passengers look in the contract, it doesnt state that you get compensation for choosing not to board a plane thats fit for flight.

I personally wouldnt of told the passengers anything, let them board. Its abit like saying 'oh this seat is broken so we cant use it' so about 70 dont board on that account.
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby LME79 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:04 am

Ok people, what is THEEEEE best airline you've travelled with (as in service wise etc)? Mine has to be Cathay Pacific. There was a girl next to me who was scared of flying and they really did keep an eye on her - plus the movies were wicked, the staff were brilliant at all times and it was a flight in comfort. Did a similar route with Fly Emirates and they didnt want to know, unless you were business class + (I'm not the only person that has experienced this). I do not like snobbery! British Airways to LAX were BRILLIANT as well - always checked to see if you were comfy! Asian Spirit was good too - tiny plane, but everyone happy!
I want to be..a tree..
LME79

Postby captainf » Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:10 am

Trouble is the airline industry is full of snobbery, infact, its always been built on it.

As for best airline, Air Atlantique. No doubt about it.

I do have to ask though as alot of people say things like this 'Eventhough it was a small plane...' Is there specifically a problem with a small plane? Its just from a pilots perspective I can say with my hand on my heart that small ones fly just aswell as them big ones. Infact, in a dire situation you could just land an islander or twin otter in a field thanks to their STOL capabilities but you couldnt do that in a B747..
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

PreviousNext

Return to Chit Chat